[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Poll

What would you prefer the guilds main focus to be? PVP or PVE?

PVP
8 (42.1%)
PVE
1 (5.3%)
50/50
10 (52.6%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: June 13, 2012, 12:56:35 am

Author Topic: PVP or PVE  (Read 3371 times)

Offline Longboard

• RIFTER
  • Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
PVP or PVE
« on: May 30, 2012, 12:56:35 am »
So what is your poison?

Do you like doing epic battles against NPC's, in full time raids? Or do you prefer battling against your fellow SWTOR players?

Do you think the guild can focus on both equally?

Please vote and post your comments.

"It's my hokey religion, you can have your blaster!"

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
Re: PVP or PVE
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 01:40:28 am »
I PvP in the afternoons and raid in the evenings. If I worked during the day, I'd PvP in the early evening and raid in the late evening (like our schedule is set up). In other words, I do both, and a lot of other people do as well. I'm trying not to just GRIND out War Hero gear (though I've only got three pieces left) so that I'll still have an incentive to PvP each day.

I'd like to see us do both and I think we easily can if more members start supporting the PvP events. I believe too many people got turned off due to class changes and lack of rated warzones, and then that in turn made some of our PvPers quit when their friends took a QQ break. Basically all you QQers need to stop your bitching and come queue with the rest of us! Even the ones who complained the other week at the meeting about lack of PvP have not been PvPing or at least not PvPing with the rest of the guild.

Moar PvP! Moar Raids! Less QQ, more pew pew!!!

Offline ExternalError

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://n/a
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 04:17:30 am »
I PVP with alot of people both in guild and out, lately I've been pvping alot with fuse and various other people, why? because we play well off each other i have 4 of my 6 600-0 alderans with fuse, also because of the low interest in PVP in FA atm i'm looking for a group of non guild people to form a PVP team with on my time slot, also my opinion of some of FA's members isnt very high at the moment because of how we treat old members and current, so I play with people I get on with, if you PVP'd alot you would see whenever jeyk and me are on were pretty much always grouped same goes for lathazia although his play time is a little different to me so not as much.  

;tldr  I play with who i choose to because they are the people i respect and get along with

edit: also our TS is not set up to be firendly to none members joining us in PVP without a master moving them up so I use my own personal server.

Offline NoCry

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 06:04:07 am »
Both for me. Yes, I think the guild can focus on both; within the guild you will have those who prefer PVP and those who prefer PVE. I personally prefer PVE at the moment but that will very much change with ranked wz's.

Longboard - sorry for allowing your poll to go off topic but to address what Ex wrote...

Our guild resources are here for the guild and its members. If a member wants to invite someone they are playing with into our TS then they can do so. The "non member" will only be welcome in the so-called visitor room however (given of course that they are not members!).

I don't see the issue at all with that and your attempts to make it seem otherwise are misguided. If you would rather host your own TS so you can have the same people in a room you don't have to move down to, then so be it. It is perhaps a little extreme, but as you say, play the game the way you want to and with whom you want to.

I don't see the relevance of your statement "my opinion of some of FA's members isnt very high at the moment because of how we treat old members..." to Longboards poll. As regards former members we treat them with the same respect they demonstrate to us - if they come to us and say, "listen guys the guild is not the guild for me, your membership is focusing too much on X, or not enough on Y - that does not fit my playstyle, I am here to have fun and I dont see myself having fun, long term, with you guys but I will be happy to hook up in Wz's or operations with you" THEN WE WILL TREAT THEM WITH THE RESPECT THEY AFFORDED US.

Those members who, after 7 (or indeed 2 or less!) years, rage quit and refuse to talk to anyone (other than non masters) about their reasons and instead foster and promote the drama we are so keen to avoid (as you Ex, know very well), then you are damn right! we will not treat them like friends, we will not treat them with respect. why not? because they do not deserve either our friendship or our respect. Should we share our resources (or game time) with people who show us disrespect? NO FUNKING WAY!! THAT WOULD MAKE US MUGS, AND THAT WE ARE NOT!

Lets take a different example - Kaplin - he was a good lad to have around, had his issues with "management", aired them and they got, by and large dealt with. Has anyone at all badmouthed or sought to exclude him? no!! why not? because he left like a grown up,  with our respect and with our best wishes.

Offline ExternalError

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://n/a
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 06:59:53 am »
The reason i made this statement was to explain the statement tbone so kindly bolded in his post the reason i'm not pvping all the time with the guild is because i have lost respect for certain members and do not wish to spend my time with them, this again was demonstrated by broin last night questioning why I was PVPing with fuse in my own TS and suggesting that Fuse was trying to turn me against FA, well funily enough he has never said a bad word about FA and has not told me in any detail why he left aside from he needed a change. It is in fact certain members of FA that have drove me to think less of the guild and having slept on it last night have decided to quit the guild.

Offline Broin

• Second-in-Command
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 09:11:28 am »
My issue with you which I brought up to you is that you are excluding FA members.  Not that you are gaming with Fuse or anyone outside of FA.  You don't like someone one week or the next then you demean them and exclude them.  That is not acceptable.

Now return the thread to Longboard and take your issues elsewhere

Go ahead, make my day.

Offline Saint

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/saintxxx/Jedi-Archives
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 10:47:00 am »
I think you have to have either pvp or pve as your primary focus. Not to say you cant also pve if youre a pvp guild but you cant be uber in both imho. If you try then both areas suffer. At least this is what I have seen so far.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 12:33:15 pm »
Haha! I love Nocry! We are not mugs! To clarify a point, FA members have been able to move around visitors for a few weeks now, since someone brought up that they couldn't. It's no trouble at all to play with non-members on our TS, and thus there's no real reason to be creating your own private TS server for only people you "respect".

This is mostly a moot point now given recent events, but I just thought I'd point it out for others in case they didn't realize that members can now move non-members around.

-----

I agree that when rated warzones start, the calendar will need to be adjusted again and raids will probably get less time, potentially making them less effective. I do think it is entirely possible to do both. We can easily have 8 dedicated PvPers and 8 dedicated PvErs and be successful in both fields. It gets a little harder when we have people double-dipping into both, but I think it's still possible. Unfortunately PvP has been in a lull since the Ilum valor fiasco. Even now I don't see most of the people I used to be PvPing with/against a few weeks ago. I don't think we're the only ones who have members waiting for the 8-man queuing rated stuff to come out.

Offline Longboard

• RIFTER
  • Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
PVP or PVE
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 02:18:09 pm »
***My opinions listed below are not designed to sway the poll, just my 2 cents. Take it for what it is.***

My intentions were not to start a flame war or to attack anyone one. Just to start a needed discussion on a subject matter that is talked about frequently. I hope that every guild member votes AND replies with their thoughts.  

In my humble opinion, I think we can do both but we are not doing both very well at the moment. Maybe my expectations are too high? I think we should focus on perfecting one before the other. Once we lead the server or the possibly the game in one, we can conquer the other.

That being said, I would think that PVP would be the primary focus to start on. I enjoy raiding like anyone else and I think that is obvious by my participation in multiple raid groups but PVP and FA go hand in hand, from what I remember from my MxO days. I know that the make-up of SWTOR is not the same as MxO, making PVP a challenge to perfect. That should not stop us. I see Alpha CO, as an example, patrolling the planets and responding in force to "call for helps". I want, no....I expect FA to be a leader in PVP. For a lack of a better example, we should be the "Order of Shadows" of the Republic! (I hate those guys, by the way) Is this an attainable goal or am I expecting too much? I want Imps to say "OH SHIT, its FA!" when we get into a WZ. I want Imps to think twice before touching an FA member in open world PVP and I want FA to have a more visible presence on the server.

Here are some suggestions and I don't have all the answers, just some ideas....

1) We need to hammer down our PVP perfection, class by class, and become a force to be reckoned with in WZ's. I can't stand to see guilds like CE or OoS "stealing our Thunder"
2) We need more PVP events, both internally and externally. (Let's raid their base on Ilum as an example.)
3) We MUST have more participation from guildies. We need to unite as one guild and stop being so fragmented. Unless you are set against PVP, jump in and get involved. There will always be time for PVE but we need to perfect our PVP first. If you are new to PVP or not comfortable, let's work together to make you a killing machine!
4) We need to be responding to all "call for helps", no matter how small or big and when responding, we should be in FULL RP at the time. People love that shit! In MxO, FA was who you called when the help was needed and you could ALWAYS count on FA to "roll face" on anyone that deserved it.

After all, we did join a RP-PVP server for a reason. This is not a "Care Bear" PVE server, this is a "kick you in the face" server and it is time we start kicking some IMP ass!

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
PVP or PVE
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 04:21:58 pm »
Quote from: "Longboard"
***In my humble opinion, I think we can do both but we are not doing both very well at the moment.

I disagree with this. We are one of only four guilds that have made any progression in EC Hard Mode in our server:

Explosive Conflict (8 Man Hard)
4/4 [â– â– â– â–  ] - [R] Crimson Elite
4/4 [â– â– â– â–  ] - [E] Jen'Jidai
1/4 [â– â–¡â–¡â–¡ ] - [E] Mon Calamari Sushi Company

Source: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=408851

They haven't added us yet, but when they do, you'll notice that it makes us the third top raiding guild on our server.

As for PvP, this is the second day in a row that I've had someone whisper me asking if there's room in our FA PvP group because they would "like to keep winning". I didn't lose a single PvP match today, and that was going up against Order of Shadow and Jen'jidai.

Would I like to see more participation in PvP? Yes. Would I like to see more open world PvP events? Yes. Would I like to see more RP-related PvP events? Yes.

Do I think we need to sacrifice our raid progression? No. Do I think we should force members to play one way or another? No.

I think the real PvP vs PvE issue right now is that PvE content REQUIRES there to be a lot of pre-planning. You MUST have 8 people to even attempt it. PvP is the EXACT OPPOSITE.  You are restricted from having more than 4 people, making it almost impossible to make a big event out of warzones.

I was really disappointed that 8 man queuing didn't come with 1.2. I'm still PvPing every day with anyone who's online. I encourage everyone to find three other people that they can start PvPing with and forming group strategies. We have time set aside on the calendar for you to concentrate on this and find more people. I can't force people to show up at these scheduled events. It's up to you to support it and show up.

Once we can start queuing as an 8 man team, we're going to have a system very similar to our raid system, with permanent rosters and alternates and set times each week. Unfortunately that system is just not in place yet. This poll gives me confidence that once the game does support this, we will have enough people interested and geared to hit the ground running.

P.S. Keep yelling at Sared to create more PvP events. Better yet, help out!

Offline Azarov

• Soldier
    • View Profile
PVP or PVE
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 02:24:39 pm »
Quote from: "Longboard"

After all, we did join a RP-PVP server for a reason. This is not a "Care Bear" PVE server, this is a "kick you in the face" server and it is time we start kicking some IMP ass!

YUP! I hear ya brotha!

Offline Longboard

• RIFTER
  • Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
PVP or PVE
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 01:49:22 am »
I find it hard to believe that only 18 people care about this subject, especially when our members are dropping like flies. There seems to be a lot of mixed feelings about this so.......

VOTE and COMMENT!!!!!!!!

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
PVP or PVE
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 02:09:44 am »
It looks like a majority would like to do both, with almost an equal amount wanting to focus more on PvP. This is good as we're about to start working towards rated warzones again, and we need TALENTED PVPers to sign up! If you voted here for PvP for 50/50, you better start showing up to these PvP events when we have them!

Offline Longboard

• RIFTER
  • Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
PVP or PVE
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 02:29:41 am »
Quote from: "Tbone"
It looks like a majority would like to do both, with almost an equal amount wanting to focus more on PvP. This is good as we're about to start working towards rated warzones again, and we need TALENTED PVPers to sign up! If you voted here for PvP for 50/50, you better start showing up to these PvP events when we have them!

Except for when I'm at the Google campus, like next Tue-Thur for example, I will participate. I want FA to be feared and respected like FA was in MxO!

Offline Kokuei

• Warrior
    • View Profile
PVP or PVE
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 05:39:53 pm »
I voted for both as we can and are doing both. Currenly I am focusing on getting full self-buffs for self-reliance for PvPing. This is for both PvE and PvP, but will greatly benefit me in WZs. I know as a guild when Rated WZs come out it will not be a issue for the guild to do both.

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
[12] 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 230