Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: SWTOR is going Free to Play  (Read 7718 times)

Offline Mharz

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile

Offline Surah

• Meat Shield
    • View Profile
Re: SWTOR is going Free to Play
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 04:52:33 pm »
Yeah, I saw it earlier while at work. Was curious when they'd discuss the elephant in the room. All sorts of speculation floating about, thought it appears subs have dropped somewhere between 1 million and 500k. Quite a large range, but most likely somewhere in the 750k to 850k range. I remember (maybe delusion though) reading an article where EA stated they needed 1 million subs to maintain SWTOR's profits, though some have put the number closer to 500k.

Either way, it's pretty frustrating. The result of launching too soon, and then pulling some key elements after stating they'd be arriving. I still think it could mean good things for the game long term though. F2P more or less saved Age of Conan from being shuttered, and if they can get this "Cartel Coin" system to be worthwhile, they could definitely see an influx of cash. Above all, hopefully F2P paired with content updates would mean a huge surge in subscriptions.

That more than anything could breathe some much needed life into the game and keep EA interested in promoting SWTOR long term.

Offline Mharz

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 05:24:05 pm »
Honestly I'm torn about the F2P model.

To me it really matters very little.  In fact I think they'll end up getting more money from me.  Those Cartel Coins will be a money sink for me.  I see that coming already.  Day 1 I'll buy 10,000 of them and get everything I want.  I won't run dailies unless I have to but I'll work an extra couple hours a week to buy goodies.  Go figure.

I guess the upside is everyone and anyone can level to 50 and get entry level PvE and PvP gear.  The carrot then becomes how competitive do you want to be and if you want to be on the cutting edge you'll have to get a sub.  I have mixed feelings about adding things to the game that enhance performance.  I won't hesitate, not an instant to plunk down $100 to get immunity to stun in warzones... just saying.  Actually I'd pay more than that.

I guess its just wait and see for now and hope BW is smart about how they make the transition.

Offline Zipperqueen

• Meat Shield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 05:24:42 pm »
I REALLY did not want this to happen.  Somehow I get the feeling that the quality of content is going to go seriously downhill.

If it does, I'm unsubbing for sure.
I am the character formerly known as Zipperqueen.

Offline Surah

• Meat Shield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 05:40:19 pm »
I too am often caught by the trap that is the item mall. I don't want to think about how much money I spent in Star Trek Online -_- It can be a good thing for the game, but I really hope it's not game breaking mechanical advantages that you can purchase. I don't think I've heard of a situation where that turned out well for a game. I'm very interested to see how they will sell actual 'content' in terms of missions or whatever. I never really got a chance to see how Funcom did that with Age of Conan, but I'm guessing that Bioware and EA will adopt a similar model.

Bottom line: If the item mall is done right, micro-transactions > subscription money by a large margin I'm betting. So if they get a decent portion of people subscribing still, on top of all the new money coming in from microtransactions, suddenly SWTOR is doing well again.

All I have to do is think back to my last roommate and the hundreds of dollars he dropped on League of Legends It could work for SWTOR, but as you said, we have to wait and see.

Offline Sared

• VETERAN ANGEL
  • Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 06:44:25 pm »
League of Legends, SMITE and Tribes Ascend are the only games that I've played in recent memory with F2P systems in place that I admired. In my opinion, I think they are done very well, and would not mind that sort of functionality being added to the game.

I'll admit, I haven't played a F2P MMO at end-game to really be able to make a judgement call one way or the other. My biggest concern is their continued offerings in the CC store, and that someone in management will be able to finely balance the development dollars going to continue those offerings, and the development dollars going into core development.

As it stands, I want to see more being offered in the CC store than what they've alluded to thus far, then I'll lean a little more on the optimistic side.

Offline ZephixLeer (Zephic)

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 08:23:47 pm »
No access to operations unless you pay 2 play? Ouch.

Personally, were I still a hardcore member of the SW:TOR community, I'd see this as a grab for my own wallet. It's their way of hoping to continue to score pay to play fees from those who already play. I'd see that as a good reason to quit, myself. But I'm also kind of jaded to the MMO market and the constant grab for cash that leads to the death of some of my favorite games. (I'm looking at you SWG. And, I guess any game that forced a sub and pay-for expansion.) Frustrating to see new players who haven't established themselves getting to play free up until they reach operations, while I've paid to play up until that point and receive nothing extra.

Then agian, maybe I've missed something and they'll give current/past subscribers and those who've paid for the boxed/digital download copy something extra?

Anyway, I suppose I should butt out since SW:TOR lost me ages ago. I'm probably too much a negative nancy and the last person who should be trying to contribute to this conversation. lol :P

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 04:43:51 am »
I've always seen F2P as a big fuck you to hardcore gamers, who are competitive enough to sink more and more money into the game, despite already being loyal subscribers. They should have a lot more perks/loyalty gifts or whatever.

Offline Manic Velocity

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • Pod Goo & Tonic
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 10:00:11 am »
Staff layoffs and a steady decline in subs.  Hellen Keller could have seen this coming.  I'm just surprised it happened this soon.

They made the main selling point of the game free (but limited in playable races), which means they really need to work to make the end-game worth the money, and that's not going to be easy with reduced staff.

They're going to be banking hard on that cash shop.  It's a lot cheaper to design a dancing Tauntaun pet or whatever and sell it for $20, than it is to design and balance a new warzone or operation and sell it for $15.

Offline Sared

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 10:51:30 am »
So, apparently Bioware is making a new Ultima MMO. Paranoia setting in, and I can now conclude where money is going to be going.

Fuckers.

Offline Sared

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 11:02:34 am »
Also, after some talking with a friend, I've come to the conclusion that the new F2P model is a good idea for attracting new players. Level characters all you want, get an enjoyable storyline and some PVP action, then pay the 15$ a month for end-game content.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 11:41:05 am »
I go on vacation and the sky starts falling. What'll upset me is if I pay $15/month but still will be expected to buy stuff from the item mall to get the newest gear or nicest perk.

Offline Tecknik

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 12:45:35 pm »
The more I think about this, the more I realize nothing is really changing.

Everyone who was paying $14.99/month to play the game, will continue paying $14.99/month to play the same game we have been for the past however many months.

They're only adding an option for people who can't and/or don't want to pay $14.99/month to still be able to play through the story mode of the game, with limited access to warzones, flashpoints and no access to operations.

I haven't played any F2P games other than DCUO, and from what I'm reading so far, this seems very similar to their F2P option.

Offline NoCry

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 01:35:19 pm »
No big deal in my view.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 12:25:45 am »
It does mean that, even if you are on a subscription, you'll have to use "Cartel coins" to buy certain items. As a subscriber, it looks like you'll be getting a certain number of tokens each month, but still, you won't be able to buy anything and there won't be an option to use credits as far as I can tell.

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 251