Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: A head start  (Read 1694 times)

Anonymous

A head start
« on: January 27, 2009, 02:06:03 pm »
To get a jump on the other loons out there wanting to make a name for them selves, we will probably need to be smart about how and where we start our Clan. At the moment we have no real point we should be all heading to and setting up base. For those in game is it possible to scout out some likely base sites. Pref places that have a close harvest area. We should also get a feel for people’s preference in crafting. Not that it will be set in stone but be good to see the coverage we have. The choices as know right now
Woodworking
Cooking
Armorsmithing
Weaponsmithing
Enchanting
Alchemy
Tailoring
Tinkering
I would be happy with the Armorsmithing thing.
Also if people aren’t interested in crafting, maybe they could help out by harvesting for the crafters while their runnin around.
I’m not a big tradeskiller but I believe it’s going to be a very important part in game early on.

We are also going to need a good grind area. A place where there are a lot of different mobs that we can leech drops, coin and experience from. Any heads up on the basic first quests will be helpful too. If we can get an edge early we can carry it through for a long time. If people see Furious Angels new clan building up long before others have even seen their first orc, it will show that these guys are serious and will attracted a lot of support.

There could be some hard core power plays early in game. I’ve talked to a few people that will be kingdom building very quickly. If we don’t get ready for it we could become just another small clan that will have to fight for the scraps. After a while things will settle down but I want to be settling on the bones of my opponents not on the only spot that no one wants.

Be good to get a direction as to who we will be in game. Are we going to be a land baron type, controlling a set amount of land we expect others around us to respect. Are we going to be raiders? Watching the opposition build something we then take from them? Are we going to be conquerors, deliberately seeking and destroying those that oppose us? Are we going to be the cops that deal out retribution on those we deem as griefers.  If we can get a direction early on it may help us by facing us all in the same direction.

Just a few thoughts for u guys to tear apart

Not in stone just a idea

Jarimus        Woodworker
Brannigan     Armourer

Offline Jarimus

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: A head start
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 02:21:48 pm »
The second I get in-game, I am grabbing an axe and going to chop trees for wood for several hours. I am trying to macro up woodworking and hoard wood ASAP.

Each successful chop yields 1 - a few pieces of timber. 5 Timber = 2 wood. I'm gonna grab like a few hundred pieces of wood before I do anything else.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 02:41:01 pm »
A lot of good suggestions and questions in this post that are worth discussing.

I know we'd like for our base to at least be off the beaten path, but at the same time it will be important to be close to the resources you mentioned.

Also, how aggressive to be with other clan's resources is something I haven't given much thought to. I figured that would take care of itself. I imagine something like

"What the? Did that Goblin just kill me?"
"Oh no wait, this dude from this clan is looting my corpse"
*Adds "this clan" to "Next to Siege" list*

Of course it'll get more complex than that, but you get the idea. I really wish at least one of us could get in there and start taking down notes and locations. Not being in Beta after a lot of these other clans are already in is gonna hurt us a bit in the beginning if we don't make up for it.

Offline Jeyk

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.followtheangel.org
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 03:37:18 pm »
I will look to pick up a tradeskill between Weaponsmithing, Armorsmithing, or Tailoring (everyone needs bigger bags!), and I will certainly spend some time harvesting.

Here's a link with an overview of the crafting skills:
http://www.darkfalldb.com/index.php?view=article&id=98

Offline Runjun

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 04:29:00 pm »
Double edge sword.  Finding and claiming the "best" city site leads to people wanted to take it from you so they can have the "best".  If you and another clan have the same size player base, same dedication, same tactics, but one has a better base.  Who will they go for?  But at the same token will people be raiding the minute the game starts or will things pan out first then the seige begins?  If there is a delay, you have time to build up and acquire people.

My opinion is start small, grow into it then expand when needed.  If we lose the city the lose is minimum compared to trying something larger.  Our recruitment process is going to be slow so filling a void we create when claiming a larger city will be sluggish.  We also don't know what we like, want to do or what it takes (resource wise I mean man hours, money and materials).

Like the shooting motto:  Smooth is fast, fast is smooth.

P.S  I believe there is anti-marco software built in.  If not, I'll be there with you.

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lostlocalhost.com
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 04:52:29 pm »
I'd love for us to have wo bases. A main for public reasons... adn a private in a place way out of the way. Sort of our home away from home.

If it were possible...

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 06:38:14 pm »
Controlling resources is going to be crucial in the long game. If we want to be a player in DF we need to be quick to stake our claim. I like the idea of a public face (visual base) and a clandestine headquarters Fuse. Might be a little down the track but satellite bases for ether easy and safe travel or for influence or ownership of resources could well be on the cards also. I agree Runjun that we really don’t want to place a target on our heads early on. That’s why scouting out undiscovered assets away from the main areas is so important on day one. We may have to be prepared to fight for territory early so I don’t want us to be underprepared.

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 08:49:01 pm »
I like Fuse's idea. A base to look impressive to the public, and one more secluded. If it were me I'd take it a step further (if our available rescources would allow it) and build a super secret third base, preferably high up in the mountains somewhere. This third base would be somewhere no player would have cause to go (a corner of the map, for instance), be better guarded by hired NPCs than the other two, be loaded with supplies, and serve as a fallback point in case our other two come under seige. I realize I've basically said nothing, as this is exactly the point our second base would probably serve assuming it existed, but it's fun to plan ahead, and I wanted to get a word in.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 09:07:32 pm »
Do we know if profit can be made from a clan city? For instance, do we get a percentage if we allow people to use our merchant, workbench, teleport stone, etc? If so, a public city would be essential on top of an HQ for our own use.

Offline Ash

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 09:39:26 pm »
according to what I've read (mainly from the stuff Lik's already posted) "Clan's have no control or profit thereby off any merchant NPC's they create within their city."

Quote from: "Orphaeus"
...This third base would be somewhere no player would have cause to go (a corner of the map, for instance)...

This reminds me of how I would hide the luggables in MxO.

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men"

Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 11:11:56 pm »
Yotogi is right.. .  I know you can build a shop there... but an Npc will run it and we can't change prices , however I have heard rumours about charging for a permit so people can build on your land...

Rumours

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 05:47:02 am »
I wouldn't mind hunting for food/leather armour resources at all. That's if I can afford to play the game, that is :P

Anonymous

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 10:10:21 am »
Getting resoures for our tradeskillers is going to be important, we are going to need armour, weapons and potions. The resoures will need to be protected, as they are going to be slow to regenerate.

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 294