Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Political Activism...  (Read 2916 times)

Anonymous

Political Activism...
« on: December 13, 2006, 03:21:49 pm »
Hey guys... I'm wondering if any of you have any experiance in political activism at all. I have some limited experiance from working with amnesty international at my school... but a situation has come up in which I have taken on a unofficial leadership position.

Here's the situation. Recently at my school Massasoit Community College the administration has put into effect new regulations entitled Civility Rules. These rules mainly consist of refraining from unrulely and disruptive behavior... which I can understand however to some degree they've taken it too far... I recently recieved a verbal disiplanary action for leaning/sitting on a table while talking to a friend... I was approached by not only the dean of students but campus police as well. The most controversial piece of these new regulations however is that students are to refrain from using "offensive language".Now the school has taken the official position that they will not take action against the use of such language but they will try to discourage it. The method in which they are discouraging this behavior is through intimidation. I've personally witnessed on multiple occations Campus Police and Faculty approach students using vulgar language in normal, undisruptive convorsation and verbally warn them that if they do not stop they could be written up or they approach the situation in a hostile and agressive manner. While this is not direct displinary action against "offensive language" the manner in which they are approaching students is blatently intimidating, disrespectful  and give the destinct impression that they are not allowed to use such lanuguage.

Now under Mass State law no public school shall infringe upon a students right to free expression and through case precident "offensive" and vulgar speech is protected under this law. As I am sure your aware this is also unconstitutional as it violates the first amendment.

A few days ago I found out that the student leaders were holding a discussion panel and open Q & A on the issue of the civility rules. So I took the oppurtunity before hand to speak to students around campus about the issue and garner support for my side of the arguement. As you may assume I found a lot of support. The majority of students I encountered are in open support of my position.

Now earlier today the open panel was held. After the panel members spoke and opened up the floor for questions I gave my arguements against certain aspects of the civility rules. Now I was met with hostility by the majority of the panel. Those in support on the panel did not interupt and stayed quite in order to here my opinion. The opposition frequently interupted me and did not recognize my opinions or my citations of state/federal law as even valid. After about 5-10 mins of my questions I had about 5-10 mins more worth one of the faculty members covered the mic and told me thats enough and told me to leave. Now I was fairly distracted with what I was saying and the panels response... keep in mind i never once interupted them. When I had first gone up there was not one person who was up there with me to ask questions. As I left the line stretched the length of the cafeteria. Save for 2 people every other students opinion was in support of mine. Not once did the majority of the panel recognize our opinion as legitimate. They just threw they're reasoning back at us and ignored what we had to say.

Now since this event I've garnered the support of many many many more students. I've been approached by complete strangers showing they're support. I've even enlisted the support of the Vice-President of the Student Senate whom I believe will be a great asset. Now this leaves me in a predicament. Everyone is looking to me for what steps to take next. I have little experiance in matters as large and improtant as these. However, I'm doing the best that I can... So far I've suggested that the students organize into a real movement. If next semester these rules and especially the intimidation tactics they are using to enforce them are still in place we will contact the press and hold multiple student protests to show the school we will not back down. If this does not solve the issue... if the school is unwilling to compramise. Then I, along with other students will be contacting the ACLU of Massachusetts(as much as i dislike the aclu lol).

Now I'm hoping to recieve input from you guys.... anything at all can help. Suggestions, comments, etc.

Offline Ash

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
Re: Political Activism...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 03:40:01 pm »
Interesting turn of events.  The only piece of advise I can give you is to tread lightly and make sure all other proper avenues of communication are exhausted before you begin gathering mobs for protest rallies.  If you can't find a sympathetic ear from the panel, how about finding someone who donates money to your college (if any).  If they have a Gym named after them all the better. It's been my experience that the facutly and board members listen first to the money and second to their students, if you catch my drift.

Just my .002 Cents.

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men"

Offline Manic Velocity

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • Pod Goo & Tonic
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 05:05:53 pm »
Quote from: "Yotogi"
Just my .002 Cents.

I award Yotogi ten points for Griffendor!

Offline Sared

• VETERAN ANGEL
  • Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 05:22:26 pm »
Yotogi's idea sounds great. Whatever you do, don't try to 'push' your civil rights when it comes to protesting and resisting the board. At least not until you see that you'll need to. Getting shut down early is the worst thing you can do. Also, don't try to put yourself into a position of martyrdom. If the school board sees you there, then they will only garner even more distaste for you.

Whatever you do, above all, be completely honest. If you feel the need to have an ace or two in the hole, and can do so without risk, then do so. Otherwise, try to keep both hands above the table if you know what I mean.

Best of luck to you man, keep us updated!

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 06:17:02 pm »
Organized student protests are a good way to get your voice heard, especially with the press involved. Is this a private school or a state university? Slogans, bumper stickers, interviews...maybe The Daily Show would interview you and make your school look like idiiots...haha.

It's hard to get higher ups to pay attention to you when they think you don't matter. At my school the president cared about nothing but money and not about the students at all. There was an issue where he fired to tenured professors for investigating another faculty member who had been hired without credentials as a friend to someone in power. We formulated several strategies to help the professors. You can read about it here: http://www.clarionledger.com/news/0403/08/musmprotest2.html

Maybe it will give you some ideas.

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 06:39:35 pm »
Well it's a public school... it's state funded... if it were private we wouldn't have much of a case. but thanks for the input so far guys.

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 07:06:27 pm »
Get witnesses Venlar, reliable ones.  Any action you take will have to be backed by people who will stand with you and tell their story - you want to get that ammo on board before you attempt any actions.

And for those people who say they will back you, make sure you get their sworn statements, as quite a lot of people will back you only so far as it doesn't get them noticed or in trouble.

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 07:25:42 pm »
good point destyn... I'll have to work on that

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 10:12:40 pm »
So one of the things I've done so far for organizing just as kind of an early step is I set up a Facebook group for massasoit students called Massasoit Students Against Intimidation and Discrimination. I've invited well over 200 students to the group... so far about 25 have joined and 25 have declined so that leaves about 150 still potential members and supporters. I'm hoping that the group will act as an intial place for us to share ideas, comments, suggestions, etc. What do you guys think?

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 12:40:11 am »
First let me say that I think this is a rather noble undertaking Venlar, and I'm proud of you for it.

Secondly, I hate to point out, that protests, rallies, and the mere action of you 'fighting' against the ruling can be considered disrupted behavior, etc.

Just be careful, ok?

Offline Sared

• VETERAN ANGEL
  • Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 02:55:51 am »
Destyn brings up a very good point. Keeping a good record of everything (including things like where your funding is/may coming from) is a good idea.

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 07:23:15 am »
For me, whenever shit hits the fan, I think through the court action.  I mean, it never gets that far, but I'm always considering what the judge needs to be told.  I've only had to sue people twice, but both times I won ;)

Offline Ketamininja

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 08:20:27 am »
Check your "human rights", which may be different in different parts of the world.
Firstly, a private converstation with expletives should not be listened in to; evesdropping is a breach of privacy perhaps?

How about the right to not be intimidated? You say the campus cops are a bit over the top.

I'm a total frickin rock star from mars.
C'mon bro, I got tiger blood.

Offline NoCry

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 12:06:58 pm »
America has the most enshrined rights and toughest anti harrasment laws out there. use them, they are your friend!

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 01:19:41 pm »
I'd listen to NoCry :D

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11