Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: crashing...  (Read 1024 times)

Anonymous

crashing...
« on: April 02, 2005, 06:06:33 pm »
I still cant get MXO to work. Since the retail version has started and i got  back, i cant seem to get the client to work. It keeps crashing when trying to enter the gameworld. Anyone have similar issues? P.S. I've reinstalled like 5 times...

Anonymous

crashing...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 06:19:43 pm »
either your computer is on crack (and not sharing) or else you need to submit a petition. oh wait, don't submit a petition, they will tell you that you are exploiting and using the client properly but they screwed up and won't admit it so somehow it's your fault.

on a more serious note (haha, music joke, get it? ... nvm), i had the same problem with the QA server for a while that everytime the loadup got to "loading character," the game would just go bye-bye. i wouldn't even get the crash reporter, it would just go away. i had to completely uninstall QA (delete EVERYTHING) and repatch (that took a couple of hours) and then it fixed itself. looks like you did that already ... so it crashes right after the loading screen? between the loading dock and the actual game? have you cleaned your computer lately? (amazing what a disk cleanup, defrag, and running adaware does). make sure when you reinstall to do a full system check. if it's indeed a problem with your machine, you might want to look into a registry cleaner (i have one with a .... legal .... name .... and code .... that you can .... borrow .... ). otherwise i dunno, send in a petition. it's worth a shot.

Offline Ketamininja

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
crashing...
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 07:58:36 pm »
I had this EXACT issue, until tonight. I was fine until retail patch, then I could play for 5 - 10 mins, then it would lag to hell, then crash.

Here's what I found:
Temp was pretty high in PC. Check that first (Try to be below 35c for System & CPU when in BIOS or idle). Cleaned out PC, tidied cables, put thermal grease on CPU.

Check power supply is ABOVE 300w. MXO seems to take major drain :-\ Doing something to my system.

I rolled back to another ATI driver. Got it from my card manufacturs site, specific for my card., did the same for my sound.

I have slightly special memory (CAS2), I reconfigured the settings in BIOS to optium for it.

I found most errors were occuring with graphics card, so the driver and the HEAT were probably the most infuencial factors in my problem. So far so good for me tonight, although I am laggin a lot at points, but not crashing.

I think its fair to say the stess on the system is overloading the CPU or GPU, or possibly just the buses, and with heat and too much stess,... I'm upgrading.. should have stuff next week!! WOOOO

I'm a total frickin rock star from mars.
C'mon bro, I got tiger blood.

Anonymous

crashing...
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 12:14:59 am »
.... i still cant get on. Submitted a petition and stuff... just waiting now. Hopefully a new patch will be released and it will be fixed.

Anonymous

crashing...
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 06:51:34 pm »
Phaze, I'm having the same problem.  Here is their reply to my petition (which coincidentally came 30 minutes after I posted a complaint in the MxO forums... hmm).

Response (mxo.chonji) - 04/02/2005 02:00 PM
Hi jeremy,

We are sorry this crash issue has prevented you from playing for 3 days.  
Please upgrade to WMP 10, not 9.  Also please install Flash 7, the tv in the
tutorial needs it.  Please try rolling back your ati catalyst drivers to this one.

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/wxp-w2k-8-062-040929a-018115C.exe

If this has no effect, try lowering your AGP acceleration and disabling your
AGP fast writes from your bios.

Start > Run > DXDIAG > Enter

Display1 tab > AGP Texture Acceleration > click Disable

Click Exit.

If you can't find your fast writes in your bios, you should be able to access
them

Click Start > Run > SMARTGART > click Basic AGP Acceleration button

Click Off for Fast writes on the window that appears next.

Please let us know if any of this helps.
Thank you for contacting the Matrix Online Team
mxo.chonji

--

It sorta helped... I lockup after 15-30 minutes.  Then I gotta reboot a couple of times otherwise It locks almost immediately.

I can't install wmp10 because it's for XP only, I believe.  I hope that's not the problem.  

I have a feeling it's my graphics card, so I may think about upgrading sooner than I planned.

Anonymous

crashing...
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 11:51:54 pm »
oh thank god that you got an answer. I never did. I'll try that approach. The wmp10.... well iunno i've tried to use my windows media player yet it doesnt work. It did acouple weeks back but it hasnt worked since i tried a couple days ago. Anyone know how to reinstall it? or remove and install wmp9, then upgrade to wmp10? Also my comp has been overrun by a virus that messes up ie6. So I now use netscape. Anyways hope that info helps me, wonder if the wmp10 is the cause of the trouble

Anonymous

crashing...
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 03:07:01 pm »
Well, I got  another CSR response and it made me laugh.  First, he admits that he had no idea that win2k does not support wmp10 and then his next suggestion is to gimp my system by running it at 800x600, 16bit color, turning off all video and sound acceleration and running the game with everything turned off or set as low as possible.

Brilliant!

Anonymous

crashing...
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 06:34:49 pm »
LOL

i really hope, for that CSR's sake, that he was being sarcastic.... otherwise he might need to look into a nother profession .... O_o ....

Anonymous

crashing...
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 09:17:11 pm »
Guess what?  It didn't even work.  Feh.  It's either that mxo doesnt like win2k, the radeon 9200 or both.

Following Ket's advice, I ran a CPU monitor and it was at about 32C at startup.  But when I run mxo, it jumps to 40C almost immediately and 47C within a few minutes.  Then it locks up.  I'll have to see what I can do about that.

Anonymous

crashing...
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2005, 06:40:46 am »
If you're still troubleshooting,and want to try to add/remove WMP10, go to add/remove programs, and when the list loads, click the "show updates' checkbox at the top, and scroll to the bottom and it should now list WMP10 there.

Anonymous

crashing...
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005, 06:44:09 am »
Subtek: also, check to make sure there is good heat transfer going on between your CPU and your heatsink, if there's nothing between them, thats BAD. hehe. make sure either the stock thermal stuff is there (on most amd's it's a pink square pad), if not, try using a good thermal paste, I personally use Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Silver ceramique on all my processors, also make sure your clock or voltages arent overclocked. try checking out all of that and let us know how it goes :)

Anonymous

crashing...
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2005, 03:43:42 pm »
Adrenaline, I am running win2k which does not support wmp10.  At least, I don't think it does.

The heat transfer should be good, but I can't be sure since I didn't install the CPU myself and I'm not quite desperate enough to take it apart to check it yet ;)

Anonymous

crashing...
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2005, 05:23:44 am »
Ouch. id recommend an upgrade to xp when you get a chance, 2k is infamous for not being all that well with games, and you'l get better directx performance in xp over 2k :)

Xp could be just the answer you're looking for, not a big change either, most of it is built on 2000's code, but better optimized for a desktop machine for doing media and games and such. And some pretty looks as well.

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 [18]
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 10