Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Wireless Woes  (Read 5302 times)

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
Wireless Woes
« on: February 23, 2009, 08:49:09 pm »
Ok, here's the problem. I need a steady wireless connection or the clan will fail seiges! So YOU have to help me with this! I've called Linksys, done everything I can...here's the issue....

I have a WRT150N wireless router. Gets really fast speeds. Very very nice, excellent signal strength. I'm connected wirelessly in another room and I have two roommates who are as well.

Several times a day the speed will drop suddenly from 54.0 Mbps to 1.0 Mbps. I'll get disconnected from everything. Renewing IP doesn't work, changing channels doesn't work...I have to power cycle the router and sometimes the modem as well. Often times I have to power cycle a few times before the speed will kick back up. It drops out for all of us.

Recently I've noticed that occassionally when I power cycle, my computer will experience a "Generic Host Error Win32" and shut itself down. I don't know if that's related or unrelated to my networking problems.

This will happen when I'm doing something, when I'm not doing something...whether I'm home or now, have Bit Torrent running or not, TS running or not, it will just randomly happen. So help!

Anonymous

Re: Wireless Woes
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 09:06:42 pm »
i would , update the router firmware, update my modems firmware, update my network card drivers, update the network card drivers for all my buddies,  check my ethernet cables for any stints or damage, change them out accordingly, do the same for my buddies, make sure my router and modem arn't close to other devices that emit radio/micro/thermal/vapor/omgawdicantbelieveit'snotbutter/ waves.  this includes but not limited to, phones, chargers, tv, microwave, ps3hookedupwirelessly, wirelessanythingforthatmatter, then i would proceed to resetting both modem and router to factory and reupdating firmware, and finally buying a new router.
or you or your buddies might have a little viral snag in your network......chances of that are.......33%...depends on what poon sites you like the most etc etc....cough

my monies on firmware or buying a new router,  i have a wrt54g linksys, rock solid, dropped it twice and let it have a nice giant wiff of furbreeze and still works like a champ

Offline Bellthazor

• Angelic Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 09:15:33 pm »
I agree...The firmware update should fix this, and if not you may need to look at a new one. You can also try running network line straight to the router and see if you lose connectivity ( I know it's a pain to have this going across the floor, but it's a good way to test).

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://omeganerd.com
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 10:29:12 am »
The above fixes have my IT Manager stamp of approval however do your roommates have any of the same issues?  If not we need to take a different path of troubleshooting.
"To the darkened skies once more and ever onward."

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 10:40:48 am »
Sigh, I cant begin to tell you the head aches I got when I used wireless, encountering the same problems, it was explained to me that  later in the day theres more people on which slows the activity or something like that .... After a month of trial and error fixes and hours spent talking to my internet provider, I gave up and got cable

Lol, not a good help I know

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 10:53:47 am »
Firmware is up to date. It happens to all of my roommates, not just me. I assume if it was some virus-related traffic causing the problem that my speed would be sluggish a lot. It is not near any other wireless signals. I've gone back to factory defaults a few times.

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 11:32:44 am »
New router time.  I have good luck with netgear.  Is it possible to get away from wireless?

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 11:41:12 am »
I just have a fear that the issue is all the wireless networks around me and I will ultimately have the same issue with a new router, but I am getting frustrated enough to just put up the money.

Anonymous

Wireless Woes
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 11:55:22 am »
ive seen that on other routers too, not the model you have but, ill get calls to people's homes to fix their router and power cycling does the job, eventually i just help them pick out a better router and that will be the end of it.  

after my pockets are chunky of course...lol jk

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 12:04:48 pm »
Quote from: "Tbone"
I just have a fear that the issue is all the wireless networks around me and I will ultimately have the same issue with a new router, but I am getting frustrated enough to just put up the money.

On the 802 band you have the option of changing it's "channel"  You have 11 channels.  Basically if it's at channel 11 try channel 1 to 3.  If it's channel 1 try 9 - 11.  This is all changed from within the configuration page.  Experiment with different channels to see if that's your problem.

It's a good idea to stumble your apartment to see what your neighbors are using.  See here:  http://www.pcmech.com/article/clean-up-a-wireless-signal-by-changing-the-channel/

Edit: Change your channel to something not in use by neighbors as revealed by netstumbler.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 12:19:45 pm »
Tried netstumbler weeks ago and tried different channels, especially the ones with less networks on them. This actually seemed to make it worse.

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 12:32:01 pm »
Yup, get a new router.  

I personally recommend netgear.  If you're going to get a G router get one of their rangemax series.  They have a lot more distance (wall and interference tolerance).  If you don't mind the extra bucks just for future proofing get one of their N routers.

The most recent N router I got from them has some really nice QoS stuff.  It enabled me to prioritize things like webtraffic, online games and teamspeak higher and put things like bittorrent last in line.  Very handy.  I get massive distance too.  I live in 2000+sf two story house and get awesome signal all over the house.  You can get one of those from newegg for like $69 with free shipping.

Offline Ash

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 12:34:03 pm »
Quote from: "likwidtek"

...On the 802 band you have the option of changing it's "channel"  You have 11 channels.  Basically if it's at channel 11 try channel 1 to 3.  If it's channel 1 try 9 - 11.  This is all changed from within the configuration page.  Experiment with different channels to see if that's your problem.

I was wondering how long it'd take before someone recommend this.  lol.

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men"

Offline Adad

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 01:26:23 pm »
I agree with lik.  I'd recommend netgear as well.  Also, as far as I know, Best Buy has completely gotten rid of its restocking fees, so if they have good prices, get it there.  If it sucks, take it back within 30 days.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 05:41:00 pm »
K just bought a netgear n router from Best Buy - $95. Will install soon and see if Adad owes me 100 bucks. Hah

* Discord

Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 57