Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: A Fond Farewell  (Read 5182 times)

Offline AstralFire

• Soldier
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theanteheroes.com/
A Fond Farewell
« on: January 07, 2012, 09:12:06 pm »
Hey guys,

I was just going to leave quietly, but Manic asked me to put a post up on the forums to explain my decision, so I am.

First of all, I want to say that I have been very privileged to play with you all, because you have all been wonderful people to spend time with. There is not a person in FA that I know, who I would be unhappy to see in my warzone, operation, or flashpoint. You have - at least to me - acquitted yourselves very well as people and friends.

However, I do not feel that this is the guild for me.

I made the decision to go RP-PvP with some trepidation, but my essential reasoning was that while I had always been able to spark roleplay, I had not often been able to get a group of dedicated PvPers which I could learn from and play with. Judging from the website and initial impressions, I felt that Furious Angels would be the fit for me.

Despite that, what I have seen since launch is a general friendly atmosphere which nevertheless lacks the particular sense of fire which I had been hoping to find. Having spent years on an outnumbered and undermotivated faction which often had to make tactical retreat, I thought that FA would instead be the group in this game which would rarely start fights, but could sure as hell end them. You can take our lives, but you can never take our honor! You can make us respawn, but you can't make us retreat! That sort of thing.

And, I don't know, I'm just not seeing that in practice, and I kinda realized that after what happened the other night on Voss.

I don't think that that is particularly a bad thing, since it seems everyone in guild has a very healthy perspective on game versus life and all that, and I don't necessarily possess that. But it's not what I was looking to find.

I do wish all of you the best, you are welcome to friend me as Phoebe and I will very frequently be willing and cheerful to help, but I think it is time I flew with a different flock.

Offline Baobinga

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundcloud.com/djz
Re: A Fond Farewell
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 09:19:30 pm »
I bid you farewell sir.

My opinion on the matter is that not everyone is max level yet and you are leaving somewhat prematurely. When we're all 50 and there's 30+online (like there always is) we'll all be pvping more I'm sure. World bosses too etc.

Just not enough people in guild at level 50 yet.

Offline Saint

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/saintxxx/Jedi-Archives
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 09:23:05 pm »
Sad to see you leave, its too bad though. Some people like me are not even home from xmas vacation yet.  I think it was premature, but take care.

Offline Trushott

• Meat Shield
    • View Profile
    • http://Www.renshawauto.com
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 09:59:06 pm »
Quote from: "Baobinga"
I bid you farewell sir.

My opinion on the matter is that not everyone is max level yet and you are leaving somewhat prematurely. When we're all 50 and there's 30+online (like there always is) we'll all be pvping more I'm sure. World bosses too etc.

Just not enough people in guild at level 50 yet.

I am fairly new to FA ... just started with the release of SWTOR but I wholeheartedly agree with the above.  I believe you have acted extremely prematurely in your decision.

Many people are going as fast as they can to level 50 to be able to participate in world PvP and join you when its going on... but since the release of the game I have pretty much been parked in PvP channel and have attained level 46 and level 44 Valor in PvP and have had great fun with a lot of new people and am enjoying myself tremendously ... I am just trying to wrap my head around why you left over no pvp when many of us have PvPed together day in and day out for hours in the PvP channel and you rarely particpated :(

as far as world PvP its a brand new game and people are leveling and learning as fast as they can to get to what you envision on the PvP side of things ... i just think you should reconsider your decision becuase im am truely stumped as to your reason of no pvp when so many of us have been in the PvP room gaining valor non stop learning the mechanics of pvp in this game together as a team

anywoo wish you the best if you dont change your mind

regards

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 10:46:01 pm »
Is this a joke? Leaving over a lack of PvP? We've already got a reputation in and out of warzones. I have people PM me all the time based on our PvP. I'm reading this from my phone so maybe I'm just misreading. We have so many people grinding valor to get PvP gear and dominate.

Normally I just say sorry we weren't for you but this has me a bit confused. What happened on Voss?

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lostlocalhost.com
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 10:59:57 pm »
nutshell: Reds came, we cleared them out, we left, he stayed, he wanted us to stay.

It's been less than a month... whatever. Lock or delete this thread and let's get back to playing.

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://omeganerd.com
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 11:00:50 pm »
*blink*

Well, good luck to you man.
"To the darkened skies once more and ever onward."

Offline Da6onet

• VETERAN ANGEL
  • I shall either find a way or make one.
    • View Profile
    • JPL
A Fond Farewell
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 11:57:16 pm »
I know we're supposed to be solemn and respectful and all that any time we lose a member, but I've been drinking, so I'm just going to say...

THAT IS SOME FUNNY SHIT RIGHT THERE!!!!

FA since '05
If all the world's problems were solved today, what would you have left to do tomorrow?

NEED NEW SIGNATURE, CAN PAY IN THE FORM OF BEER!!!

Offline Broin

• Second-in-Command
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 11:57:47 pm »
I came in on the tale end of the story...
Someoen called for help on Voss due to some ganking reds.  
The high level FA members responded and cleared them out
PVP ensued for the next 30 min
With the area pacified the FA members left to do other things.  Not a bad idea so as not to look like gankers
Phoebe / Astral stayed behind and awaited the horde which eventually arrived

My take
FA was called
FA came in
FA took care of business
FA stayed a reasonable amount of time to make sure our statment was clear
FA moved on

Go ahead, make my day.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 12:07:26 am »
It's always been our MO to show up in force, destroy everything in our path, then disappear as quickly as we arrived. Sticking around with our thumbs up our asses for two hours is just a waste of time. If we had lost the fight and given up, then I could understand concern, but if you'd rather stick around in one place and kill one or two lower levels for two hours and claim you're "the man" because of it, then I guess you're making the right decision.

Reading the OP again, it sounds like you're upset because we aren't losing fights and dying over and over. I feel like this is gonna be a decision that's going to come with regret eventually, but it is yours to make. Peace out!

Offline Faiden

• Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 01:45:11 am »
Awww, I'm sad to see you go. I hope you find what you're looking for though. And, I guess I'll see you around.
Like the blade rushing from my hilt, my blood shall never cool.

Offline Ketamininja

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 07:30:21 am »
Hey AF, hope you contniue to enjoy SWTOR in your future ventures!
We are all looking for something in particular to get the maximum enjoyment out of the game... I hope you manage to get that ASAP! Good luck out there [May the Force be with you]!

I'm a total frickin rock star from mars.
C'mon bro, I got tiger blood.

Offline AstralFire

• Soldier
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theanteheroes.com/
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 09:29:34 am »
I don't... really feel like that is a very accurate portrayal of the events that occurred, nor do I really feel that my actions have ever shown me to be in favor of causing grief in unfair fights. I was told that we ultimately pulled out of Voss because we did not want to 'elevate hostilities,' which was a bit of a shocking response to me, especially after I had gone back during our initial withdrawal to keep Anamodiel from being ganked by superior numbers. (I would also like to point out that by the time we attempted our first pull away, we already seemed like gankers to a few people; I spent a while arguing with a few members of Reign who tried to stop the other Sith from ganking me over that. Some misunderstanding will always be inevitable, I think.)

On reflection, it was a response that made sense from a certain point of view; but it is not the attitude that I was hoping to see. At my core, while I enjoy PvP, I do not particularly enjoy World PvP; however, I was very proud of my Furious Angels tag, we had made a very big show of insisting that the planet was now safe for the other Republic there, and I felt that the end result was it looked like us running and not putting a good acquittal of ourselves as relentless defenders when the potential broke out for a guild-versus-guild thing with Reign.

I certainly got to eat a lot of insults from the Imperials who camped me stating exactly those things, especially with regards to the IC comments we had made about how we were defending Republic players there.

I want to emphasize that I understand Anamodiel's point of view (I am sorry for shouting at you that night, by the way, Ana; I sent you my apologies separately. Heat of the moment, pardon), but it is not the response which I was hoping for. You all are some amazing PvPers - Fuse, you in particular have stood out to me in our few matches as having a particular gift at coordinated asskicking - and some great people, and I would also like to take a moment to commend Longboard for having returned and stayed with me in contravention to the rest of the operation that had been assembled, but that night sort of cemented for me general concerns I'd been having about my place in the guild.

I gave it a few days to think it over so that I would not do anything particularly rash, and then I still felt the way I did.

So you see, it's not about the amount of level 50s we have, or about how many warzones we run (because I often did run those alone, Trushott's quite right), or that I wanted to sit there and camp lower level Sith. Please don't insist that it is any of those things.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 01:49:49 pm »
Per his request, I've removed Astral from the roster, but I thought I'd take a moment to use this as an example.

In my opinion, you can debate and discuss the pros and cons to clearing an area and moving on versus sticking around in an area for a set time, but the real issue here is sticking together as a cohesive unit.

The flaw I see in this particular instance is that a decision was made and someone disagreed with that decision. Instead of staying with the group and discussing/asking about the decision later, they broke off from the group and, as a result, made themselves and the guild look bad.

I hate to see anyone go, but if you are the type of person who can't suck it up and go with the group, then honestly we're probably better off in the long run. What we were always known for was being a huge force that was highly organized, which are comments I've already been getting in SWTOR. If someone doesn't follow directions, however, suddenly we do look unorganized and we allow ourselves to become a target to the oppositions teasing. In this case, they blasted Astral with insults because they were bitter from losing and had no one left to take it out on except him. Had he left with the rest of us, they'd be stuck there still feeling the sting and unable to do anything about it.

To play devil's advocate to the situation, there have been plenty of times we have stuck around well past the end of the fight just to get our point across. The big 30v30 in Tatooine we pinned them to their spawn for about 30 minutes. The gankers in Alderaan we pulled out of their spawn to kill them again to get our point across. On another time in Voss we came back at least twice to keep it cleared out when it looked like they were coming back. I've stood at the sand crawler to keep gankers out and let others leap up and then switched instances to clear gankers in a different section in Tatooine.

I'm not concerned about the level of our PvP. I think this was a case of someone getting burned badly when they didn't follow directions. Know that we can't respond to every ganker you run across. We can't spend hours sitting around on one planet at the moment (progression is still a priority). Just know that when we do take action, it's swift and overwhelming. We've got your back, but if you can't be a team player, then you've only got yourself to blame when things don't go your way.

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://omeganerd.com
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 02:06:47 pm »
/thread
"To the darkened skies once more and ever onward."

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024