Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Jedi Shadow... To tank, or not to tank?  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lostlocalhost.com
Jedi Shadow... To tank, or not to tank?
« on: December 02, 2011, 08:05:55 am »
Who do we have rolling Shadows? I'm trying to do some research on if I want to roll it as a tank or all out dps.

I've always rolled DPS classes in my games. I was min-max obsessed with my hunter for max dps, with some tweaks for survivability in PvP encounters. I loved my knife thrower in mxo. I like being able to be a deciding factor if we drop a mob. I haven't played a tank since EQ days, and it certainly wasn't very involved back then.
With that said, I'm not sure the dmg of a dmg shadow can compete with some of the other classes. Meanwhile, I'm starting to read some decent things about how the Shadow tank is currently very underappreciated and it has great potential as a main tank option.

So my questions - which I hope to answer on my own, but would like some insight from those who have played more than I...

How does the dmg playout compared to the Sentinel? I know it will be less, but enough so that dmg Shadows will be overlooked as a dps class?
What are the best rotations you've used? What are the "Must Mash anytime available" abilities when focused on dmg?

Tanking compared to Gaurdian? Obviously there is a huge difference between mitigation tanks and avoidance tanks, so how does it work out in swtor?
I've read in at least two places that the difference between the heavy armor and light for these tanking examples is negligible, and can be overcome by a single buff...Truth?

In both cases, the versatility of the Shadow may be it's strongest selling point. Yes, it can be a DMG Shadow, but will have additional abilities that may make it much more attractive than a can-only-do-one-thing-well Sentinel. Also, even in a tank role it has multiple other supporting abilities...

I will try to keep this updated with information as I get it while on my way to find the perfect class for me.

My first source I'll be reading through will be http://maintankasin.net
If you have these same questions, I suggest you read up there as well.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lostlocalhost.com
Re: Jedi Shadow... To tank, or not to tank?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 09:48:34 am »
Like many times, I speak too soon.

AtralFire made a wonderful post on the Shadow and kept it up to date that has helped me a great deal.
http://thefuriousangels.com/index.php?topic=6979

I just had only skimmed it before making this post and forgot about it. After rereading it, I seriously think I'm going with the Kinetic tank build based on this talent setup: 31/0/10

I will continue to research, and will definitely make an infiltration build when they implement dual speccing. So far for that I'm thinking this: 10/31/0

Offline Saint

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/saintxxx/Jedi-Archives
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 10:55:58 am »
Im 100% shadow, and probably Kinetic although still deciding on that.

Offline Tinzzak

• Meat Shield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 03:17:54 pm »
I am rolling a consular but im completely torn now... after being on the last couple of builds... they're always great... i have an sith inquisitor for the last build and this one apparently they didn't delete the characters... thats kinda cool...

But i just don't know if i will go sage heals, sage ranged dps or sage melee dps... normally i am against heals and tanking because i tend to get everyone dead... i've done a heal spec on 2 of the last three builds... and it just works.

Overall I am leaning towards the Shadow Melee DPS however... that way i can see the white of their eyes... or red if they're sith... when i run the blade of my light saber through them.

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
[19] 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 23