Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: IGN's SWTOR Beta Hub  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
IGN's SWTOR Beta Hub
« on: October 28, 2011, 03:28:17 pm »
IGN's SWTOR Beta Hub

With the press embargo lifted, there are a lot of articles with impressions about SWTOR this week. IGN had their own blowout on the game. Impressions have been very positive almost across the board.

Offline Mharz

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
Re: IGN
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 07:25:23 pm »
I'm not sure who the IGN fans are here but from my recent experience..

IGN = Ignorant Gaming Nerds.  They reviewed combat with a little focus on the Guardian and Trooper.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1210678p1.html

What follows is my thoughts on this review from another thread on the official SWTOR forums.

IGN's review of the Jedi Knight was lacking in my opinion. The reviewer clearly didn't understand the class mechanics or perhaps even basic game mechanics. Look at the top of the review "Where'd my autoattack go?" Generate Focus, Spend Focus.

Quoting the review, "I certainly found myself at times instinctually waiting for my auto-attack (which doesn't exist) to build up focus, noticing I was losing health while just standing there, and remembering to mash the buttons."

This shows clear lack of understanding. But wait, there's more!

Another quote, "The Knight also didn't get any powerful crowd control, which made questing alone somewhat frustrating at times, and made me more reliant on my companion for mass killing power."

If you look carefully (read google smartly) you'll see that the Jedi Knight has a couple VERY, VERY powerful CCs and why would you be trying to AOE when you are using CC abilities? Why aren't you single targeting and burning a target down while the rest of the group is slowed or stunned? Again, a clear lack of game play understanding.

Finally this quote shows just how much the reviewer didn't understand the class mechanics. "Later, after choosing the Guardian advanced class -- the more defensive and tank-oriented of the two Knight advanced class choices -- I was able to obtain Sundering Strike. Like the other ability, Sundering Strike built focus, but also lowered my target's armor by a percentage. It began to fit into my rotation and would essentially replace the more basic strike half the time."

Other posters piled on as well citing and quoting the review showing just how ignorant the reviewer was.  I would take anything they write with a grain of salt.

I honestly thought IGN had some real gamers that understood how to play. Its sort of shameful that they let someone who clearly doesn't understand so much post on their site. I'm disappointed in the review. I expected more.

TL;DR Version: The IGN reviewer didn't know how to play a Jedi Guardian. Bad players play badly and cry about how weak their class is. IGN wake up and get better players to write reviews.

Offline ReReminiscence

• Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 11:42:48 am »
Honestly anything that comes from IGN is nothing but stupidity in my humble opinion. I've boycotted they myself

No darkness, no light, only understanding

Offline eeth

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 01:10:07 pm »
My favorite review so far is Mharz's review of the reviewer :D

"Uh oh, am I...am I crashing? There's too much dancing!"

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat