Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: PS4 / Xbox One thread  (Read 8030 times)

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://omeganerd.com
PS4 / Xbox One thread
« on: June 13, 2013, 07:43:20 pm »
Soooo... yeah.  I've only seen a little bit of talk about all of this in the random thread.

Figured I'd dump some of my goodies/thoughts here too.

First off... a little background:

$499 for the xbox one, internet required, online DRM, can't trade, gift, borrow, games.  can only sell or buy used games with a fee.

$399 for the PS4.  No internet required.  No DRM.  Share games as you will.  Plus, you can still put whatever sized hard drive in it that you want.

I mean, we like our kinect games.  But not that much.  And we SERIOUSLY don't care about live TV or sports.  Yeah, wtf, Microsoft.

The wife will be bummed about losing the kinect, but I'll pay to have the optical drive in my 360 replaced and we'll keep it around for parties and stuff.  

DRM BAD

Granted, the PS4 will have the same DRM scheme as the PS3.  Meaning games can still require some sort of DRM but no online passes will be allowed anymore.. YAY... but lesser of two evils here.  I don't see anything on the PS4 that makes it a must buy, but as soon as good games start coming out for it, we'll prolly pick one up.

This statement from Microsoft just makes me think that they're trolling at this point:

This cracked me up to no end.

Some funny/relevant images I found on reddit tonight.  

I laughed so hard at this.

NSFW language

"To the darkened skies once more and ever onward."

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
Re: PS4 / Xbox One thread
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 07:46:49 pm »
Pretty funny and impressive tech demo for the PS4 rendered in real time.  NSFW language

Interesting use of the new controller and the playstation eye tech demo

Pretty good summary of the PS4 E3 info:  http://kotaku.com/what-happened-at-the-ps4s-e3-event-heres-everything-512573270

PS4 tech specs:  http://hexus.net/gaming/news/ps4/56729-sony-details-official-playstation-4-technical-specs/

Offline Strod

• Angelic Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 07:59:07 pm »
Pointless thread.

PS4 wins.

/endthread

Furious since 2006.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 08:49:09 pm »
Whichever gets Oculus Rift support. And it sounds like Sony is very interested!

Offline Manic Velocity

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • Pod Goo & Tonic
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 08:50:58 pm »
The only game I'm looking forward to at this point is Watch Dogs, and that's launching on the PC.  My PS3 has become a glorified Netflix box.

I just don't think I'm much of a console gamer anymore, and the "console war" marketing gimmick has gotten really tiresome over the last 20 years.

Offline Longboard

• RIFTER
  • Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 12:42:42 am »
I will stick with the Xbox 360 and have ZERO intentions of buying any newer Xbox's as long as those new policies are in place. FUCK DRM and fuck the industry for being so greedy!!!!!!

"It's my hokey religion, you can have your blaster!"

Offline Strod

• Angelic Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 04:40:06 am »
Well it's not exactly being greedy, technically it keep more money in the developers hands that make the game we love so much. However, it always worked that way it has and there is not reason to fix what isn't broken. I will be surprised if they don't alter it or change it sooner or later, because it will simply sink them in the water against the PS4.

I guarantee you they have lost at least 20% of their fan base over this, some may think that's a bit high, but just wait and see when the inevitable comparions come.

The prick saying well, if your poor and have no internet, stay with our old news past gen console. Don't buy our new stuff, it's not for you. Is just pure bullshit, companies that make changes like this and have such a snobby attitude towards DEDICATED fans who have genuine concerns about their policies.

Furious since 2006.

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 12:49:20 pm »
PS4 + Oculus Rift support would seriously be so huge for the gaming industry.  SO. HUGE.

Let's face it, console gaming is way more popular with the muggles.  I very much prefer PC gaming but if Oculus could tap into that market as well... and bring the VR stuff to the mainstream and not just the PC gamer enthusiasts... yeah.  That would be awesome for everyone.  Even just Oculus Rift Blue Ray experience on your couch.  Can you imagine?  SO AWESOME.

I'm really liking what I'm hearing coming from the Sony camp lately.

If only SOE could shake off the bad vibes and adopt some of this energy.

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 12:52:54 pm »
I never played the first one but I heard it was amazing.  Gameplay here looks fun

Offline Sared

• VETERAN ANGEL
  • Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 01:23:32 pm »
So far this week's news in the media has been so much Sony fanboi circlejerking over the current news announcements. Booooring.

What I'd like to find out more about is the information and thought process that M$ used to arrive at the decision that their current model would be the best offering for their customers.

Neither hardware giant is stupid, and dismissing the final offering as just 'dumb' gets us nowhere and learns us nothing.

If you haven't seen it yet, Tecknik found a great post on Reddit outlining some of the benefits of a paid Playstation Plus membership here.
I'd like to find a similar summarization of Xbone service features for comparison. Has any media source done that homework yet?

Offline Strod

• Angelic Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 04:35:19 pm »
You want an unbiased analytic video about the Console/Pc wars and why Xbox has done what they did?

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU9GK7oxgSw

Furious since 2006.

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 05:23:12 pm »
So my decision on what to buy is:

XBOXONE - TitanFall (that's on PC though). Sports would be fun, I guess.
PS4 - Witcher 3 is also on this, despite most people thinking it's only on XBOXONE and PC. It won't watch me walking around naked, it has the Order and InFamous Second Son. Oh, and it's cheaper ;)

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 11:58:31 pm »
So uncomfortable

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 04:24:03 pm »
Very very cool of them!  http://kotaku.com/microsoft-is-removing-xbox-one-drm-514390310

Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games - After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today - There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console - there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.

AWESOME!

http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

Update on June 19, 2013: As a result of feedback from the Xbox community, we have changed certain policies for Xbox One reflected in this blog. Some of this information is no longer accurate - please check here for the latest.

Q:    Does Xbox One require an "always on" Internet connection?
A:    No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet. We're designing Xbox One to be your all-in-one entertainment system that is connected to the cloud and always ready. We are also designing it so you can play games and watch Blu-ray movies and live TV if you lose your connection.

Q:    How do consumers benefit by being connected to the cloud?
A:    The cloud makes every experience better and more accessible.  Because Xbox One is powered by the cloud:
Your games have more power available to create new gameplay, persistent worlds, and deeper experiences.
Your system and games can update automatically, so you shouldn't have to wait for downloads or updates.
Your games and entertainment are stored and saved in the cloud, so you can access them anytime, from any Xbox One.*
Start a game, movie, or TV show on one console and finish exactly where you left off on another.
You can play multiplayer games with your friends, stream movies or TV shows right away, and enjoy the community and social features of Xbox Live.
Xbox One can recognize you, log you in and tailor your home screen just for you.

You can discover what your friends are playing, watching and listening to if they choose to share.
These are just a few examples of how customers benefit from our platform being connected to the Internet. It brings the future of TV and games to our consumers-and it's designed for today and the decade ahead.

* Subject to content geographical restrictions.

Q:    When will Xbox One launch and in what markets?
A:    Xbox One will launch in markets around the world later this year. We'll have more to share later.

Q:    Can I use my current gamertag on Xbox One and will my Gamerscore and Achievements transfer?
A:    Yes. Your current Xbox Live Gamertag will stay with you on Xbox One if you choose to keep it, and your hard-earned Gamerscore and Achievements will indeed carry over from Xbox 360.

Q:    Will Xbox One be backward compatible with my existing games?
A:    Xbox One hardware is not compatible with Xbox 360 games. We designed Xbox One to play an entirely new generation of games-games that are architected to take full advantage of state-of-the-art processors and the infinite power of the cloud. We care very much about the investment you have made in Xbox 360 and will continue to support it with a pipeline of new games and new apps well into the future.

Q:    Will Xbox One allow players to trade in, purchase and play pre-owned games?
A:    We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We'll have more details to share later.

Q:    Will my current Xbox Live Gold membership work with Xbox One or will I have to buy a new one?
A:    You do not need to buy a new Xbox Live Gold membership. Your current membership will work on both Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

Q:   Why require Kinect with every Xbox One?
A:    The all new Kinect is now an essential and integrated part of the platform.  By having it as a consistent part of every Xbox One, game and entertainment creators can build experiences that assume the availability of voice, gesture and natural sensing, leading to unrivaled ease of use, premium experiences and interactivity for you.

Q:    Do I need to have a specific cable or satellite TV provider to watch live TV on Xbox?
A:    Our goal is to enable live TV through Xbox One in every way that it is delivered throughout the world, whether that's television service providers, over the air or over the Internet, or HDMI-in via a set top box (as is the case with many providers in the US). The delivery of TV is complex and we are working through the many technologies and policies around the world to make live TV available where Xbox One is available.

Q:    Xbox One is a more powerful product compared to Xbox 360, but does it also use more power?
A:   By providing multiple power states in Xbox One, we've balanced energy efficiency with functionality. We've taken a completely different approach to how Xbox One consumes power. It only uses the power it needs at that particular moment for the task at hand.

I'm glad that they're being flexible. Nothing solid yet on some of my DRM concerns but a step in the right direction!!!!

Offline Strod

• Angelic Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 04:27:51 pm »
When the majority of your customers say fuck you, you have to adapt to change.

It's good they are trying to change things, but I still won't buy one.

Furious since 2006.

* Discord

Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online