Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic - Official Thread  (Read 44753 times)

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
Star Wars: The Old Republic - Official Thread
« on: June 07, 2009, 07:02:59 am »
As many of you know, SW:TOR is an MMO being created by Bioware (need I say more?). The game takes place in the Star Wars galaxy approximately three hundred years after the events of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

Why am I so excited about this game? Well I wasn't until I read this - 'Traditionally MMOs are built on three pillars; Exploration, Combat, and Progression. BioWare and LucasArts believe there is a fourth pillar: Story. Our mission is to create the best story-driven games in the world. We believe that the compelling, interactive storylines in Star Wars: The Old Republic are a significant innovation to MMOs and will offer an entertainment experience unlike any other'. Sounds good, eh? Your character will effect the environment around you and the character following you (I guess via a similar system like KOTOR2's Influence system).

Will I be able to play on the Light or Dark side of the Force?

Yes, during character selection you will align with the Republic or the Sith Empire. In addition, throughout the game you will also be faced with many decisions which can change your path down the Light or Dark side of the Force.

When does SW:TOR happen, in relation to the Movies?

It takes place more than 3,500 years before the rise of Darth Vader. So, there's a shit load of room to play around in with this vastly un-explored era.

Sooo.... how does this relate to SW:KOTOR??

At the conclusion of the Jedi Civil War in KOTOR, Revan disappeared into unknown space in search of a great threat to the Republic, an expanding Sith Empire led by a mysterious Emperor who planned vengeance for his ancient Jedi enemies. Revan never returned from unknown space, but the Sith Empire did, kicking off a war with the Republic that lasted for decades. Now, despite the uneasy truce created by the Treaty of Coruscant, the tension among the divided star systems is threatening to once again tear the galaxy apart.

I am saddened about this - I would've loved it if there was a KOTOR 3 to finish the storyline and THEN they could've done this MMO.

Will any KOTOR Characters be in the Game?

Well, it is 300 years AFTER the series, so most probably no. However, many of their descendants will be part of SW:TOR. Some droids can last a long time as well, meatbag.

What classes are there in SW:TOR?

They're being revealed one by one, so details are short. But, we can assume that there's definately going to be Jedi and Sith archetypes. Trooper and Bounty Hunter have been confirmed.

More Info please, KthxBye

.... fine. Here's a timeline narration... pretty cool (there are 2 stories at the moment), story telling trailer, webcomic

Anything else that's truely awesome?

Oh, shit. Yeah << I swear that's better than the entire saga.

Discuss.... anyone else thinking of playing this?

There's no release date as of yet but it's ETA is 2010.

Offline ZephixLeer (Zephic)

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic - Official Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 09:09:33 am »
They've also confirmed smuggler as a light-side class. For whatever reason, it isn't officially up, but you can find talk of it all over the forums if you look hard enough. I could have sworn i even saw a holonet entry for it... I'll post a link if i find it again, but you can find an entry about a smuggler that breaks the mandalorian blockade with help from the republic as well as talk of a smuggler "cover" system that will be in place.

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 12:07:00 pm »
Yeah - that's in the timeline link I posted (the smuggler breaking the blockade). I would've thought that Smuggler would definately be a class. Word on the street is that there are loads of different classes available and sub-classes like Jedi Guardian/Sentinel/Consular etc.

Offline Setun

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 12:23:28 pm »
Hmm...if the Jedi / Sith combat systems look decently fluid I'd try them out.  Otherwise for sure I'm going with one of the soldier classes.

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://omeganerd.com
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 12:31:42 pm »
What's the meat and potatoes of the game?  Skill based like SWG or levels?  Sandbox or theme park?  Open pvp?
"To the darkened skies once more and ever onward."

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 04:37:00 pm »
It looks to be more themepark than sandbox, but I'd imagine it's "meat and potatoes" is story. The replayability will be immense considering each class has its own storyarch and ability to choose light/dark.

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 05:42:17 pm »
Details are a little sketchy, so I don't know. PvP is a deffo - even if it means certain areas/planets. I'm seriously looking forward to alignment - you can decide to kill your captain if you're a Sith but if you do so, a replacement captain will be shipped in who has less experience than his/her predecessor and so fucks up.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 05:49:31 pm »
This game interests me mainly due to their focus on story. MxO was the perfect combination of competitive PvP and story, especially during the live events. Darkfall has the PvP without the story, and I find I'm desperately missing it, trying to hold on to my own justifications for the PvP.

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 05:58:04 am »
Quote from: "Tbone"
This game interests me mainly due to their focus on story. MxO was the perfect combination of competitive PvP and story, especially during the live events. Darkfall has the PvP without the story, and I find I'm desperately missing it, trying to hold on to my own justifications for the PvP.

I was sold at 'Bioware'. Their story making is the best, hands down and Star Wars is one th best stories told, hands down. Imagine taking whole worlds for your faction? Uggghhh - I want this game now :(

On a side note, does anyone read SW novels at all? Are they any good? Can anyone recommend one or two for me? I'm thinking of buying a few.

Offline Erathaol

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 09:23:09 pm »
On a side note, does anyone read SW novels at all? Are they any good? Can anyone recommend one or two for me? I'm thinking of buying a few.

The Rogue Squadron books by Michael Stackpole are AMAZING.  I greatly enjoy Stackpole as a writer, and I'm a huge fan of Wedge Antilles and the starfighter dogfights in the movies so it's a great fit.  There's also the Wraith Squadron books in the same series by Aaron Alliston, and while they are enjoyable in their own way, they're quite a bit different than Stackpole's style.  
Other than those, though, I avoid most of the Star Wars books as their seem far too "fanfic-y" for my tastes.

So yes, I highly recommend the X-Wing series if you're interested in reading SW novels.  You won't be disappointed.

Offline Adad

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 09:27:20 pm »
When I was younger I read a handful.  I recommend the Han Solo Trilogy and the Bounty Hunter chronicles.

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 11:00:41 pm »
Quote from: "Subb"
Quote from: "Tbone"

I was sold at 'Bioware'. Their story making is the best, hands down and Star Wars is one th best stories told, hands down. Imagine taking whole worlds for your faction? Uggghhh - I want this game now :(

Start with the Jedi Academy Trilogy!

* Jedi Search by Kevin J. Anderson
    * Dark Apprentice by Kevin J. Anderson
    * Champions of the Force by Kevin J. Anderson

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 11:11:46 pm »
Also this comic is where Luke actually joined the darkside!  http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Empire

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 01:27:17 am »
Dark Empire looks good, for sure. However, I'm not sure I like the idea that Luke Skywalker is so easily turned after the events of his father's death. That was what really haunted him and even made him consider the dark side.

Not to mention, the prophecy was always that Anakin (AKA Vader) would bring balance to the force. It was just through his death that he was to have brought balance.

So, it seems prophecies mean very little in the Star Wars universe, I guess. Either way, I'm sure it'd be a great read.

Offline Jeyk

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.followtheangel.org
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 01:36:57 am »
As Adad mentioned, the Hans Solo Trilogy was great; also, I hear that "The Hand of Thrawn" trilogy is a good read.

* Discord

Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 111