Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: FA Live Action Video  (Read 6608 times)

Offline Enoch

• Warrior
    • View Profile
FA Live Action Video
« on: August 07, 2010, 11:18:29 pm »
This is to start a very early discussion about an idea proposition. I don't know if you guys have talked in the past about making a live-action video about the Angels. It's something that has come to mind as I'm seeing the things we're making for recruitment like videos using trailer footage and the audio plays that will be used in the challenge website. I'm just posting to say that if the idea ever gets some steam, I'd be more than happy to take the reigns of production.

My credentials? I am soon to graduate college with a film degree. I have worked on 37 short films since I began college, with budgets ranging from $300 to $10K, and in running lengths ranging from 3 to 25 minutes. Of the shorts I've worked on, 11 of them have been with me in one or more of the 4 lead creative roles (director, producer, cinematographer, writer). For the first time in my short career, one of the shorts I worked on was shown at the Cannes Film Festival this year in a short film collection.

My point. I know how to make movies. I know how to plan for them, prepare to shoot them, shoot them, and edit them. I'm not claiming to be the best at it, just saying that I'm not a beginner at it.

That said, maybe this thread can become where this idea flourishes. Considering the release of the game may be upwards of a year away from release, we have the perfect window to put something together that can wow recruits right as the game launches and the game community grows.

Thanks for reading.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
Re: FA Live Action Video
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 11:58:34 pm »
I'm an actor and so is Lits, so in theory we could put together something decent. There would be a couple of huge hurtles, though. The biggest one would be getting all the participants in one location. Another one is a short, compelling story that is simple yet gets the FA ideas across. Another is copyright stuff since this is star wars. Another is how do we create something that would seem to be in the SW universe without being tacky (cheesy robe costumes and lightsaber effects). If we can address all of these problems, I am not opposed to the idea, but it would take considerable effort. Sell me on the specifics.

Offline Enoch

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 12:27:30 am »
Right. I remember that you're an actor. You're right, that it would take a lot to make something like this work. It's a bummer that we're probably on opposite coasts because it would be awesome if you played yourself, considering you're an actor. But this doesn't necessarily require that you play yourself or that your character is necessarily the lead. It could even be a spin-off story that relates to the FA. I dunno, we can come to that hurdle later.

As far as copyright, I think we can get away with it. There are tons of Star Wars fan films made every year, many of them even exhibited at film festivals. As long as there is a disclaimer and we make no money directly from the film, we should be okay.

The biggest way to avoid being tacky is with high production value. We can avoid excessive light saber effects by having the story not have fight scenes. We can get away with a few scenes where there are sabers present. I know a few people in special effects that I can probably get to do the work for free. The robe costumes just have to be of decent quality. The problem with most SW fan films that use robes is that they have poor cinematography that doesn't flatter the appearance of the robes. Luckily, that is my area of expertise and I think I can make them appear believable.

I don't have any story ideas yet, but we can start discussing them as we build the FA SW lore. To address the elephant before it enters the room, I would suggest that the film be funded jointly by FA members. We can talk budget much much later.

Offline Da6onet

• VETERAN ANGEL
  • I shall either find a way or make one.
    • View Profile
    • JPL
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 01:49:35 am »
My wife happens to hold a BFA from Carnegie Mellon in costume design with a focus on on costume technology (fancy term for draping skills) and worked for the Shakespeare Theatre Company in DC in the costume shop for several years. Not sure what she could accomplish in the way of robes (though is nearby enough to fit Tbone if need be). I would imagine once a story was fleshed out her talents could be utilized.
If all the world's problems were solved today, what would you have left to do tomorrow?

NEED NEW SIGNATURE, CAN PAY IN THE FORM OF BEER!!!

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 07:49:14 am »
Quote from: "Enoch"
I don't have any story ideas yet, but we can start discussing them as we build the FA SW lore.

Here.

I dunno... every Star Wars fan film I've seen is pretty tacky, and I've seen amazing effects and good acting. But, if someone knows of a good one, send me the link :)

I personally think it'd be better if we did a CGI film (seeing as FA are among the uberest Force wielders and the best Saber duelists in the Galaxy), but there's more chance of me being Batman *shifty eyes*. Will be cool to do this, anyhow!

But if we decide to go on with doing a live action film, I'd love to do a voice over for a character (preferrably my own :p) since I live on the other side of the Atlantic.

Offline Adad

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 11:13:22 am »
I call editor!

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lostlocalhost.com
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 11:44:55 am »
Enoch + broin + adad = whoa.

Offline Ash

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 12:40:44 pm »
Quote from: "Enoch"
...But this doesn't necessarily require that you play yourself or that your character is necessarily the lead...

Tbone's thoughts: "Now I didn't go through all the trouble of creating my own faction just to NOT be the lead of our own damn action movie."

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men"

Offline Manic Velocity

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • Pod Goo & Tonic
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 08:34:47 pm »
I'll get back into parkour just in case we have a chase scene.

Offline Ghisteslwchlohm

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 10:37:13 pm »

(hope you don't mind the embed) This video is very well done with the action and effects. There's even a video explaining how to sufficiently edit the videos for lightsaberness here

Offline Da6onet

• VETERAN ANGEL
  • I shall either find a way or make one.
    • View Profile
    • JPL
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 11:28:51 pm »
That is a very well done video from the standpoint of soundwork and effects work (pretty good on the camera work). If you take that fight scene video and add real acting, cinematography, makeup, costumes and a storyline, you'd have an actual cool short :-p
If all the world's problems were solved today, what would you have left to do tomorrow?

NEED NEW SIGNATURE, CAN PAY IN THE FORM OF BEER!!!

Offline Anamodiel

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 08:13:00 am »
I dunno. That movie screamed "NERDY/GEEKY/NEVER GOING TO LIVE THIS DOWN" more than, "Oh, cool!" I couldn't take that movie seriously, even if the lightsaber effects were actually really well done.

Of course, I'll support this effort 100% in whatever direction we take. I just personally think I'll enter into a new dimension of geekdom if I take part in this. haha...

...And we will strike down upon those of Darkness, with great vengeance and Furious Anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

Offline Adad

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 09:43:49 am »
Yea the two movies they did are very good effects wise, but obviously the acting is horrid and there's no plot or anything. The only fan vid I've seen that's any good as a whole is the one about Darth Maul's backstory because they went full board with costumes and everything. Even that, though is lacking in many areas of story. But then again, so are all the Star Wars movies ;)

I think the best Star Wars story line is actually in Force Unleashed. Don't know why I'm writing this, just thought I'd share. I am by no means a good writer so we'd need to find someone who is. That is where it all begins. So find a script and then we can discuss moving forward.

Offline Enoch

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 11:13:54 am »
I think there's a great deal of tentativeness about the level of geekdom we're trying to walk into here. Let me tell you something, that I'm sure Tbone and Lits can probably back me up in. When you're making a movie, you're playing pretend no matter what. Even then, you have to take your work seriously.

I wouldn't do something for the movie because it's cool or nerdy. I would take every step with the highest level of professionalism to try and make an interesting and well made film, because I know if I don't, it's going to show in the final product.

Alec Guiness would constantly complain about the amount of cheese in his lines. But he came to work every day and delivered with the same professionalism and seriousness that he gave Shakespeare, and that's why he gave great performances as Obi Wan. So try and drop the concerns about it being lame and cheesy or of low quality. If we go in thinking like that, that's the movie we're going to get.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 12:48:43 pm »
An idea that popped into my head last night (after lots of drinking). Just jotting it down so I don't forget it in case any of it is useable.

-----------
Lits is sitting in a forest, meditating. She is reciting the Jedi code ("there is no whatever, there is peace", etc.). Suddenly her eyes open and she says something like

"And when the darkness grows, I will awaken and ascend as a furious angel, restoring balance to the force".

She looks surprised at what she just said. A shadow goes over her face as if something flew over her. She stands up and looks around. Behind her we see a figure. She turns, but nothing is there. She walks that way a little and we see the figure is behind her on the other side. She turns again and sees Tbone.

Lits: Who are you?
Tbone: I'm an angel.
Lits: ...a what?
Tbone: Don't act so surprised. After all, you're an angel as well. *he looks her over*. You certainly fit the profile.
Lits: Profile?
Tbone: Angels are said to be the most beautiful creatures in the universe. I'm a poor example, but you...
Lits: Ha, nice try. Like I haven't heard that one before.
Tbone: "And when the darkness grows, I will awaken and ascend as a furious angel, restoring balance to the force"

Lits is flustered. The dialogue continues about how these two have sensed each other across many galaxies and share a connection. Lits has sensed the connection growing, getting stronger, though she wasn't sure what it was. Tbone has traveled a long ways to meet her. Lits says something like "you don't even know me."

Tbone: "True, that's why I've come. To truly know someone, you must fight them"

Lits pulls out a lightsaber.

Tbone: You don't need that. We're going to fight up here *points to his head*

Lits puts the lightsaber away. They step closer to each other. They both close their eyes and lightsaber noises are heard. They are doing battle in their mind. They slowly walk closer to each other, eventually violently grabbing hands, as if the struggle was becoming physical. The leaves swirl around and the wind blows as the energy gets fierce. Finally they are very close to each other. Lits opens her eyes with determination. Tbone opens his eyes, surprised at the match he has met.

They fall down, Lits on top, Tbone defeated in their mind battle. In the heat of things, she kisses him. She finds her center and pulls away, standing up

Lits: "I...I'm sorry. That...is not allowed."

Tbone stands up and smiles.

Tbone: "With us...it is. Join us."

Lits: "Us?"

Tbone: *looks up as if refering to the clouds* "The Furious Angels."

He steps closer to her.

Tbone: "We need you. I need you."

They kiss as the camera pans away.

------------

I know stage combat, so we could actually do a lightsaber battle, but I think that's when it gets into trying too much to be too cool for school. Also, while I've used the name "Lits" and "Tbone", I don't imagine at any time their names actually being said, so it could just as easily be "An angel" and "Recruit".

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
[12] 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 223