Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: So, what kind of server?  (Read 3891 times)

Offline Keeloth

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
So, what kind of server?
« on: December 17, 2010, 02:02:16 pm »
According to the new Q&A released here, there will be PvE and PvP servers, at the least.  We can also hope that there will be RP and RP PvP servers.  The question I wanted to ask was: which server would we be best suited for?

In every MMO that isn't EVE, I've always tended to roll on a PvE server and just PvP in battlegrounds, though I enjoyed a few open world raids in WoW.  But if there's a RP PvP server option, I think that'd be a good way to amke our mark on the server.

Offline Ragnarok

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
Re: So, what kind of server?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 02:29:22 pm »
I think we need to wait until the official server rules and more pvp info is revealed before we decide. As of now I would lean towards rp pvp with rp as a backup.

So long as I breathe, I live. So long as I live, I fight. So long as I fight, I triumph!

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lostlocalhost.com
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 02:38:44 pm »
FA not choose a PvP server? I couldn't ever see that. It just wouldn't feel right.
I'm not all wishy-washy on this: FA shines in PvP, why would we choose anything else?

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 02:59:36 pm »
PvPRP if they have it. If they don't, we'll make one. When I think of an RP server, I think of Recursion. When I think of a PvP server, I think of Vector. The thing about Recursion was that, for the most part, everyone sat around chatting - friend and foe alike - and it just made for a lot of smack talk without any action.

With Vector, there was a whole lot of action, but you also had more asshats to deal with.

Personally, I think if you opt out of a PvP server, you're going to miss out on a good chunk of the game (especially endgame). You can RP regardless of what server you're on. Because of this, I think I would lean towards going to a PvP server and getting involved in the RP community there rather than go to an RP server that PvP content turned off with no way of accessing it. Ideally, though, there will be a PvP server that's flagged as RP as well.

Another "too early to tell" topic, I'm afraid.

Edit: I swear I get more stupid every day. Spelled "regardless of what server you're on" as "regardless of what server your own" That's just tacky!

Offline Ragnarok

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 03:47:22 pm »
Quote from: "Fuse"
FA not choose a PvP server? I couldn't ever see that. It just wouldn't feel right.
I'm not all wishy-washy on this: FA shines in PvP, why would we choose anything else?

Ok the only thing a pvp server really does different is that it states that this area, this area, and this area are open pvp.  Rp servers still have all the normal pvp: battlegrounds, flaging, etc, but no open pvp.

Now don't get me wrong I love pvp, but I have found that rp is what usually will keep me in a game longer. Example wow had very shitty pvp imo,but great rp which made me stay longer.

Now there are servers like Starsider from swg. Starsider was a rp server, but promoted and encourage pvp. Example: so you have a dispute that you cant solve with words, so you take it to the streets and solve it with pvp. There were also many guilds which rped being part of the military and openly engaged in pvp.

So long as I breathe, I live. So long as I live, I fight. So long as I fight, I triumph!

Offline ArchNemesis

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 03:51:05 pm »
I see us definitely going the PVP route.

If there is a PVPRP then obviously that's probably the way we'll go. For just standard picks of Normal, RP, or PVP... I see PVP as being the option. Tbone hit the nail right on the head.

Offline Saint

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/saintxxx/Jedi-Archives
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 06:18:52 pm »
pvp

Offline ArchNemesis

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 07:03:25 pm »
The thing with Open pvp that i love is that if someone talks smack he can't just run to a safe zone and continue barking. In MxO you can run / Hyperjump  all across the city if the need be.

In a normal server people that hung around PVP zones will tend to smack talk and run when the chips are down and smack talk some more with nothing to back it.

I enjoyed when every area wasn't safe a lot more than the constructs.

Offline ExternalError

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://n/a
So, what kind of server?
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 08:37:37 pm »
pvp all the way its where true teamwork shines and where tight knit groups like FA clean up plus once RP can always come afterwards and it makes it more real knowing you can be attacked at any corner

Offline Keeloth

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 08:39:54 pm »
There's also the fact that when presented wit the a choice of PvP, PvE, and RP, a lot of RPers will converge on a PvP server and make it the "Unofficial" RPPVP server.   I'm sure something similar would happen here if there aren't any RPPVP servers.

Offline Broin

• Second-in-Command
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
So, what kind of server?
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 08:44:44 pm »
The ability to hunt down and dispatch those who are deemed worthy of targeting is always appealing to me.

Go ahead, make my day.

Offline Eroz

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
So, what kind of server?
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 10:09:56 pm »
Quote from: "Broin"
The ability to hunt down and dispatch those who are deemed worthy of targeting is always appealing to me.

I thought that was your day job anyways.

I'm with Fuse on this, FA in anything other then a PvP server just feels wrong. But as we are a RP group that is important too. But Tbone did hit the nail on the head, we can always RP in the PvP server, but we can't PvP in a RP server.

My order choice.
PVPRP
PVP
RP
"Have you ever tried to dismantle a snowball?" - Linus, Peanut's Gang.

Offline Ragnarok

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
So, what kind of server?
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 12:19:11 am »
Quote from: "Broin"

I agree with this in entirely but we need to wait and see what benefits we would receive from a pvp rule-set server. You have to keep in mind that this is Bioware's first game to include pvp. Now they will still have access to mythic and other EA owned companies, but it is still their first so we will have to wait and see what they decide it will encompass.

Offline Paitryn

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
So, what kind of server?
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 02:51:48 am »
Depends on where the significant pvp is to be had to actually say. If this follows the wow server model, all good pvp is in some instanced or zoned area that normal servers had all the same, the only thing pvp servers changed was the open world griefing issue.

Offline NoCry

• Staff
    • View Profile
So, what kind of server?
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 05:10:25 pm »
Pvp with a dash of rp.

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11