Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Laptop Problems!  (Read 14044 times)

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop Problems!
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 03:54:26 pm »
Mobo is going to be replaced. Technician is phoning me on monday.

Offline ArchNemesis

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 07:34:36 pm »
Quote from: "Subb"
Mobo is going to be replaced. Technician is phoning me on monday.

*sigh* The phone guys' fix for everything is to replace the mobo.

Just make sure the tech guy knows what he is doing. The technicians are a hit or miss sometimes.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/Alw_lp_M11x/en/mm/mm_en.pdf

That's a link to the PDF service manual incase you might have misplaced yours. Make sure the guy either knows / takes a look at that before taking it apart.

Also make sure to keep on eye on him to see if he takes careful care of it. Feel free to let him know if you feel he's doing something like not protecting the screen with a cloth or not using a mat while working with the laptop. Another thing, make sure to inspect every inch of the laptop to make sure he didn't scratch anything. If he did, call the techs up and make sure they hear about it. They should have a problem replacing any of the parts that he may have messed up.

Sorry if all this scares you, it's not often that it happens but it's just a warning so you know what to do if the situation arises. I've dealt with dell laptops, warranties, and techs for years and only till recently had i gotten run into the few "bad apples"

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 05:26:45 am »
The technician replaced most of the components and it';s still BSODing like a bitch on heat. It's going back to the depot for further investigation or a replacement.

So I won't be online for a while.

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 07:06:22 am »
Got my laptop back and I was disheartened to see that it's not been replaced and it's still FUCKING BSODING. All they did (according to the technician note) was reinstall the chipset drivers which I've done twice before. Fucking apes.

Offline NoCry

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 07:54:53 am »
ahh subb; I am so sorry to hear that. if I were you I suggest you ask for your money back. Also, did you pay by Credit Card? if so, even simpler to get your money back.

Offline Tecknik

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2010, 09:49:40 am »
I need to call Alienware about my M11xR1.  It has caught the Broken Hinge disease.

Offline ArchNemesis

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2010, 05:02:15 pm »
Quote from: "Tecknik"
I need to call Alienware about my M11xR1.  It has caught the Broken Hinge disease.

Ouch, i've read about those. Just make sure that when they send the tech over to watch him and ask him if he's ever opened one up. If not, make sure to have a youtube breakdown video handy. The on-site techs are very hit or miss. Especially here in FL.

Got my laptop back and I was disheartened to see that it's not been replaced and it's still FUCKING BSODING. All they did (according to the technician note) was reinstall the chipset drivers which I've done twice before. Fucking apes.

Also, for future reference, NEVER send it to the depot. You're paying for Next business day in-home technician service on your warranty...

There should never be a reason to send it to the depot.

Definitely request for a replacement. After the third "fix" they are supposed to, by law, ask if you want a replacement or a completely different model.  I can vouch for the M15x if they offer that.

If you feel that it's not worth it or you want your money back you can complain about how you need it for work and can't be bothered to wait for them to send you a new one considering how long you've been waiting just to get this thing fixed. If push comes to shove, ask to speak to a supervisor and hold your ground without being an asshole. The phone techs are idiots so don't bother listening to them.

I'm sorry to see your first experience with an Alienware wasn't a good one =(

I guess the design for the M11x has some flaws =/
I have an M15x and never had any serious problems with it.

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2010, 04:40:13 am »
so far it's one massive incompetence after another. After I finish watching my weekly dose of Smallville and Supernatural I'm phoning up, demanding a refund or a new replacement (on a side note - who should I phone for that? Tech support or dell?) and I want some compensation (I've spent £40/$70 on phone bills ringing them)

Offline ArchNemesis

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2010, 06:27:24 pm »
so far it's one massive incompetence after another. After I finish watching my weekly dose of Smallville and Supernatural I'm phoning up, demanding a refund or a new replacement (on a side note - who should I phone for that? Tech support or dell?) and I want some compensation (I've spent £40/$70 on phone bills ringing them)

Just phone Dell's customer service. They all end up in the same place.

Make sure to thoroughly explain the situation and all the mishaps. Also, if they keep giving you the run around make sure to ask for the supervisor.

Stand your ground and be stern while still having manners.

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2010, 03:27:51 pm »
Fuck you, Alienware! I wouldn't even grace you with my faeces after your incompentence.

Offline ArchNemesis

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2010, 03:53:16 pm »
Fuck you, Alienware! I wouldn't even grace you with my faeces after your incompentence.

What now? Is there anything i could help out with? =(

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2010, 04:14:35 pm »
Quote from: "ArchNemesis"

What now? Is there anything I could help out with? =(

They gave me an email to message regarding a replacement. I did so and they said they'd ring me this morning. They failed to do so so I rang them up a few hours to go and they replied that the guy who deals with replacements is off sick so they can't get back to me until monday.

One guy deals with replacements? Fuck off.

So, I rang back and said that I want to talk to someone to which they replied that no one was there (to be fair, it is 9pm where I am) but the guy over the phone said he would email someone for me and that they'd get back to me tomorrow. Fat chance.

Offline ArchNemesis

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2010, 06:48:35 pm »
Oi....

Yeah one thing i learned is don't wait for them. If they don't call when they said they would then take initiative.  Also, from personal experience, don't bother with emails. It's going to be annoying to have to call over and over trying to get their supervisor but if you can it'll be your best bet. As i mentioned prior, the techs are idiots so always try for a supervisor. Also, make sure to take note around what time the call was made and who you talked to. This is so you have someone to name when you're given the run around.

Dell has records of these calls so make sure you're consistent. Also, state how much trouble you've had and how the numerous fellas you've talked to have NOT been helpful by any means. You gotta play yourself off as the victim if you want the supervisor to cave in. Otherwise they'll just keep sending you off to other people or just telling you they'll call / email you back.

I know it's unethical to say this, but i've exploited this system and have gotten free upgrades through Dell's warranty in this manner. Unless you have a silver tongue, It's gonna take a bit of time to get the resolution you want. Just gotta keep pushing.

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2010, 07:06:46 pm »
I have been pushing, quite a bit. I've sent an email that's a bit threatening, yet not too bad:

"To whom it may concern,

I am e-mailing you to request a replacement for my Alienware M11xR2. My laptop is little over 2 months old and yet it has suffered from constant 'blue screen' crashes despite having a technician visit me twice (motherboard and both sticks of RAM replaced), sending it to the depot (technician only re-installed the chipset drivers - a task I have done twice and a support agent has done himself via Dell Contact) and spending over £40 on a phone bill for technical support.

Whilst everyone I'd dealt with has tried to be helpful, the service I have received has failed to rectify the problem and must therefore be considered as less than satisfactory.

I would like a replacement laptop as soon as possible (at no extra cost for myself) as I require it for work. Also, I would appeciate it if you would reimburse me for my phone calls to your 'technical services'.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully,

[name and personal contact/service number]"

Personally, I've not been totally aggresive and trying my best to play the victim (for fuck sake, I need to add to my novel!!!). I'm getting sick of this; I've got a master's degree to compelete :/

I'm going to ask for a major upgrade or compensation for my phone bills which is hitting £50/$90. May ask for an M15x

Thank you for all your help Arch, totally appreciated.

Offline ArchNemesis

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop Probl
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2010, 09:36:31 pm »
Not a problem dude. I hate hearing about people getting shafted when their new toys should provide more fun then headaches =/

Definitely push for them on the phone whenever possible though. It's easy to ignore an email, it's a whole lot harder to ignore someone chewing you through a phone.

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 326