New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

The Quest Pro by Strod
[October 13, 2022, 01:16:51 pm]

No Man's Sky Beyond VR by Tbone
[September 24, 2022, 04:47:52 pm]

Author Topic: "Matrix: Resurrections" Theories  (Read 9384 times)

Offline Ash

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
Re: "Matrix: Resurrections" Theories
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2021, 01:37:29 pm »
Overall takeaway?  Was it worth the wait?

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men"

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2021, 05:58:01 pm »
Overall takeaway?  Was it worth the wait?
No. I mean, it was a Matrix movie, so yes, but the second half felt like a generic 2021 action movie with a Matrix skin on it. It's like Lana was saying in the first half "I'm not just going to do another reboot/sequel movie" and then saying in the second half "well fine, I'll do it - but I'm going to half-ass it."

Offline Jeyk

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.followtheangel.org
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2021, 06:27:27 pm »
On a second watch - after my obsessive hype died down - I can see more of what others were disappointed with.  I’m rather easy to please when it comes to film, and I still enjoyed many aspects of it.  My question, however, is:  what did you love, what did you hate?

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2021, 01:31:55 pm »
On a second watch - after my obsessive hype died down - I can see more of what others were disappointed with.  I’m rather easy to please when it comes to film, and I still enjoyed many aspects of it.  My question, however, is:  what did you love, what did you hate?
Loved:

-The modal stuff and the concept of humans creating programs within the Matrix as well as programs finding "bodies" outside the Matrix.
-Neo & Trinity having amnesia and living as bluepills again.
-The possibility that the original trilogy was going to be retconned as just existing in this crazy dude's head. Obviously it would have sucked if that turned out to be true, but I liked them toying with our expectations there.
-Upgrading parts of the Matrix to make it make sense (no phone booths - mirrors instead).
-The first half when things got crazy and then got reset. Wanted more of that.

Hated:

-Combat was downgraded. Bad editing in many fight scenes.
-Way too many direct flashes of the original trilogy. The meta "Matrix games" should have used UE5 CG of the original movies instead of actual footage, and I didn't need the "remember this" flashes.
-Smith was just...around? He really didn't seem to serve a purpose other than "Hey, it's Smith! He's still around too!"
-Merv's rant was...a lot.
-I was fine with NPH, but I was not fine with the weird effect they were using for his monologuing. Big bullet time downgrade.
-Meta stuff was a double edged sword. At times it seemed the story suffered to push the symbolism instead. "Warner Bros wants us to make a fourth Matrix and people are just gonna want action!" K...we get it...
-The Morpheus program was an interesting idea, but not sure why he was supposed to be half Morpheus/half Smith, and it was weird how some people just embraced him as the "real Morpheus".
-Movie devolved into a standard rescue mission once Neo was freed. No more twists and turns.
-60 year time jump seemed unnecessary. I guess they needed it to explain IO.
-No mention of Tbone and the Furious Angels, the true heroes after Neo was gone.
-Morpheus' fate was rewritten, though I don't think a reference to an assassin made of flies would have gone over well...lol.
-"I still know kung fu" (cringe)
-Honestly, maybe the ending. I sort of feel like they should have jumped off that building and never be seen again unless they make another movie and then that could be misdirect. They were both freed from Machine City, so they could die in peace without fear of the Machines just reviving them and throwing them back in.
-Fans of the original trilogy were put in a BAD light here. I don't know that it was intentional, but Jude came across as the voice of the fans - annoyingly bringing up both the action elements and the philosophical elements of the original trilogy as well as trying to force a Neo/Trinity romance again. I get that he was symbolic for the fans' expectations, but it came across as derogatory towards anyone who enjoyed the original trilogy.
-It really, really felt like Lana does not want there to be a Matrix video game

* Discord

Calendar

March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 85