Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Must-Have Check-list for SWTOR!  (Read 6888 times)

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://omeganerd.com
Re: Must-Have Check-list for SWTOR!
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2011, 02:58:42 pm »
I wouldn't use splashtop for that lack of security alone.  Now that the logmein mobile app is 100% free there's no reason not to use it.  Really great product.  

I also like how easy it is to switch between dual monitors or have both monitors in view.  It's really fast on my phone too.  I can see everything in full color, animations and all.  Pretty impressive.  Regardless, splashtop totally omitting any sort of encryption is very creepy.  I would absolutely urge you to at least try it.  Sending all of you passwords and information over the air in clear text is really-really bad news.
"To the darkened skies once more and ever onward."

Offline Ghisteslwchlohm

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2011, 08:02:08 pm »
Quote from: "likwidtek"
I wouldn't use splashtop for that lack of security alone.  Now that the logmein mobile app is 100% free there's no reason not to use it.  Really great product.  

It's only free for iOS right now. Waiting for it to be less than 25$ so I can get my hands on it.

Offline JazzyC

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2011, 12:38:41 pm »
Quote from: "likwidtek"

It's not a security issue.  Its the fact that in my head a PC is designed to be fully shutdown, whereas a laptop is designed for Hibernation.  The addition of a battery pack in a laptop helps hibernation is that power loss is incredibly unlikely.  Whereas a power cut in a house would screw the PC up if in Hibernation.

It's not Splashtop's fault for my PC not working WoL from full shutdown, its a combination of default ISP provided router, and a motherboard (with built in network card) I know little about.

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://omeganerd.com
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2011, 03:31:35 pm »
Jazzy, no I mean the security issue is that splashtop does not encrypt any of your information during sessions.  That means if you're at a starbucks on your phone and are connecting to your computer, I can sit in the same coffee shop, sniff the connection, man in the middle or whatever and intercept your splashtop passwords, your computer passwords, read what you're doing and possibly gain entry to your systems.  Why they have no encryption is beyond me.  Any disgruntled employee at any ISP can do this...  it's just... it's 2011 man.  Encryption is always on by default.  It's just a big red flag.

The hibernation issue has nothing to do with security.  It's just personal preference.  Also note, there's hibernation, standby and shutdown.  Wake On LAN will work in any of these scenarios.  You don't need to leave it running.  Read here:  https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ie=UTF-8&ion=1#hl=en&cp=12&gs_id=9&xhr=t&q=how+does+wake+on+lan+work&tok=GpUtC5lnflBc-o22e8AmBg&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&safe=off&site=webhp&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=how+does+wak&aq=0&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&fp=bc16b5ab8d851553&biw=1680&bih=989&ion=1
"To the darkened skies once more and ever onward."

Offline JazzyC

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2011, 04:06:07 pm »
Sorry, when you continued on from my post, I assumed you were talking security and hibernation.

I've gone through numerous how-to WoL, and I've never managed to get it to work with the Shutdown setting.  To set Hibernation up, I had to alter Windows itself and it just felt unnatural (don't ask me why).  Standby just leaves too many lights and things on for me to want to use it (having to sleep in the same room, and being slightly energy concious).

If the game gets to the state where I'm regularly needing to log in 30minutes in advance, or have serious stuff to do at a moments notice, I'm not all too worried.  And if that scenario arose, I think I'd suffer Hibernation until I work out why Shutdown won't work.

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 304