Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Holovid Feedback  (Read 8485 times)

Offline Manic Velocity

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • Pod Goo & Tonic
Re: Holovid Feedback
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 01:24:11 pm »
Quote from: "Tbone"
I really don't think we are going to get anything good until we can film our own content. Until then it is just awkwardly trying to fit footage into a theme.

This.  

If we want to stand out, we shouldn't use the stock footage that everyone else is using.  Like our first MxO video, we should do something that is unique to us.  I don't think it would be detrimental to the challenge if we waited until some of us got into beta so we could film our own stuff.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 04:13:52 pm »
I split the thread up a bit. Here's the missing bits pertaining to this discussion:

Likwidtek

I don't like the idea of just static images unless they are edited and given motion and effects expertly. I feel that Broin and Adad are really good at this and with enough filtering and their own special sauce can make anything their own. Personally I think using in game footage looks a little weak. I feel that using static images would be as well.

I think that we could take video elements from the CGI trailers, borrow and give credit to some nice live action stuff but edit it down slow and dramatic so that it is givin it's own FA style.

I REALLY like the video in the intro flash thingy on thesuriousangels.com That's the exact style I think we should stick with. Very teaserish, very dramatic, very inspiring. I think we can take any footage and give it that feel.

Tbone

One problem is that EVERYBODY uses the same CGI trailer footage. Almost every guild video I've seen uses it, ourselves included. While our teaserish splash page works well for what it is supposed to be, the holovid is supposed to be the veil being lifted after going through the entire challenge, so it has to give more than that, though I do like the idea of it being flashes of images.

Tbone

Quote from: "Manicvelocity"
I don't think it would be detrimental to the challenge if we waited until some of us got into beta so we could film our own stuff.

I have to disagree. With a Spring release, we shouldn't expect the NDA to be lifted until March at the earliest, even if some of us managed to get an early invite. That's 7 months from now, and an extremely unreasonable amount of time to wait before starting to recruit.

Offline Manic Velocity

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • Pod Goo & Tonic
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 07:06:02 pm »
Quote from: "Tbone"
Quote from: "Manicvelocity"
I don't think it would be detrimental to the challenge if we waited until some of us got into beta so we could film our own stuff.

I have to disagree. With a Spring release, we shouldn't expect the NDA to be lifted until March at the earliest, even if some of us managed to get an early invite. That's 7 months from now, and an extremely unreasonable amount of time to wait before starting to recruit.

And the alternative is that we send the potential recruit through a unique and elaborate challenge... to reveal video footage they've been watching for the past year?

If the holovid is necessary as part of the challenge, then I think we should hold it up to the standard of quality with which we regard the rest of the challenge.  Should we use the same footage that every other faction is using for their recruitment, or should we use Furious Angels footage for Furious Angels recruitment?

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 07:31:09 pm »
Waiting until we get in game is not an option. It just isn't on the table. If we wait until the game comes out, our recruitment will be too little, too late, and we won't have made enough of a name for ourselves to make any sort of impact on anything.

I understand that using pre-filmed game footage isn't a very good option. I also understand that using CGI footage isn't a very good option. I also understand that using movie footage and the Clone Wars cartoon footage aren't very good options. I understand that ripping from the holovid timeline isn't original. I know that creating our own images is time-consuming and risky.

But those are the only options I can think of, and of them we're going to have to get creative with and make work. The only other option I've thought about recently is doing a live action transmission from Tbone, but I can't even start to count the different ways that can be crappy.

I think if we go the route of showing videos and images on the screen behind the hologram, it'll make whatever we do more interesting and original just from the way it is being presented.

Right now we're going the direction of self-made holovid-esque images, but I haven't seen anything come of that since the sketch Loki showed us a few days ago. It can't go so slow that we only get a sketch done a week.

I'm open to all sorts of options EXCEPT for giving up and waiting for the game to come out :)

Offline Broin

• Second-in-Command
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
Holovid Feedback
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 07:48:33 pm »
I honestly don't think we can wait in any sort of fashion... I personally think we are behind the curb in recruitment and waiting would put is behind the eightball.

Go ahead, make my day.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
Holovid Feedback
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 01:15:02 am »
Ok, another test. Back to the holovid technique, this time using actually holovid footage. This is just a test. I'll probably re-record the audio (I want to add something about the uneasy peace), maybe switch out music, add SFX, fix the crappy transitions, etc. Just curious as to if this is less boring than the still images I used before.

Offline NoCry

• Staff
    • View Profile
Holovid Feedback
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 02:11:34 am »
Again. This method has a lot of potential. As you say; the audio needs work still.

Offline Ragnarok

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
Holovid Feedback
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 04:01:14 am »
I like it a lot though I think the "This is Tbone" part may need to be changed, the rest is good,but the beginning just doesn't seem to fit.

So long as I breathe, I live. So long as I live, I fight. So long as I fight, I triumph!

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
Holovid Feedback
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 04:28:05 am »
That's much better than the video in my opinion. If Loki did stuff like that and give it to someone who could to minimalist animations then it'd rock. But, if not; it's still pretty good!

Offline Anamodiel

• Staff
    • View Profile
Holovid Feedback
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 08:15:53 am »
I LIKE IT!!

...And we will strike down upon those of Darkness, with great vengeance and Furious Anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

Offline Manic Velocity

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • Pod Goo & Tonic
Holovid Feedback
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 11:52:45 am »
I like it. The opening could use a little work. "This is Tbone" doesn't quite seem to fit.

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://omeganerd.com
Holovid Feedback
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2010, 12:34:04 pm »
I like it.  I really think we need have some after effects pros dazzle up the drama and transitions just like in the intro.  Better quality audio and we have something very nice!
"To the darkened skies once more and ever onward."

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
Holovid Feedback
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 12:52:39 pm »
What's off about the "This is Tbone" part? The audio doesn't sound right? Or the video? Does it just need to be re-recorded? Or rewritten?

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
Holovid Feedback
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 02:04:09 pm »
New version:

-Re-recorded voice over
-Added part about the Republic crippled
-Cleaned up transitions

This is working out pretty well for looking like a basic "holovid".

Update: While not reflected in this version, I've fixed the fact that you can hear the voice over file turn on and off.

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://omeganerd.com
Holovid Feedback
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2010, 02:37:10 pm »
You said "the furious angels is a group of.." @0:15 should be the furious angels ARE

Aside from that man, your voice acting is TOP NOTCH!  Very well done.  The audio sounds pretty good too.
"To the darkened skies once more and ever onward."

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
[12] 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online