Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Our Next MMO (2010?)  (Read 4106 times)

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
Our Next MMO (2010?)
« on: June 12, 2009, 05:05:29 pm »
So our nominations so far for 2010...

The Agency - Everyone loves spies. Missions, an easily changeable class system, modern setting. There's a lot of good. PvP is still an unanswered question, and the demos so far seem to imply the game holds your hand for every step of the way. We like the setting and premise, but will it be too watered-down and cheesy for our taste?

Star Wars: The Old Republic - An MMO that promises to bring story to the forefront can't help but get us drooling - especially in a universe as deep as Star Wars and considering we've been in the non-lore world of Darkfall. KOTOR was obviously a popular single-player experience, and the companies working on the game have done some amazing things in the past. Still, it's too early to tell exactly how this game is going to shape up. A nice cinematic trailer sure looks appealing, but details of the game itself is what ultimately will determine what this game will be.

APB - Coming from left field, this game looks like GTA Online. Urban setting, guns, cars, good guys vs. bad guys. They claim to have a matchmaking system that pits you against players of the opposing organization (i.e. bad guys are stealing a car, good guys of similar level who are in area will be notified of the theft and the matchmaking mission will begin). The customization of characters and clothes is also very appealing (white uniforms again!). Once again, though, it is too early to tell how the game will function. There's no particularly deep story yet, and skill systems and leveling haven't really been talked about.

So why are these games on our "to watch" list? I think it's the modern setting (lack of fantasy elf ears world), the focus on clans/organizations, a competitive spirit, and at least the potential or a deep story.

For now we continue with Darkfall - honing our skills in a FFA PvP universe. The Agency still remains at the forefront of the next step, but with the new information on Star Wars: The Old Republic and APB, we potentially have a lot of good options for the future!

Offline Lithium

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://followtheangel.org
Re: Our Next MMO (2010?)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 06:46:39 pm »
I'm already getting unimpressed with the The Agency media that is being released, and SOE is a lame company.

APB seems like a fun sandbox game, but I worry our mystery persona and in-depth ideas and mythology will be too much for the maturity of the game!

Star War honestly seems like the best fit for our personality. It will have modernistic feel, it will have a story with clear lines of alliance, plenty of roleplay and mystery to strike up. Heck, "Follow the Angel" might become a relevant slogan to use again! I'd say this is the best game to watch and get our hands into, earlier the better.

Don't believe everything you think.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 08:07:27 pm »
I am kinda leaning that same direction, Lithium, but I think we should give all of these games a chance to find the best fit. I'm kind of excited to have options. That way we aren't trying to "force it".

Offline Erathaol

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 08:58:11 pm »
"Force it?"  That was awful, T.  Truly painful.

To the matter, I'm totally excited to have options as well.  I'll be watching each of these three closely, and honestly I'll be down with playing whichever game we officially choose to move to.  A great group can make any game good, and can make a good game great!

My official prediction (for what little it's worth) is that SOE will screw up The Agency like everything else they get their hands on, that APB will be fun but short-lived due to its lack of story (kinda like Darkfall is right now), and that we'll choose Star Wars either because it ends up being a great game or (hopefully not) that it ends up simply being the only half-decent option.

Offline Strod

• Angelic Fury
    • View Profile
Our Next MMO (2010?)
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 09:13:34 pm »
Star Wars seems like the only choice that would really fit what FA represents.

I agree all should be watched and judged as more information is released, however I believe BioWare will pull a solid game with Star Wars.

Furious since 2006.

Offline Setun

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
Our Next MMO (2010?)
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 10:40:41 pm »
HK-47 is going to be in Old Republic, so I say Star Wars.  The end, meatbag.

Oh, and as a side note, SOE doesn't fuck up everything they touch, only games that aren't Everquest / Everquest 2 lol.

Offline Anamodiel

• Staff
    • View Profile
Our Next MMO (2010?)
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 10:52:41 pm »

...And we will strike down upon those of Darkness, with great vengeance and Furious Anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

Offline Setun

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
Our Next MMO (2010?)
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 11:27:43 pm »
I actually have this beta key registry thing for global agenda i got from a friend of mine i know from EQ2....if you guys want ill complete the registration for it and pass it along to everyone

Offline Manic Velocity

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • Pod Goo & Tonic
Our Next MMO (2010?)
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 11:42:05 pm »
The reason I wanted to join FA in the first place was for the faction's (I still can't bring myself to call us a guild) emphasis on immersion and roleplay.  

For this reason, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for The Agency.  Even if the gameplay lends itself to holding the player's hand most of the way, I think the possibilities of RP in the setting are many.  I am worried, however, that SOE is blowing their PR load way too quickly on this game.  SOE doesn't hide the fact that they strive for quantity over quality in their MMO department.  As soon as people start getting bored with The Agency and DCUO, Sony will announce development and/or acquisition of their new MMO.

I never played KOTOR, but I'm always hearing positive things about BioWare and their understanding of the Star Wars universe.  I want to believe that their promises of heavy emphasis on story will hold up.  I hope they aren't putting all of their eggs in one basket, like MxO.  Again, the possibilities for RP are great.  The Star Wars universe is so goddamn huge now that I wouldn't even know where to start researching to build my character's background.  But in some sick and twisted sense, I like that.  

As for APB, this is the one of these three that I'm least interested in.  The graphics look great, and I like the setting, but I have yet to be convinced of why I would want to play it.  Extensive character customization is not ever going to sell me.  And if all I want to do is run around blowing shit up, I can play GTA offline and not have to worry about some other guy intent on ruining my good time.

Offline ArchNemesis

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
Our Next MMO (2010?)
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 12:30:10 am »
I'd like to try out global agenda, but not as a main game for us to focus on.

Offline Phienyx

• Angelic Fury
    • View Profile
Our Next MMO (2010?)
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 12:58:15 am »
Due to the depth and breadth of the Star Wars Universe, I would personally like to keep a very close eye on The Old Republic.  I think our RP persona fits perfectly within that world.  Also, anyone who is a self-respecting Star Wars respects and sticks to the lore and continuity.  Of course it all boils down to game play.

We're Angels, not saints.

Offline ZephixLeer (Zephic)

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
Our Next MMO (2010?)
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 05:02:33 pm »
Out of those, I'd love to play SW:TOR. It should offer the depth we're looking for while offering a lot of content to take on. My concern is how pvp will be...

Personally, I'm going to be trying out Mortal Online later this month as an alternative to Darkfall. I just can't handle the community that Darkfall has. It's the steepest grind I've ever encountered in all of the MMOs I've played. And that combined with the full loot and it's just not fun.

However, I greatly enjoy full loot and open pvp. I just want something with more balance. I don't want to grind for months to catch up to exploiters and lose gear to hackers only to be told that policy doesnt allow GMs to refund items I spent 3-4 hours working to get. I just don't have that time. Losing gear to legit players is one thing but hackers? nah... I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Eh, sorry to rant.
I guess my point was that I enjoyed Darkfall in some aspects and would love to play another game similar to it, but with more balance and actual reprecussions for being red. Mortal Online seems to have just that. -As well as a skill system similar to that of SWG.

So, hopefully I'll see some of you in MO. If not, I'll see you in SWG:TOR, hopefully. :)

Offline Saint

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/saintxxx/Jedi-Archives
Star wars baby
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 11:34:18 pm »
My vote is for Star wars,  Oh to use the force again....   Honestly darkfall has become for me a negative experience..  Theres so much hate and the community is just not very complimentry for my play style.. I dont mind full pvp, but the the way the game structures it just doenst work for me. Ill probably be turning off my account for that game.. although Im looking forward to our next mmo.

Offline Adad

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
Re: Star wars baby
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 12:27:03 am »
TOR

I mean, if you can watch this trailer and not want to play this game, you're nuts.  Gameplay footage or not, that shit gets you jacked up!

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
Re: Star wars baby
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2009, 08:39:25 am »
Star Wars: The Old Republic for sure. The Agency - I don't mind but SOE has killed (imo) two of the best MMO's around already and I can't face them ruining another - I've even turned my back on DCUO.

I've already started creating a background for my character use this to help you :)

* Discord

Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 39