Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Troubleshooting New Computer  (Read 3316 times)

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
Troubleshooting New Computer
« on: May 06, 2009, 12:31:34 am »
So I got my new computer in (yay)!! It's shiny and impressive, but per usual, I have "issues" I need to take care of.

So first of all, while my Logitech USB headset will receive audio, the microphone doesn't seem to be working. Doing a search, I saw a lot of people are saying the USB headsets aren't working for Vista 64 bit. Haven't found a solution.

The other problem was a "side-by-side comparison" error with Darkfall. This had to do with a Microsoft Visual problem. Once I figured out how to fix that, it just gives me an installation error. Best solution I know of is just to redownload the whole damn thing and hope for the best.

Funny thing is, none of my games work so I haven't been able to test the new system yet! Lame!best.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
Re: Troubleshooting New Computer
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 02:21:30 am »
I managed to get Darkfall downloaded and set up (connecting directly to the router with this new ethernet card, I was downloading up to 2M/s). Wow, freakin awesome. I forgot how good this game can look. Everything was at max and running smoothly. I'll have to do more tests when we get into battles and such, but wow.

Still having the mic issue. I'll try to resolve that tomorrow.

Offline NoCry

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 03:40:30 am »
I run vista 64 bit too and had issues with my USB headset mic (and headphones). My workaround was to go into the volume control once the usb was plugged in and make the USB mic/headphone the default device. It then allowed me to configure the mic etc.

Offline ZephixLeer (Zephic)

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 05:42:28 am »
Quote from: "NoCry"
I run vista 64 bit too and had issues with my USB headset mic (and headphones). My workaround was to go into the volume control once the usb was plugged in and make the USB mic/headphone the default device. It then allowed me to configure the mic etc.

Very accurate in my experiences as well.

The big thing to note in Vista is the fact that when you right click on the volume icon on the bottom right, you have to set both a default playback and recording device. You can't just set your playback to headphones and expect it to know you'd rather use the mic attached to it for recording over using nothing at all. Poor Vista... and we thought it would be so smart. :(

I do like it more than XP now that I've gotten used to it though. :) It will all be worth-while once you've gotten all the bugs out of it!

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 03:24:47 pm »
One of the first things I did was check that it was set to default. Can't remember if I set the playback as the headset as well. I'll try that as well as trying one of the front ports. Ugh I wish I wasn't working all day!!

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 06:50:45 pm »
Nope, still not working...

Offline Broin

• Second-in-Command
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 06:59:03 am »
Get those SOB's you bought the thing from on the phone and demand that they fix it.

Go ahead, make my day.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 02:27:51 pm »
Ok, this has to do with my old computer, but in order to consolidate, I put it in this thread.

The right fan (the video card fan) does not seem to be working. This would seem to be the reason behind the poor performance on my laptop and the video card crashes I've been getting. I downloaded a fan control utility and set everything to high. The left side is running high, but the right side is not running at all.

So my question is, what steps can I take to repair this myself? Open her up and check for dust? Is that about it?

Offline Larnor

• Meat Shield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 02:42:34 pm »
Quote from: "Tbone"
Open her up and check for dust? Is that about it?

There are usually packs of dust in all heaters of notebooks that I have tryed to repair, so the best way is to open, check and clean. Also you can check thermal grease on video and processor.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 03:07:04 pm »
To give a bit more information, when forcing the settings of my two fans to high, fan 1 is spinning at 5122RPM and fan 2 is spinning at 3345RPM. At least it is reading as spinning, but I'm not sure that's the case. Even if it is, it isn't performing very well.

Hopefully this fan utility will at least help me force them to work better as well as monitor how bad it is overheating. If I get motivated enough, maybe I'll take the damn thing apart again and try to get out the dust. I just know how stupidly complex that gets as I did it not too long ago.

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://omeganerd.com
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 05:03:45 pm »
By the way.. we want pics of the new PC dude.
"To the darkened skies once more and ever onward."

Offline Lithium

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://followtheangel.org
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 05:15:15 pm »
There is a very specific way to take about a laptop to get to all the components. You need to do a search on google for, "YourLaptopBrandAndModel Service Manual" or "Repair Manual." You do not want a user guide. The actual service manual will tell you step by step how to get to every component in the laptop. You probably did this to replace the video card so it should be no big deal.

You'll want to get the dust out as it may be hinder the fans. Don't assume you'll force it out by speeding up the fans. Quite possibly you'll make it worse and burn out your fans that much quicker. Get new thermal compound. Spend the extra buck for arctic silver and apply it correctly. It is disturbing some of the shit they put in these laptops. My tablet is covered in this thick black tar like thermal shit, ridiculous.

Don't believe everything you think.

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online