New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Coder?  (Read 1788 times)

Anonymous

Coder?
« on: September 09, 2004, 11:20:43 am »
I don't mean to be rude, but being a full time coder would suck. I mean, I would want one or two coder traits, like the ability to make myself some weapons, but who would want 100% coder, all the time? I'm concerned that this change to the ability trees was a bit of a time waster. I mean, I could understand at least the bit about Operatives, but it just makes it all seem so strange to us veterans.

To get back on topic, who would be a coder? I'd like to hear everyones opinion on this profession that to me seems very... strange.

Anonymous

Coder?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 12:14:25 pm »
I can't seem to find anything about the Coder ability tree on the official boards - although I can find stuff on Hacker, Soldier and Spy.   My guess is that Coder isn't quite complete.  Otherwise I'd totally agree with you.  Doing MxO's version of tradeskills all day wouldn't really light my candle.  Then again, there are lots of people in EQ who choose to do tradeskills most of the time.  And while I wouldn't choose to do it, there are also people in Lineage2 who choose the dwarf class, which is basically L2's version of what I think a Coder is.

The one thing about being a coder is this:  you'll easily be a desired class for guilds since most people probably won't wanna be a coder.  :p

Anonymous

Coder?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 01:05:23 pm »
They haven't released anything about the coders really. Soldier and spy went under Operative and Hacker is still just that.

It seems that they will be able to more than just craft items..
I read on somewhere (don't remember where) where they said something like,  this would be the hardest one to master, but in the end also the strongest one if you do. I don't really get that though.

Anonymous

Coder?
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 02:23:57 pm »
Must-say-something-serious-must-resist-urge-to-say-something-random-AHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Went down to the breakfast table thought I would die of shame. You wouldnt look me in the eye, wouldnt even shake my hand. It seems that I, have soiled my-good-name.....

Well it seems last night you caught me spankin it. No use denyin it I was really crankin it. Dry your eyes, dont be so ashamed, but dont use them tissues-theyve already been had.

Now you told me it was creepy when i was 17, but it must be really creepy when your kid is pushin 30.....

Ok, on topic now. Coder seems to be the class for the 00ber player, who wants to have tons of bitches at his side. I suppose you could become a serious player, makin tons of cash, and hiring bodygaurds, assigning some sort of wierd quests to people, you know, be like a real business manager. Or, more like the mafia or something.

Anonymous

Coder?
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 02:26:33 pm »
Well that is...cool.

Anonymous

Coder?
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 03:22:16 pm »
im guessing a hacker is more like someone who can get the nodes and can still fight, whereas a coder is more of the crafting class, creating code for everything, if thats the case im going to be a hacker/coder, but mostly coder, i gotta hook u guys up :)

Anonymous

Coder?
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2004, 04:16:46 pm »
People could probably just get coder abilities if they feel like crafting.  Being as how abilities are so easily swapped out and all that you could just have some coder abilities equiped when crafting then be your soldier/spy, hacker/spy, soldier/hacker or whatever you wanted the rest of the time.

Anonymous

Coder?
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2004, 05:43:26 pm »
The coders would probably be merchants of sort.

A few weeks ago, i was playing Project Entropia(www.project-entropia.com) and I was only a merchant, trading and selling items.

It may seem more boring than hack hack slash slash, but being a merchant was tons of fun.

Although i don't plan to be a coder in MXO, being a merchant definitely has its merits.

Anonymous

Coder?
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2004, 07:15:14 pm »
Quote from: "Zink"

I'm guessing a hacker is more like someone who can get the nodes and can still fight, whereas a coder is more of the crafting class

I'm with you that Coders are probably crafters given their description on the MxO site and forums, but I think it's no question that hackers are going to be the casters.  According to the main site description, they will at least be the buffers and healers, and they will probably also be the MxO equivalent of a mage with the description that they sling viruses and the like.   I'm not sure what you mean by getting a node?  I may have missed an article or update...

Anonymous

Coder?
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2004, 07:57:58 pm »
I figured they'd be the crafters.

Anonymous

Coder?
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2004, 10:56:35 pm »
Where did you see that?

Anonymous

Coder?
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2004, 11:45:09 pm »
Coders..... hmmmm. I got the impression that these coders would be As MUSE stated "and they will probably also be the MxO equivalent of a mage".

Coders may be the single best asset on a team. If they take the time to hone their skills, leveling is essence, imagine the edge they could supply a team with. Weapons, exits, skills, etc.

IMO - It seems like a pretty cool class. I'm sure they can still drop kick fools if need be.

Anonymous

Coder?
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2004, 02:03:33 am »
Oh, no, I don't think coders will be like mages; I think hackers will be like mages.  The MxO main page says:

Viruses

Buffer Overflow: fills the targets buffer with bogus data

Logic Bomb: disrupts the target's RSI, causing them damage

Vision Disruption: creates blindness in the target

Upgrades

Anti-Viral Sweep: attempts to remove any viruses affecting the target

Overclock: speeds up the processes controlling a character, granting them bonuses

Signal Bounce: grants an additional layer of signal protection to the target

Anonymous

Coder?
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2004, 07:39:45 am »
My best guess on coder would be engineer or meta-physecist from Anarchy Online. Pet people.

Anonymous

Coder?
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2004, 10:38:09 am »
muse i love u!!! i totally wasn't thinking of hackers were like mages, but it tottally makes sense lol thats awesome!!

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 29