Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Phase 3 Started: Finalize your guild now  (Read 6751 times)

Offline jessercas

• Soldier
    • View Profile
Phase 3 Started: Finalize your guild now
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 03:35:36 pm »
I ditto a lot of what likwidtek said. I understand the fear of isolating our heavy RP members and I share that concern. Big picture though, I think that staying PVP would be our best bet starting out the gate. Besides, the awesomeness of our guild and the added level of enjoyment the style brings might start inspiring people in the server to embrace the light RP. We talk about being influential, well then maybe we can influence the sever to fit our style.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 04:16:42 pm »
Just got a PM from Jen'Jidai saying they are manually going to get on an RP-PvP server.

Offline Manic Velocity

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • Pod Goo & Tonic
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 04:37:25 pm »
Personally, I'd rather not give the impression that we are following wherever Woodgrain goes.  Maybe I'm holding a bit of a grudge, but imagine the ego that would give him.

My main concern is that on an RP-PvP server we will be required to remain in-character.  That's what RP is.  The RP comes first, and PvP comes second.  I like RP, I like developing my character, and I like being immersed in a story.  But I don't want it to be a rule that I have to follow.

My other concern is the fact that if we make the jump to an RP-PvP server,  we run the risk of losing our guild name if someone else claims it before we can.  By sticking to a PvP server, the guild name is guaranteed to be preserved.  It will be ours.

The way I see it, and the way I've always seen it, we are a PvP guild that engages in some RP.  Not vice-versa.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 04:44:34 pm »
Quote from: "ManicVelocity"
Personally, I'd rather not give the impression that we are following wherever Woodgrain goes.

Our allies are also adversaries with Jen'Jidai. My thought is that this is the beginning of everyone we're connected with deciding to do the same.

My main concern is that on an RP-PvP server we will be required to remain in-character.

It's encouraged, but not required. It's not enforced. I believe most RPers are kinda like us, actually. Among themselves they play the game. When dealing with the public, they put on some RP flair.

Honestly my concern with being on just a PvP server is that we'll constantly be asked the question "why aren't you guys on an RP-PvP server if you're gonna do all this RP shit?" I see it become a potential obstacle we're constantly fighting. Every time we want to do something interesting, some jackass will tell us we should switch servers. It won't help that all the other PvPers who engage in RP like us will have made the switch. So instead of being in a PvP server with a community of like-minded folks, we'll be the only ones.

My other concern is the fact that if we make the jump to an RP-PvP server,  we run the risk of losing our guild name if someone else claims it before we can.  By sticking to a PvP server, the guild name is guaranteed to be preserved.  It will be ours.

I think we are the only Furious Angels in the Guild HQ. If we aren't, we're probably the only ones who would go RP-PvP. Even if someone manages to take it, we just use "THE Furious Angels".

Offline Ragnarok

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 05:09:15 pm »
Quote from: "likwidtek"
Our overall happiness as a Guild (excluding game fun etc) will be directly based on 1) Guild activity and 2) Server population.

Yes that is true but if we don't have a good community then they in turn will harm us.

That said, I'm pretty sure a pure PVP server will be way more populated, thus more fun.  An RP PVP server seems a bit niche and I don't think we'll have as much fun/exposure/impact on the world.   Not to mention but the last couple games I played where I rolled on an RP server, everyone was so uptight.  Having to always worry about speaking in and out of character... ugh.  Not only that but don't we define ourselves as LIGHT RP?  Going full blown RP seems like a big jump.

I fully disagree I think that we would have better exposure on a rp-pvp server because it is an rp server unlike on a pvp server where we might not be taken as seriously because we rp. Also BioWare has stated that they will not enforce rp so you wont really have to worry about ic/ooc. Whats wrong with a light rp guild going on rp-pvp server? We are just saying hey we like pvp and rp. Also a handful of us really enjoy rp including myself and will be heavy rpers. I personally will be IC almost all the time and would like to be on a server that supports that.

Another thing to think about, if you're not in FA and you see us all in uniform, formation and we're approaching you.  Either in a friendly or not friendly way.  Which is more impressive?  If this scenario plays out on an RP server... it's just another day in the life...  But if you witness something like this on a PvP server... it's that much more rare.  I think it makes a bigger statement/impression.

First we have no clue if we will be able to have a functional uniform and we wont be the only guild that uses one no matter what server we are on. Second formations are used all the time in pvp, especially in open world pvp.

@Tbone I don't think the rp-pvp servers will have a problem whatsoever with population.

So long as I breathe, I live. So long as I live, I fight. So long as I fight, I triumph!

Offline Manic Velocity

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • Pod Goo & Tonic
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 06:08:46 pm »
Quote from: "Tbone"
It's encouraged, but not required. It's not enforced.

In some games it is.  That's why people join RP servers.  They want 100% immersion.  The hardcore RP'ers will report anyone who isn't in-character, and the GM's enforce it.

Quote from: "Tbone"
Honestly my concern with being on just a PvP server is that we'll constantly be asked the question "why aren't you guys on an RP-PvP server if you're gonna do all this RP shit?" I see it become a potential obstacle we're constantly fighting. Every time we want to do something interesting, some jackass will tell us we should switch servers. It won't help that all the other PvPers who engage in RP like us will have made the switch. So instead of being in a PvP server with a community of like-minded folks, we'll be the only ones.

So we'd rather roll over to appease the people who don't like us?  That doesn't sound like FA.  We've always done our own thing, despite heavy opposition.  It's what we were known for in MxO.

Offline Strod

• Angelic Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 06:32:43 pm »
My other concern is the fact that if we make the jump to an RP-PvP server, we run the risk of losing our guild name if someone else claims it before we can. By sticking to a PvP server, the guild name is guaranteed to be preserved. It will be ours.

This is a good point to consider, I understand we could always add The to our Guild display name. I prefer [Furious Angels] over [The Furious Angels] any day. However, I wouldn't base the decision over a word.

Our allies are also adversaries with Jen'Jidai. My thought is that this is the beginning of everyone we're connected with deciding to do the same.

If we do choose to go to a RP-PVP server, and all of our friends and eniemies do the same: i.e it would be like we were all placed on the RP-PVP server because we all changed to it, I think this would be a very good idea.

In some games it is. That's why people join RP servers. They want 100% immersion. The hardcore RP'ers will report anyone who isn't in-character, and the GM's enforce it.

I understand the concern, but when I think back to MxO and how we played this was never an issue for us. I get that it was never ENFORCED by GMs and you wouldn't get into trouble if you broke RP. However, when did we atually break RP to a point is was in the public and not just with ourselfs at a insectacid location or in a construct farming? The FA Pain Train doesn't count because all we did was steam roll over people in silence. It's a valid concern but not something I think we have to worry about if people stick to the guide lines and "play style" that is a Furious Angel.

So we'd rather roll over to appease the people who don't like us? That doesn't sound like FA. We've always done our own thing, despite heavy opposition. It's what we were known for in MxO.

I understand this point too, it doesn't sit well with me to do so, however I think it's a bit more than that. Putting ourselfs in a potential situation to be constantly hounded by PVPers who don't want to RP and constantly troll us isn't ideal. If we attempt to place ourselfs in an ideal situation it will pay off a lot more in the end. The greifing will be 1000% more intense than Vector from MxO. It really is something to consider avoiding.

Furious since 2006.

Offline Paitryn

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 06:41:36 pm »
RP rulesets are already listed as suggested and will not be enforced

PVP servers even in beta are a pretty tough crowd. they remind me a lot of servers in WoW already. the community has about the same attitude as 4chan. any ammunition you give them to make fun of you will be used extensively.

you can compromise and let the server assingn us as intended, then let a small group of us who tested the game go to the intended RP-pvp server and level quickly and snag the guild name. from there we can mass migrate if we wish.

Offline Mharz

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 07:12:41 pm »
After reading the thoughtful comments of many of you and thinking about the issue a little I think the issue is really a non-issue.  Here's why.

We're an RP-PvP guild and we're on a PvP server.  We ally with a couple other RP-PvP guilds who end up on our server.  We also have some adversaries who are RP-PvP on the same server.  Each of those guilds, friend and foe alike, so long as they are similar in mindset to ours will be RP-PvP.  Each of those guilds will be allied and opposed by guilds with similar interests.  Suddenly there are 10 Republic Guilds and 10 Empire Guilds who all do light RP with PvP and we're all on a PvP server.

So, to the random person, the server says PvP but the huge chunk of players that got imported by guild matching know the community is really RP-PvP.

The problem self corrects itself so long as all of our allies and opposition stay true to our path and don't waiver.

If FA (106 members), Champions of the Force (193 members), and The Guardians (124 members) all end up on the same server that means by our playstyle and our solidarity we control the server community atmosphere.  Now extend the web to the next tier.  Look at MERC, Jen Jidai.  

Do you see the power in the solidarity of just two levels of this kind of web?  Self correcting.  No problem.

Where's my beta key?!?

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://omeganerd.com
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 07:44:47 pm »
Strod:  In MxO we played on a Hostile server, not an RP server.  Right?

My biggest concern is still server population.  It will suck complete ass if our server is a ghost town.  Yes it's possible it'll be super super full... but RP server are always SO LIGHT as they're very niche.. This will kill open world PVP and be not fun at all.

How many of you have played on RP servers before?  Maybe I just had a bad experience but in WoW it was blech.  Could someone who's played full RP in previous games speak up about the servers that they've played on?
"To the darkened skies once more and ever onward."

Offline Amarantus

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 08:32:32 pm »
I played on Antonia Bayle on EQ2 it is one of the heaviest population servers. My experience on AB was pretty phenomenal and in general it was a much better community then the other high pop servers.

It is entirely up to the players to make the server and if our server pulls to many of the wow "standard" crowd then it will suck. No matter the server type.
I used to think I was perfect. However, thinking ones self perfect is conceit and conceit is a character flaw... I have no character flaws.

Offline Broin

• Second-in-Command
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2011, 09:03:58 pm »
personally I don't care where we go to.  I don't think the RP PVP or PVP is gonna make a bit of difference...

I was just asked on TS what my thoughts were and my qoute was "I don't give two shits as to where we go."

I think if all of our allies decide to go RP-PVP then we might want to consider going to it.  

As far as Adversaries who cares... we are going to have plenty of those wherever we go.

Most important thing for all of our members to remember is this......

WE DON'T DO DRAMA HERE.

We'll discuss it.  Come to a general consensus.  And move on.  That simple.  No worries.  And don't get your panties in a bunch if it don't go the way you want, because for some of us it's not gonna go the way we want.  

Breathe... relax.... Plenty of time before the game starts.

For all we know they'll be a big uproar on the SWTOR forums and they'll change thier mind and place people into a RP-PVP server.

Patience... Diligence... Percieve before you act.  Then act with conviction....

That is all

Go ahead, make my day.

Offline Arawn

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 09:22:02 pm »
I will have to agree with Paitryn on the idea of splitting up... Some stay on the assigned server, others rush level 10 and take "Furious Angels" guild name, from there we just decide where to go... personally I prefer "Furious Angels" over "The Furious Angels", like Strod.

@Manic, I too don't like to show Wood that we are following him (and we aren't following  specifically him, but thats easily fixed with a reply, "Welcome to the Club, See you on Ilum" or something else that says we already decided to move over there, see you on the Open PvP World.

Also, I gotta agree with couple of Angels here...

First, as Ragnarok sayd... We wont be the only guild with an uniform.

And as Amarantus sayd... if our server pulls to many of the wow "standard" crowd then it will suck. No matter the server type.

If I had the source code... Life would be easier.

Offline Solstice

• Meat Shield
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 09:33:54 pm »
I agree with Lt. Commander Broin, I personally don't care where we go. My thoughts are we will make the best of it no matter where or whom decides to be with us or against us. On a side note at least on a PVP server we will have that opportunity - on an RP server we couldn't so I would say that 100 immersion is really on a PVP server.  

What would Star Wars be like if there were no battles?

Bring the light, and scatter the darkness.

Offline Ragnarok

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 10:34:29 pm »

My biggest concern is still server population.  It will suck complete ass if our server is a ghost town.  Yes it's possible it'll be super super full... but RP server are always SO LIGHT as they're very niche.. This will kill open world PVP and be not fun at all.

How many of you have played on RP servers before?  Maybe I just had a bad experience but in WoW it was blech.  Could someone who's played full RP in previous games speak up about the servers that they've played on?

Man you must of played on some crappy rp servers.  All the rp servers I have ever played on have always been medium-high pop wise.

So long as I breathe, I live. So long as I live, I fight. So long as I fight, I triumph!

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 248