Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Star Citizen - Ship Size Comparison  (Read 13864 times)

Offline Maglorius

• RIFTER
  • Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
Star Citizen - Ship Size Comparison
« on: December 12, 2014, 11:57:38 pm »
Here is a quick look at the ship comparison sizes that will be in Star Citizen.

Just for reference the ships listed below are the ones I currently have in my hangar.

F7C-M Super Hornet
MISC Freelancer
RSI Constellation Andromeda
Origin 300i
RSI Aurora LX

Offline Maglorius

• RIFTER
  • Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen - Ship Size Comparison
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 10:49:30 am »
Looks like I will be adding this ship to my hangar in Star Citizen.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ships/aegis-retaliator/Retaliator#holo-viewer

Retaliator

Focus:
Long-Range Bomber

Length:
70 meters

Mass:
65,100 Kg

Max Crew:
8 persons

Cargo Capacity:
720 freight units

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 12:00:38 pm »
$275??

Ok, you guys are getting taken advantage of. That's just a ridiculous price for a digital item for a game that isn't even out yet. They are never going to release this game because they are making more money on the promise of stuff that they'll probably make less money once people actually get in the game and have an opportunity to lose interest.

There's no way we should be supporting the practice of charging such an exorbitant amount for a digital item 0.o

Offline Maglorius

• RIFTER
  • Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 01:35:14 pm »
It's not really about buying digital items, for me is about supporting the production of a game that I have always dreamed of playing. I have full confidence that Chris Roberts and his team will deliver as promised. Some of the updates were delayed to the Hangar module and Arena Commander but that's part of development. The game will be sold just as Elite Dangerous was when it finally released, everything that is purchased with donations will be obtainable in game.

SC stopped doing stretch goals after they reached 65 million on the project, they also just topped over 70 million. So they gained another 5 million for the project with no extras involved.

I honestly don't feel I am getting taken advantage of. The only difference between Star Citizen and a major game developer is where the money for the project is coming from. The return of investment for me will be the satisfaction of playing a game that isn't driven by a big game developer like EA, it’s driven by the community of likeminded gamers. Will I get a monetary gain from my investment, no but that's not why I put up money to support the development process.

If you look back to Elite Dangerous kick starter campaign they had the same structure as Star Citizen, so what is the difference between supporting ED over SC? Even Chris Roberts donated money to ED's success.

Here is a link to ED's and SC's original campaign, if you look on the side you will see the packages they offered.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous   
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen?ref=nav_search

Even the movie industry is moving to Kickstarter, look at Veronica Mars movie project that pulled in over 5 million from 90k backers. I wonder how many people that supported ED in its infancy stages were told they were being taken advantage of for supporting a game that wasn’t out yet. There is no difference here.

Is Star Citizen extremely ambitious, of course it is but so was the very first airplane. This project continues to add backers because they believe in the project and the people behind it, I am not asking anyone in FA to jump on a funding campaign with me, I am just sharing information on the game and ongoing processes because I know we all enjoy playing games.  I guess my passion for Star Citizen is fueled by all the successful games that Chris Roberts produced, I played them all and I know he has a great vision for video games.

If you don't want me to post about SC anymore, I have no problems with remaining silent on the subject.

I forgot to add something.

The amount of money that I have put up is no different then having a monthly subscription to an MMO for 6 years.

The Matrix Online - 4 years, $180 a year for service, $900 for 4 years.

Ultima Online - I paid for two accounts for almost 10 years, that is close to $3k of entertainment spread over 10 years. I sold the accounts and made close to $1k back.

World of Warcraft - I played WoW for almost 6 years, looking at an est of $1,079 total.

This doesn't include the other MMO's I played over the years.

If I can get a couple of years of entertainment out of SC, to me it would be worth it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 06:19:04 pm by Maglorius »

Offline Maglorius

• RIFTER
  • Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 06:51:58 pm »
When I look at Star Citizen and see the vision for this game my brain wraps around the ideas of every Scifi movie or game I have ever watched or played. From the very first time I watch Star Wars and seen the heroes of the movie blast off into space with the Millennium Falcon I was amazed and drawn into the Scifi world.

Over the years what fascinated me was that every Scifi space movie I watched there was a cast of people that made up the crew of the ship. From every generation of Star Trek, to Star Wars and even Spaceballs, LOL. There was a crew that worked together as a team on every space ship in every movie but that was not the case with games.

When Chris Roberts came out with the Wing Commander games I was able to jump into a cockpit and blast my way into space, I was hooked on space games. In the Wing Commander games Chris was able to add the element of being part of a crew on a massive carrier by using it as a way to create the story lines of the games. You could move around the carrier and talk to people with using pre determined lines and you were able to walk around the ship to see different areas, but back then it was move for the visuals then function.     

One of the things that was missing from Space Sims back then was the ability to capture other ships and keep them for yourself. I always wanted to fly my fighter into battle and land on a capital ship and take it over with a boarding party, that just sounds like a whole lot of fun but that wasn't possible back in the days.

When Star Citizen was announced and I started following it very closely, I didn't invest right away. I observed for awhile before I got involved as a backer. As the game development process was underway I started reading into the game mechanics and I was absolutely sold on the project. The one thing that continues to play over and over again in my head is playing with a large group of people on one ship and taking that same group of people and boarding another ship to take it over. This is what plays over in my head, one mission could be like, capture the Idris frigate, The first stage of the mission would be to take down the enemy fighters. Then you would need to shootout the defenses by disabling the guns turrets or shooting them off completely. And then you would take the smaller ships with a hand full of soldiers, board the frigate and take it over. Basically, seamlessly going from flying around in space to getting aboard the ship and getting into a first-person shooter fight.

"That's the dream. That's the dream."

* Discord

Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online