Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Trooper-Commando: hybrid Combat Medic, theorycrafting etc.  (Read 1572 times)

Offline eeth

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Trooper-Commando: hybrid Combat Medic, theorycrafting etc.
« on: November 18, 2011, 01:11:02 am »
anyone care to start thoughts discussion around possible advantages disadvantages of going hybrid vs. full Combat Medic?

I'll start :)

Looking at this: 24/17/0 build as a possibility. Edit: DH DB link (some talent descriptions broken).

Basic thought/strategy/goals behind this build.

1. try to maintain majority of utility as a healer.
2. acquire some very powerful utility/survivability talents in the 3rd/4th tiers of the Gunnery tree.
3. DPS burst available through various talents that make Charged Bolts very attractive as your go-to ability for turning on DPS when needed (also, 18 ammo worth of Charged Bolts for free).

Let me know if I should elaborate on any reasoning behind some choices or if anyone has any thoughts. Thanks!

"Uh oh, am I...am I crashing? There's too much dancing!"

Offline ZephixLeer (Zephic)

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
Re: Trooper-Commando: hybrid Combat Medic, theorycrafting et
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 12:15:48 am »
I'm at work so I have little time to go over each point spent, but looking at the darth hater link, I have to say 15% increase to healing bonus for crits is too big to pass on for me. (Potent Medicine) I felt towards the end of my beta weekend that the combat medic seemed to be reliant on crits to do a lot of the healing I did. Specializing in crits and improving on them is where I intend to go version 1 of my combat medic/gunnery hybrid.

Going pure combat medic may see a different specialization, I'm not sure... but I really saw some power behind the crit healer route. not to mention, "Field Training" sort of points that route too. -And crit gear carries over to improve your DPS, even though "Potent Medicine" is of course specific to healing as a talent.

With that line of thought, I may move the point from "Heavy Trooper" to "Deadly Cannon," too. Even more help from the crit-based gear there. I'df probably pic kup Grab round too. The decrease to armor is nice, and helps a group. Especially if you are the only trooper. Now, if you knew there'd be another trooper, I suppose the survivability the other two provide trumps the point. You could possibly even drop Tenacious defense and pop the two points into Grav route and Gravity Surge since you now need it. -Or use those two points to get up to Potent medicine, as mentioned before.

Offline eeth

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Trooper-Commando: hybrid Combat Medic, theorycraftin
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 12:50:12 pm »
Quote from: "Zephic"
I felt towards the end of my beta weekend that the combat medic seemed to be reliant on crits to do a lot of the healing I did.

interesting info, thanks for sharing. i've never been a fan of RNG reliance, thus my initial shying away from investing heavily in that. I suppose a big factor will be seeing how high we can get our crit chance in lvl 50 pvp gear. I feel like RNG works itself out over the long haul in a pve boss fight, but that in pvp engagements, i'd rather have something i know i can count on, like more defensive cooldowns in a shorter period of time. Or i can always count on 1% more health and 3% more healing on me, but spending points on dmg buffs limited to crits to one (or 2) specific dps ability (Deadly Cannon talent) seems too narrow to me, especially for a healer. Although, you could talk me into it more if we were going full dps :)

I think a lot of your point comes down to % chance to crit, which we really won't know until we get up there and get the gear. I'm still going to lean heavily on the fact that in PvP healers get focused, so anything I can get to help me knockback, CC, reduce incoming dmg, and thus stay alive longer i'm going to favor.

however if the healing output difference between getting Potent Medicine (and Bacta Infusion too i suppose) and not, is a 40% healing output reduction, rather than say...15%, I absolutely agree that's way too big to ignore.

If we do full into Combat Medic, it still seems to me they're pointing us in the direction of using Charged Bolts as our go-to dps ability. Especially with the ammo saving and dmg increasing talents built around it. (reminds me of casting Exorcism when I had a free dps moment as a Holy Paladin :D)

Maybe something like this 10/31/0 build for a full 31 in the Combat Medic tree. I might move 2 points over to Weapons Calibration if alacrity offers nice haste improvements though.

Thanks for comments Zephic, much appreciated!

Offline eeth

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Trooper-Commando: hybrid Combat Medic, theorycra
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 11:03:02 pm »
*BUMP*

anyone that's playing Commando have any thoughts?

EDIT: decided Steady Aim was a waste as i'll only be DPSing if i can do so free of harassment. thinking of doing this now:

http://www.torhead.com/calculator/skill#800bfRoRdcbkZrckRRb.1

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.