randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Poll

What is the future of FA?

We should allow those leaving MxO to remain in the faction and group up in other games.
20 (40%)
We should stay focused on MxO and keep the faction MxO-based only.
30 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: June 19, 2005, 10:25:10 pm

Author Topic: Should we extend FA to other games? Please vote  (Read 5703 times)

Anonymous

Should we extend FA to other games? Please vote
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2005, 11:19:25 am »
Hmmm... where to begin. For those of you who know me, and most of you should, you will know that I have been a pretty die-hard member of FA ever since I've been a member... Hell, I've been a pretty die-hard mxo player since I got into beta, even when people told me the game would fail, I kept my faith... up until recently. I have been very absent from the confines of the matrix for a good few weeks now, why? (Hopefully my opinion will be respected in this thread, even though it hasn't been in others...)

I think MxO is going down the shitter. The grind is mind-numbingly boring, I've been level 50 for a while and i still haven't regained the brain cells it took to grind myself up. The content, or lack there of, is probably the worst that can be expected from any MMO, with exception to live events. Speaking of live events... "Send one or two members to represent your faction" to actually hear about what's going on, meet the in-game-celebs... I don't pay 15 bucks a month to not get to witness the good shit. There is no end-game. PvP is a matter of who stuns you first. YAWN. - For any of you who are wondering why you haven't seen me in MxO much, if at all, this is why. And for fuck sake, this is my opinion, if you don't like it go fuck yourself, don't you dare try to bash me on this forum for expressing my opinion. That goes for you Lithium.

In response to those that feel I, or other people that choose to spend their game time out of MxO in another game, never help... never come when called upon? I'll tell you not once... NOT ONE single time has anyone came down to the non-mxo room, while i've been in there and not afk, and asked for my help or the help of others, not once. The only person that has even bothered to come down there to at least try to get us back in game was broin, and I commend him for that, at least putting forth the effort. However it was not asking for help, it was simply letting us know what was going on, and I appreciate the thought Broin.... Bottom line i helped whenever i could, to whoever asked. Everytime i logon to my mxo aim account, im flooded with messages asking, sometimes BEGGING me and the furious angels to rescue mara or some other pathetic warzone. EVERY TIME. And every time, I go. I haven't helped many lowbies level since after release, but thats simply because every time i login game "I'm needed" in a pvp battle. Another pointless stun someone as fast as you can before they stun you battle. And you guys act like it's other games behind the reason why "no one" seemingly helps when you need it? That's bullshit. Even before this "split" I can't tell you how many times I'd get chased, jumped, gang-banged... I'd ask for help and who would come? half the time maybe someone would decide to come help, someone that I have most likely helped before... but that would be 1 person out of 20 in the TS channel....

I believe Sared hit it on the head with his post. Why am I still in FA, why do i remain? Over my short time here, in this faction, I've met some really cool people, I've made friends. That's why I stay... Hell you want to know the truth, the only reason i've kept my mxo account open for this long is because of this faction and it's members.

Lastly, I think alot of people have some misonceptions going on here. I may not speak for everyone who plays another game, but I think it's safe to say the majority, if not all of them would agree with me. We aren't asking for FA resources, we aren't asking for a huge in-depth website, we aren't asking for anything. We simply want to be able to stay with the people we've gotten to know, keep the friendships we've made through this faction.

Have I canceled my account, yes... however, after the SOE takeover, I decided to just put SWG and MXO on a station pass, therefore keeping my mxo account. I have this blind faith that SOE will pick up the slack and bring life back to the game.

And by the way... have you looked down in the Non-Mxo room recently? IF you have, you would have seen some of the most die hard players in the faction, including myself. Some guys have been here much longer than me, some much shorter.. but all of them have still made great contributions to the faction, and you guys know that.

So what's the real question here?

Do you want to boot some good players, good friends, good people because they, like many others, have grown tired of a game that doesn't come to par?

or

Do you find them expendible, do you think they should not be a member of the faction because they choose to spend most, if not all, of their time playing and paying for a game they actually enjoy.

It's not that difficult of a question. Or is it?

Offline Avzeke (Khr0n1k)

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2005, 11:57:33 am »
I know for sure that many people on numerous occasions have gone down to the non mxo room to ask for help. And the only people that came out of the room were the people who were only playing a round of cs or somthing. Now im not saying you heard it because like you said you could have been afk but i know we dont even try anymore because we know its a lost cause because rarly, actually i think never has someone playing swg stopped and came to help.

Topherous Jedi Sentinel
Artifice, Archaeology, Treasure Hunting

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lostlocalhost.com
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2005, 12:06:54 pm »
Well i for one have asked a few times for help with no response. Gabe, this is MxO, so yeah we should boot people who don't play MxO. Can I bring in my friends from EQ to TS? It's not about where we start, it's about where we are now. If your not with FA in MxO, then do your own thing with everyone elsewhere. How many times have we not accepted a member because they say they don't play often or they play a lot of other games?

Why would you need FA to keep in contact with friend from the faction? Make a TS server, exchange some emails and BAM there ya go. As I said, some people whom I consider friends may take offense when I say all that, but if I go play whatever game their on, I would love to come join them. It's a separation of interests.

Anonymous

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2005, 12:53:20 pm »
It's a tough topic, but heres my opinion.....

First off, No, the FA name should remain dedicated to MxO. We built our reputation and established our foundation in MxO.

Here is the ONLY topic I am concerned with... allowing members who left MxO to remain in the faction. In a way I am torn between both sides here. If we allow ex MxO members to stay, then the amount of contribution they may make to the faction is extremely limited. The main thing that I have noticed is that those who truly love this faction still aren't gone.... even if they've cancelled their MxO accounts they remain browsing the site and listen in on TS. Why? as many others previously stated, because FA is more than a faction, it is a family. I can't speak for everyone but I personally have made a lot of friends here and I wouldn't want to give that up.

What I think we need is a way to keep in touch with eachother, for those that left and those that are still around. The first method of communication obviously is TS, but again... the TS server is dedicated to FA and it's not in my hands to say how we use it. Again as Fuse said, maybe a seperate TS server for those that do play other games (doesn't have to be operated by FA) that we could all know and go to if we wanted to keep in touch.

What I am ultimately seeing is people that don't play the game anymore but want to stay in communication with the faction because of friendship purposes. We don't necessarily need to keep them in the faction but again.... I say we should have some way to keep in touch with eachother.

ah, I hear it coming, the bane of all communication, AIM!

*look at avatar for reaction* =P

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lostlocalhost.com
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2005, 12:58:47 pm »
Sounds like a suggestion similar to the bluepill forum. A friends of the Angel TS server-but that depends on the TS owner.

Offline Broin

• Second-in-Command
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2005, 01:00:39 pm »
Let's make it simple...  Pretend you're being interviewed again.  Those who got in before the interviews pretend you are listening in on an interview.  LIsten to Eroz ask his questions and you answer them honestly as you would now.  Now with that in mind would you allow yourself into the faction.... I think most of you know the answer to that question.

There should be no problem with people playing other games.  Shit everyone has.  I mean we have all played America's Army, Poker, CS, etc.   It is not a problem when you need to step away and take a break from MXO.  We've all had to do that as well.  The problem is when you step away to play another game without the intention of really continuing to play MXO.    

Here is the problem everyone has.  The people playing other games don't want to leave in case MXO ends up getting real good with SOE, and they don't want to leave the people they've met (of which I think it should be easy to keep in touch).  The people who want to play MXO really don't want to see people leave in case MXO goes down bad then we all might decide to go elsewhere together as a faction.

WE ALL KNOW WE HAVE SOMETHING SPECIAL AND AWESOME HERE AND NO ONE WANTS TO LOSE IT.  

It comes down to are you going to be here to help out when needed?  Are you going to be part of the new PVP/Diplomacy format?  Are you going to be here for the live events?  Are you going to be here just for the live events and just when things happen and only after everyone else has done the work in figuring out the puzzles and done all the talking to the Live Events Team?  Are you going to bring everyone down participating in the game and live events by bitchin' every time you come in game?  Does your staying and not participating hurt the faction and cause a rift that is irrepairable?  For those not playing or planning on playing MXO know that it is a thorn in the side of the people playing MXO to see all of our previous hard core members sitting down in the non-mxo room, knowing that they are not in MXO anymore and can not be counted on to help.

Go ahead, make my day.

Anonymous

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2005, 01:34:31 pm »
I will continue to say that i am still a die hard MxO player been since beta and always will be till its grave.  Someone else here said they were diehard matrix fan.  You have no idea when i heard The matrix was going to be a MMO.  I couldnt believe it i was so thrilled the day i got beta and i was so thrilled i got into FA and you let me take a place in your guys home.  This faction made MxO for me.  I have truely enjoyed my time here and will continue to do so.  I do not think this vote includes me because as i said in my other post i have been living in MxO more than real life heh.  Kinda ironic but true.  I will be back in a day or two to get rolling and pwn some newbs.  I just wanted to get set in another MMO to fall back on when MxO slows down or no one is on for some pvp action.  Hopefully we wont be loosing good people to this shit.  Im not gonna point fingers and shit at anyone no names blauh blauh blauh thats not what i do and i think taking it out on someone on the forums is 297% bullshit.  I think those that have beef with each other need to get on TS and short that shit out dont bring it here to a typing match.

Anonymous

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2005, 01:54:15 pm »
Quote from: "Orien"
I think those that have beef with each other need to get on TS and short that shit out don't bring it here to a typing match.

/sign

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2005, 05:04:12 pm »
Ok, well I think everyone has had a chance to give their initial response, so now I'll add my opinion to the mix.

To me, Furious Angels is MxO. In many ways, we're the ones who have kept the excitement in the game. When other players play MxO, what is their goal? Even if they don't admit it, I believe their goal is to achieve the reputation that FA has. In MxO, we're legends - hands down. No one can argue that, out of all the faction, FA is most widely known across all servers.

I never had any plans to branch FA into other games. Like Orien, I was ecstatic when I heard that there was going to be an MMO based on the Matrix. That's why I've been in the MxO community since November of 2003. The reason I started FA is because I had a vision of what playing MxO would be like and what I would need to fulfill that vision. None of the other factions that were around seemed to have that certain something that lived up to being in the Matrix. I think we've fulfilled that dream of mine. We have interacted in the story and have literally become Zion. FA was always meant to be Zion's elite - mysterious and powerful. Sort of like what Broin mentioned, when a lot of people think of MxO in the future, the first thing that will come to mind is this faction.

So what does this have to do with other games? Well, I want to continue to be able to provide the atmosphere of gaming that was my original design. I personally feel I have an obligation to those who signed up to FA to deliver what I promised them, and I think that expanding FA to other games might inhibit that.

How so, you ask? Well, it's already been touched on by others a little. If the faction is not focused on MxO, then accomplishing large tasks and creating a solid MxO community simply does not work. Looking in Teamspeak right now, I see 2 people in the Jacked In channel and 9 in the Non-MxO room. Now you may say that those 9 people would just be gone if we did not expand to other games, but to be honest, I'd rather them be gone than all playing SWG in the FA TS. Why? Because if another person logged in right now, they'd see 2 people in Jacked In and 9 in Non-MxO and would proceed to go to Non-MxO to find out what everyone there is up to. They would hear everyone talking about this or that game and probably be encouraged to download it and try it and they might hear some comment about how MxO doesn't have this or nothing is going on in MxO. Meanwhile our two friends in Jacked In are getting the shit beat out of them and are thinking "Damn...what's the point of being in this faction if everyone plays a different game?" That's simply NOT the kind of FA I want to exist.

Now obviously, we all play other games at times. We even play those games as a group. The current question, however, is what do we do about those who are canceling or suspending their MxO accounts or haven't logged into MxO in several weeks. They would like to still be able to use TS and the forums while they play other games. I, personally, am not comfortable with that. No doubt MxO will eventually fade and our interests will begin to drift to other things, but I don't believe that time is now. If and when that happens, I think we should consider other games then, but right now. MxO is still in its infancy. I love the game and the events and am trying to give us some projects to help enhance our own fun, but I think another faction within the faction that does not play MxO will only distract from our goals and inevitably divide us into oblivion, which brings me to my last point.

No other faction or guild in MxO who has tried this has held together. Sacred Order, Illuminati, Kindred - nearly all the "Ascension Society" guys tried doing this multi-game thing. Where are they now? Gone. They died. Illuminati is still around but merely a shadow of their former selves and not near where their potential was leading them. I feel if we follow suit and try to spread ourselves to other games, our presence in MxO will diminish much like these other factions. You may say "FA is different than those other guys", but why are we different? I think it might be because we make smarter decisions.

I will say one more thing. I understand those who would like to remain in the faction even though they no longer play MxO. To be honest, it is very flattering that I have created a community that people actually want to stay and be a part of! It saddens me that several of my friends are losing interest in MxO and are moving on. As much as it sucks to say goodbye to some people, I think there are ways we can think of to still keep in contact. My primary obligation is to those who are dedicated to the Furious Angels, a Matrix Online faction. Those guys signed up to kick ass in MxO and not have to beg SWG gamers to come help out. It seems that, so far, a majority of the faction is in agreement that the hardcore MxO FA is the FA they want to see stick around.

Anonymous

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2005, 05:24:24 pm »
I feel it nessary to weigh in on this question.  I don't post much but I do read and ask questions.  I've asked around and even played devils advocate on this very difficult problem and here is my take.
The FA is a Mxo faction and as long as Mxo is in exsistance it should remain so.  It will wax and wane depending on the members and their dedication to the game and group.  While here I have made new friends as I have in the past, but all things pass, people move on and often leave us with just our memories of good times past.  This is as it should be, nothing and no one lasts forever.  If and when the game fails FA will have a choice but until then it should remain with Mxo.  This is who we are, This is what we are about as a group. As for those who are in FA but not in Mxo as long as it is their intention to still play the game even if not at the moment, I say let them remain.  What harm are they doing?  Those who still wish to play will and are.  Dropping people from the mailing list or kicking them from the server seems a bit malicious and petty, unless they are trully using resources needed for the 'real' Mxo players then no harm done.  I have heard complaints about 'those people in the non mxo channel" and for the most part it is because the complainer felt betrayed or slighted.  Dont do this to yourselves.  These are still the same people you praised before, if they don't come to your rescue or feel they way you do then point this out to them and move on.  

What ever the decision, I as still proud to be a Furious Angel.  And some day in the future when people ask me "did you really know Tbone and Broin"?  I wil first deny it three times and admit that yes I was once associated with such infamous characters and could they sharpen the knives first?

Anonymous

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2005, 06:11:43 pm »
why stick around on an mxo faction's ts server if you're going to cancel your mxo account?

might sound bitter, but seriously, it's just going to pull people away from mxo and from that sometimes empty(lately) jacked-in channel..

someone explain to me what's going to happen to the electus ship now that the leader can't promote anyone else to be captain.

edit: on a sidenote, i'd like to play swg or any other game, but it's making others feel uncomfortable with more people filling in a channel and playing another game besides mxo, so sometimes i feel divided when i goto both channels. some time for mxo would be nice is all im saying, instead of just giving up on the game if that's possible. i play 4 games, including mxo, and i find time for all of them somehow..although the others aren't MMOs, I suppose I don't know what it's like.

Anonymous

Re: Should we extend FA to other games? Please vote
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2005, 07:23:43 pm »
Quote from: "Tbone"
Here's the situation. A few people have come to me explaining that they no longer wish to play The Matrix Online. They either have cancelled their accounts or are considering it. However, they would prefer to remain in the faction and group up to play other MMOs or other games. They want to use the FA resources and still use the FA flag, so to speak, but no longer be a part of MxO. The question is, do we expand our "guild" to other games to allow those who used to play with us in MxO to still hang around or do we keep FA focused on MxO? I have my own opinion about this, but I want to see what the initial response is.

This vote will be considered but will not be the sole factor in determining the outcome.

It'd be nice if you guys could say, extend it to cover battlefield 2, then I might not have to be kicked out for trying to get out of MxO. ^_^;;

Anonymous

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2005, 08:30:02 pm »
Quote from: "Ristan"
The main thing that I have noticed is that those who truly love this faction still aren't gone.... even if they've cancelled their MxO accounts they remain browsing the site and listen in on TS. Why? as many others previously stated, because FA is more than a faction, it is a family. I can't speak for everyone but I personally have made a lot of friends here and I wouldn't want to give that up.

Quote from: "Tbone"
No doubt MxO will eventually fade and our interests will begin to drift to other things, but I don't believe that time is now. If and when that happens, I think we should consider other games then, but right now. MxO is still in its infancy.

these 2 statements pretty much sum up how i feel. as much as many ppl have said the purpose of FA is to play MxO and nothing more, i have to beg to differ. we have grown past that purpose, we have become more than that. we arent just a vessel designed to fulfill a function anymore, we have grown past that. we are a family. and just like i was very saddened to see my cousins who i grew up with move off to south carolina, i havent seen some of them in almost 10 years, i am saddened to have to think that i may never again see or hear of members of this family here. while i understand for functionality purposes, it is not good for MxO morale to have 83 ppl in the nonMxO room and Tbone all by himself sitting in the jacked in room which at that point may as well be called the jack off room cuz thats all their is to do, i dont see a reason why communication needs to be cut off completely. it does not serve against functionality to let them remain here on the forums. we're talking how these ppl can stay in touch with alternate means of communication, why should they when it will hurt no one if they stay right here on the forums to keep in touch and what not.

secondly, even Tbone himself is saying it. We have to consider the possiblity that MxO will reach total and absolute suckdom for everyone at some point or another. What do we do at that point, shut it all off, the TS servers, the site, pack our bags and never game together again? because if you start kicking people now thats EXACTLY whats going to happen. by the time the majority vote realizes mxo sucks, there will be NO ONE LEFT TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT because they wud have all been kicked by now. we're talking about kicking all these ppl because they dont fulfill the primary function anymore, but what we arent realizing is that these ppl are the very beginning of the new age of FA, and  3 months from now we're going to go... "Oh shit... fuck man we shudnt have kicked omegus and gabriel and everyone else. Now we want to move on to this other game, but its just me, Grim, Tbone, and Ket..." they say hindsight is 20/20 and maybe until it is in the past some of you wont realize the mistake it is to kick all these people until its too late.

i say, for now, no, playing another game will only hurt FA. but we need to be mindful of hte future, something humanity as a whole usually fails to do. If we're smart about it, we can stick together when the shit hits the fan wether its 3 months from now or whenever. lets let all those ppl losing interest keep in touch and stay on the forums, maybe not on TS, but let them retain their forum memberships so that when the time comes, these ppl, thse members of our family can share with us in a new home that may better suit them. as long as we keep the recruitment threads to other games to a minimum i dont see how it can hurt.

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://omeganerd.com
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2005, 04:02:58 pm »
ok well to be fair I only read maybe 3 posts out of this entire thread...  two of which were gabe's and tbone's.

I dont agree there should be SWG FA and WoW FA...  not at all.  But I want us to still be in contact.  I am sad that people are moving on but I will do my part.  At least for the WoW people.

As you all know I did most of the work on this site.  I with the help of others built and designed this awesome space that we all use and love.  With your donations and my caffinated hands we have been able to maintain the best community ever.  Thanks to lith and tvod we also have the best tool any game could ask for.  Teamspeak.  With our powers combined were were captain awesome.  ;)

Anywho.  I have been playing with a group of guys in WoW and they have none of these tools.  So I'm gunna do what I do best.  Create them a community as well.  It has nothing to do with FA because I don't run it.  As you all know, I ain't a captain here.  I don't like being in charge of something that's not work.  I'm in charge for a living I don't like doing it in my off time.  So...  I approaced the guild leader and asked him if he wanted an online community.  Obviously he jumped at it.  So this will be a project for me for a while for the world of warcraft gamers.  Granted this will be a guild site but I am going to engineer it so that it is open to the world.  I'm also popping up a TS server for them as well.

I am not recruiting.  I don't want any of you punks to leave FA for SWG or WoW.  I want you to keep playing.  Again I am not recruiting of encouraging anyone to leave FA.  However for any of those who already have made the decision to either multigame or leave...  and you have chosen WoW, possibly you could do your communicating on those resources instead of hurting anyone's feelings here.  

Hopefully this helps...  and possibly someone will make a resrouce that has nothign to do with FA for SWG.  

It's not what we were all hoping for...  since this will cause a split...  but it's better than nothing.  Please let me know what you think.
"To the darkened skies once more and ever onward."

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://omeganerd.com
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2005, 04:09:25 pm »
I would like to add something.  If any of you hate me for choosing to spend most of my time in another game then that's fine.  But you all need to realize something and maybe other people will agree with me.  My loyalties don't lie with Mxo, they lie with you guys.  You guys are why I even played MxO.  I could give a shit about the game.  if you all up and decided to go play Sims Online, I'd prolly follow suit.  But my point is... I don't want to loose this community.  I feel this is the BEST gaming experience ever and it's because of you all.  If you guys decide that we all have to break apart that sucks, because I don't think that we'll find a group like this ever again.
"To the darkened skies once more and ever onward."

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online