Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: NASA-related Question  (Read 2203 times)

Offline Revalis

• RIFTER
  • Angelic Warrior
  • The Architect
    • View Profile
    • http://revalis.blogspot.com
NASA-related Question
« on: August 19, 2011, 12:06:46 pm »
Hey everyone, we're working on a new project here and part of the last meeting I was in all eyes turned on me to be the "voice of my generation". Admittedly, I was put on the spot a bit, so didn't really have too great of a response, but left with the intention of returning with a better answer.

To that end, these are the questions posed to me:

Who is NASA to you? What's the first thing you think of when NASA is brought up? (Only 'astronauts in space and the moon landing, or exploration and technology?, something else?)

What do people like you (heavy in the tech world, grown up with the web, gamer, age 20s-30s) think of NASA in terms of their reputation and their future.

Do you have a positive or negative impression or NASA?

If your impression is negative, is it directly because of NASA and their policies? Or is it political? What would change your opinion?

Feel free to answer any one or all of the questions. But please be honest, especially if your outlook is in any way negative. Criticism is easier to learn something from. ;)

And thank you ahead of time for feedback!

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
Re: NASA-related Question
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 01:24:30 pm »
Space camp! I did space camp as a kid. I think NASA is great! I associate them with the news articles about discovering new areas of space or looking for signs of things on other planets. Frankly I'm bummed about them cutting the man-driven flights. In terms of finding REAL answers about the origin of man an what "all this" is, their work is invaluable.

Offline Da6onet

• VETERAN ANGEL
  • I shall either find a way or make one.
    • View Profile
    • JPL
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 02:07:36 pm »
I'm going to be biased because my dad works for NASA and I lived a few years on the Moffet Field base.

Who is NASA to you? What's the first thing you think of when NASA is brought up? (Only 'astronauts in space and the moon landing, or exploration and technology?, something else?)

I know that it is a multifaceted organization, with fingers in everything from geology to meteorology to astronomy (but not astrology thank god).  The first thing that comes to mind when I think of NASA is manned space flight missions - the shuttle program and the Apollo program being the most iconic to me. Hubble and pic of the day (http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ ) reveal really cool examples of the mystery and beauty of space, and I find astronomy, having older roots of course, to be sort of the essence of what NASA stands for - asking the question "what is out there?"

What do people like you (heavy in the tech world, grown up with the web, gamer, age 20s-30s) think of NASA in terms of their reputation and their future.
Sadly you can't separate any government arm from politics and bureaucracy. I have always felt that everyone wants NASA to be everything to everyone. Just take a look at the Shuttle program. It's like asking for a cargo truck, an F1 race car, a science lab, a reusable rocket and more all in one platform and then wondering why it's so damn complicated and expensive. That said, every time NASA comes up in conversation with "my" generation there is an air of nobility, excited enthusiasm, a bit of awe and mystery, and in general a fascination with the subject matter NASA deals with in the most idealistic sense. This optimism is inspiring and palpable, bringing out the inner-scientist, philosopher, and explorer in all of us, going further than just asking "what's out there?" to declaring "I want to go there!"

Positive and negative. I feel like NASA stands for exploration, the real world effort of boldly going where no man has gone before, I mean how cool is that?. Negative because I feel like NASA gets bogged down by politicians, funding issues and bureaucracy, but that isn't directed at NASA per se, more a general frustration that politicians and really most of the world wouldn't support an organization like NASA and it's mission because they either don't see it as giving a good return on investment and/or they feel like problems in front of their face (poverty, famine, war) need to be solved first before we go poking around in space. (I'll address these later)

If your impression is negative, is it directly because of NASA and their policies? Or is it political? What would change your opinion?
As I explained in the last paragraph, my negative impressions are due to the politics that drive funding and direction for the organization. It is true it's probably a bad idea to let scientists and engineers run NASA, but it's equally bad to have politicians running NASA. I think fundamentally our generation was heavily influenced by people like Carl Sagan, Gene Rodenberry and in general scientists and science fiction writers alike. The underlying theme being that pure science, curiosity, exploration, pioneering, and pushing outward unifies mankind toward common goals, dissolving selfishness. Problems like poverty, famine, wars, go away in light of a grander, bigger picture. To be honest I'm kind of surprised that NASA has lasted this long. If you look at our planet from the outside, our problems, while real, are seemingly petty and begs the question of "can't we do better than this?" That is the ideal our generation strives for and we see NASA as the tool for this improvement of man kind.

/endramble
If all the world's problems were solved today, what would you have left to do tomorrow?

NEED NEW SIGNATURE, CAN PAY IN THE FORM OF BEER!!!

Offline Manic Velocity

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • Pod Goo & Tonic
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 02:32:10 pm »
Quote from: "Da6onet"
(but not astrology thank god).

Oh, the irony.  :)

This is the way I see it (and this will most definitely wax a bit poetic):

NASA represents humanity's obligation to better itself.  The fact that we are here at all against frightening odds is a testament to our ingenuity as a species.  We've achieved so much in such a short amount of time, and we have every reason to feel a sense of pride.  But it is extremely important that we not allow hubris to get the better of us.  

I think the more we learn about our place in the universe, the more opportunity we have to respect and appreciate it.  We are the only species we know of that has done what we have done.  As far as we can tell, we are the only species since the birth of time that has done what we have done.  We are it.  And yet we spend the majority of our time and energy simply trying not to kill each other.  From an evolutionary standpoint we are still very much in the dark ages.  And NASA, to me, represents the light at the end of that tunnel.

I don't mean to say that NASA as an organization will save us from ourselves.  But the science it conducts, I hope, will one day cause us to stop for two goddamn seconds and say "Wow.  Look how far we've come.  I wonder what would happen if we pushed just a little bit further."

I'm not sure if that's what you were hoping for.  I've focused more on the concept of NASA, than the organization itself.  But really, this is what came to mind when I read the initial questions.

Offline JazzyC

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 02:45:31 pm »
I'm speaking as a foreigner.  Specifially a foreigner from the UK/Europe who couldn't tell you what the European Space Agency gets up to, despite myself having a deep fascination with "space".

Who is NASA to you? What's the first thing you think of when NASA is brought up? The first thing I think of is my first ever holiday to the US, and specfically Florida.  We visited Kennedy space center.  I distinctly remember we drove past the more child orientated aspects purely by accident (I was around 12 years old at the time).  I remember being in awe of the massive rockets/shuttles and control centers when we went on the bus tours.  I think for the next couple of years I wanted to be an astronaut, despite my distinct hatred of science (after being told I had to be really good at physics).  
In a nutshell, and you can read a bit of my feelings into it today, NASA is a childhood dream.

I think an awful lot of what NASA did, and does do, goes unnoticed by the general populace around the world.  When you read those lists of what NASA invented, the mind boggles.  Yet, NASA themselves don't ever really seem to flaunt that fact.  I guess they're the modest geeks who just do what they do and enjoy doing it.  Seemingly just for the hell of being able to do something they love practicing and discovering.
Politics naturally comes into things and has always influenced what NASA does.  Arguably, it was politics that put man on the moon, and it is politics that is keeping man firmly on the ground.  Those great big questions, and giant leaps forward just don't seem to interest those people in power.  I guess, to a degree joe public doesn't care either.  After all, he is too busy worrying about all the stuff the news throws at him about recession, inflation, job cuts and cost of living.
The influence of news also bears weight in regards to the coverage of NASA in the 21st Century.  I realise the past year or so, as the end of manned flights was wrapping up, so a nostalgic and sombre coverage (kind of like end of an era kind of thing).  However, since Columbia I seen very few news reports where they haven't mentioned, or implied, possible issues with space flight.  I guess it is hard to explain, but the News in the 21st Century has had an increasing element of "fear", and I think they influenced the public opinion of NASA.  To the poin people felt the space program should be scrapped?  Unknown, but recent economic issues perhaps added weight to the argument.

NASA as an entity I have a positive impression of.  With the coverage seen in recents years, and the political changes, you can't help but see why there is a negative look toward NASA.  You think of space, planets, comets and all those fantastic pictures and you instinctively think of NASA  Those big mind-altering questions that make you o "WOW" you think of NASA.  People doing what they do for love and passion, you can't help but think of those at NASA.  But, due to the change in global politics and the focus on the individual, NASA has seen a decline.  I can't help but feel sorry for NASA in the past few years since Columbia.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but NASA estimated roughly 2 issues for every 100 flights?  Wasn't Columbia the 83rd manned flight or something?  In the grand scheme of things I think the odds held out at the end (with no fatalities since) but the news coverage neglected to mention this point the majority of the time.
And lets face it, those are pretty good odds given the nature of the job, and what exactly you're having to use to do it.

Offline Amarantus

• Warrior
    • View Profile
NASA-related Question
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 07:40:00 pm »
Q:Who is NASA to you? What's the first thing you think of when NASA is brought up?

A:I'm a huge Sci-Fi geek and NASA to me is our future, whether it is by eventually colonizing another world or just through the achievements in science and technology they produce.

Q:What do people like you (heavy in the tech world, grown up with the web, gamer, age 20s-30s) think of NASA in terms of their reputation and their future.

A:I think their reputation is probably not as great as it once was because you don't really see NASA at the forefront like you did during the space race. However, their reputation is still stellar and even now when they are not at the forefront they are still on the top of every kids list of things they want to do.

As for their future, I am frightened for it. You never hear NASA mentioned when their work helps bring new technology into the mainstream. Now with the government cutting funding and their attempt to go back to the moon.... Le Sigh.... I really do hope they continue to be great and inspire many more generations.

Q:Do you have a positive or negative impression or NASA?

A:My only negative comment that would be connected with NASA is directed at the shitty politics of our government which hinder them.

If I were allowed to choose were my tax dollar got spent NASA would probably be #1 on my list with the biggest chunk of my tax dollar.
I used to think I was perfect. However, thinking ones self perfect is conceit and conceit is a character flaw... I have no character flaws.

Offline Da6onet

• VETERAN ANGEL
  • I shall either find a way or make one.
    • View Profile
    • JPL
NASA-related Question
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 12:54:32 am »
Quote from: "Amarantus"

If I were allowed to choose were my tax dollar got spent NASA would probably be #1 on my list with the biggest chunk of my tax dollar.

I've always wanted an a la carte tax system :-)
If all the world's problems were solved today, what would you have left to do tomorrow?

NEED NEW SIGNATURE, CAN PAY IN THE FORM OF BEER!!!

Offline Revalis

• RIFTER
  • Angelic Warrior
  • The Architect
    • View Profile
    • http://revalis.blogspot.com
NASA-related Question
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 12:31:56 pm »
This is great stuff guys. Thank you very much for the responses. Hopefully it will help NASA know how to better market themselves... Though I think for the most part you're all backing up what I said (thankfully)... That NASA isn't so much going the wrong way, but the politics that drive it certainly aren't helping.

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 322