Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: New $500 Gaming Rig  (Read 4135 times)

Offline Da6onet

• VETERAN ANGEL
  • I shall either find a way or make one.
    • View Profile
    • JPL
New $500 Gaming Rig
« on: April 22, 2010, 08:11:46 pm »
So I realized that while it is nice saving for a glory system down the road, in the mean time I would like to enjoy playing games like BF2 or L4D2, hell I'd even enjoy hopping in APB if my computer could handle it.

Currently I'm trying to get the most out of a 4 year old satellite with a 1.8GHZ Turion 64 X2, 4GB ram and Radeon X1200.

Current benchmarks:
TF2 on lowest settings 15fps average 10 low 25 high
CSS on lowest settings 25fps average 15 low 40 high
L4D2 on lowest settings 10fps average 5 low 20 high

So I've done some researching, this seems to be a good breakdown.

Here is a list I've compiled, and just wanted some thoughts.
I am able to spend more on certain things because I already have a case with an optical drive and hdd I can use. I can try shopping around for better prices, but these are newegg prices as of today.

gpu
ATI Radeon HD 5770 (MSI Hawk)
or
Nvidia 260 GTX (ASUS)

cpu
3.2GHz AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition (loved the potential for overclocking -example-)

motherboard dependent on graphics card
MSI 790X-G45
or
Asus 750a SLI

ram
OCZ Platinum 2GB (2x1GB) DDR3 1333

psu
Corsair 750W
If all the world's problems were solved today, what would you have left to do tomorrow?

NEED NEW SIGNATURE, CAN PAY IN THE FORM OF BEER!!!

Offline Lithium

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://followtheangel.org
Re: New $500 Gaming Rig
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 08:18:17 pm »
Doesn't sound too bad. I would recommend 4GB of ram. I've been running on only 2GB for a while and I just got a 4GB kit today because *I'm hoping* it'll resolve some lag issues I've been recently experiencing with APB, BF2, etc and help with alt-tabbing.

PSU probably only needs to be ~500w but it wouldn't hurt to go with the 750w which could be used in your next build.

Don't believe everything you think.

Offline TinCanHitMan

• Meat Shield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 08:19:26 pm »
I use a Nvidia 260 GTX in my home rig after my 8800 GTX burned out and i have seen no noticeable difference performance good or bad. Which speaks to its quality since that was top of the line a while back.

Offline Da6onet

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • JPL
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 08:23:04 pm »
Quote from: "Lithium"
Doesn't sound too bad. I would recommend 4GB of ram. I've been running on only 2GB for a while and I just got a 4GB kit today because *I'm hoping* it'll resolve some lag issues I've been recently experiencing with APB, BF2, etc and help with alt-tabbing.

PSU probably only needs to be ~500w but it wouldn't hurt to go with the 750w which could be used in your next build.

Yeah the first future upgrades would be to go up to 4gb of ram and eventually a second card for sli or crossfire (hence the want for a 750w psu)
If all the world's problems were solved today, what would you have left to do tomorrow?

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 08:58:01 pm »
Never underestimate RAM. I would also advise at least 4 gigs if you want to play the most recent games (and run something like TS at the same time).

I have dual Nvidia 275 GTXs and am very pleased with it. I've done both Nvidia and ATI, and I feel like I've had a lot less issues with Nvidia.

I saw you getting on TF2...was wondering what was bringing you back around. Hopefully you can put together a decent rig and we'll see you hopping in games with us soon!

Offline Jeyk

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.followtheangel.org
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 09:02:38 pm »
I think you've made some solid choices between the processor, the Asus motherboard, and the 260 GTX.  I own the 945 (overclocks with ease), an AM3/AM2+ Asus 750a SLI motherboard, and previously owned the 260 before making a slight upgrade; In summary, I would vouch for those parts.

Regarding your interest in overclocking, I think it would behoove you to invest in adequate aftermarket cooling.  I know you're probably not looking to spend another $30~ in addition to what you have, but the stability of your system as well as the preservation of your parts is something one should consider when squeezing a boost out of their system.

This is, of course, simply my opinion.  Do some research if you find yourself interested.

I personally went with this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185093

Offline Da6onet

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • JPL
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 09:12:00 pm »
Quote from: "Jeyk"
I think you've made some solid choices between the processor, the Asus motherboard, and the 260 GTX.  I own the 945 (overclocks with ease), an AM3/AM2+ Asus 750a SLI motherboard, and previously owned the 260 before making a slight upgrade; In summary, I would vouch for those parts.

Regarding your interest in overclocking, I think it would behoove you to invest in adequate aftermarket cooling.  I know you're probably not looking to spend another $30~ in addition to what you have, but the stability of your system as well as the preservation of your parts is something one should consider when squeezing a boost out of their system.

This is, of course, simply my opinion.  Do some research if you find yourself interested.

I personally went with this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185093

aye, even modest overclocking can make the processor get up to 70C at full load using the stock heatsink. Again, depending on how much money I can scrounge up I would like to eventually invest in a water cooling setup, though that heatsink in your link is beastly :-p

Offline Da6onet

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • JPL
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 09:14:01 pm »
Quote from: "Tbone"
I saw you getting on TF2...was wondering what was bringing you back around. Hopefully you can put together a decent rig and we'll see you hopping in games with us soon!

Yeah after the wireless network i was leeching off of went dead I didn't have internet until april 10th (just in time to efile taxes!). I am still waiting for verizon to finish installing the stuff for fios, in the mean time i'm stuck with dsl (apparently comcast does not service my building).

Offline Da6onet

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • JPL
New $500 Gaming Rig
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 09:31:59 pm »
I do like nvidia hardware and drivers better, tend to have more stable architecture and better instruction sets than ati. however the 5770 is a newer card than the 260 and has support for dx11. they basically perform the same, within 5-10% on benchmarks, and I can find both for roughly the same price, so the question becomes; is pro of having dx11 support worth the con of ati's lackluster driver support and oft times finicky hardware (especially when overclocking)?

Offline Lithium

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://followtheangel.org
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 10:07:26 pm »
Quote from: "Da6onet"
Quote from: "Lithium"

Yeah the first future upgrades would be to go up to 4gb of ram and eventually a second card for sli or crossfire (hence the want for a 750w psu)

SLI is worthless if you don't have a processor/motherboard that can handle the bandwidth. I had SLI with a dual core 4800+ and 16x/8x PCI-E channels on the motherboard and the 2nd card actually decreased performance in most games.

Do yourself a huge favor and pay the extra $40 now for 2 more gigs of ram.

Don't believe everything you think.

Offline NoCry

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 04:48:40 am »
I recently upgraded and went for an ATI 5 series card (the 5870 actually). I reckon, for the cost, you are better with the DX11 card, if the performance on currrent games is similiar as between the outdated NVidia and the up to date ATI I would suggest ATI. My power supply is 500W and it runs the ATI etc very nicely. Save some money on PSU now and get more RAM?

Tally ho.

p.s. good to see your graphs again;)

Offline Da6onet

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • JPL
New $500 Gaming Rig
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 09:47:21 pm »
sounds like the resounding response is get at least 4gb, so after some more refined price shopping, here is a revised list. note: I still want to stick with a 700w+ power supply to ensure future upgrades and overclocking won't be an issue. Also one thing i seem to be finding with memory is to ensure that the timings/voltages are good to go with amd boards, hence why i went with something labeled "amd edition" :-p

ATI Radeon HD 5770 (MSI Hawk)

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition

ASUS 790X

OCZ AMD Black Edition 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600

raidmax 730w

total after rebates

and jeyk i do agree with you that my next upgrade be a better heat management system.

Offline Da6onet

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • JPL
New $500 Gaming Rig
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 09:58:20 pm »
Picked up the cpu today at the local store. I haven't built a computer since the PIII and 440BX days, but I already know the stock thermal pad/compound crud they have on the heatsink isn't going to cut it so I added the arctic silver 5 thermal compound to my newegg order. Should have the rest of the parts by Thursday.

It is very hard to restrain myself when I see a 955 quad core for only $60 more, but I keep reminding myself this is an experiment of pc budgeting.

Offline Da6onet

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • JPL
New $500 Gaming Rig
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 09:51:22 pm »
I officially went over budget today due stupidity on my part and open box bargain revenge. I did not realize the case I had only supported a mATX mobo, so I had to go out and buy a new case. I went to the local Microcenter and felt up dozens of them and settled on the CM690II Advanced.

Also the Open Box 790x I got wasn't all I had hoped it would be. It was missing all accesories save for the IO shield, but the IO shield doesn't even match the board! So I will be sending that back to newegg ($25 between the restocking fee and shipping :-/) and just going to plop down an extra $45 on a retail version of it (though I get $10 back via rebate on it now!).

So new total price spent on the system will be in the neighborhood of $650 when all is said and done, and I still haven't bought the monitor...

I have my eye on the Samsung XL2370

Offline Jeyk

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.followtheangel.org
New $500 Gaming Rig
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 01:08:50 am »
Can you post a picture of the IO portion of the board?  I have a couple of spare IO shields, and I would hate to see you waste any additional money on sending it back if we can find something that will adequately replace the one it is missing.

Is there any way you can pick up a cheaper case on Newegg and return the one you currently have once it arrives?

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 336