Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: New SWTOR Impressions  (Read 6313 times)

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
New SWTOR Impressions
« on: November 14, 2011, 04:12:39 pm »
Did you play SWTOR for the first time this past weekend? If so, what did you think?

Offline Strod

• Angelic Fury
    • View Profile
New SWTOR Impressions
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 04:52:23 pm »
I thought the game was done very well and it looks pretty polished. I wish I had a little more time and experienced a little more of the group flash points but even without that it was a great experience.

One thing that did bug me was having to "apply" multiple upgrades to my lightsaber instead of doing it all at once. It could be a minor oversight or be by design however to me it seemed pretty silly to have to open interfaces 2-4 times and click apply the same amount of times aswell.

Furious since 2006.

Offline Manic Velocity

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • Pod Goo & Tonic
New SWTOR Impressions
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 05:31:54 pm »

Offline Strod

• Angelic Fury
    • View Profile
New SWTOR Impressions
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 05:43:10 pm »
Have you finally given up the dream Manic? My jaw dropped once I realized what you had posted. Lol.

Furious since 2006.

Offline Manic Velocity

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • Pod Goo & Tonic
New SWTOR Impressions
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 06:04:59 pm »
"Everything that has a beginning..."

I'll always love MxO.  If it came back in an official capacity, I'd jump back on it in a heartbeat.  But I just have to accept that it's not going to happen.

I had a lot of fun in the few hours I got to play TOR.  There are some things I like, some things I don't, but I can see it being the way forward for us.  Wherever the Furious Angels are, that's where I want to be.

Offline Anamodiel

• Staff
    • View Profile
New SWTOR Impressions
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 06:08:50 pm »
Me when I saw what Manic posted:

...And we will strike down upon those of Darkness, with great vengeance and Furious Anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

Offline Saint

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/saintxxx/Jedi-Archives
New SWTOR Impressions
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 06:10:11 pm »
Rofl, way to go manic!

I actually played for the first time this weekendand although my wife wasnt that happy at not seeing me all weekendI at least I was having a ball. I havent had fun playing a mmo in a long while. I didnt power level or anything, I spent a lot of time figuring out varous parts of the game. I tried my hand at synthweaving which was cool except for a few bugs i had. And although I really wished there was an auto run key, (if there was I couldnt find it) I found myself laughing during the essles flashpoint. Every one in my group was all prim and proper responses and i would say the smart ass comments, which had me going. All in all I cant wait to play for real.

Offline ExternalError

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://n/a
New SWTOR Impressions
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 06:40:19 pm »
auto run = num lock

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://omeganerd.com
New SWTOR Impressions
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 06:40:38 pm »

Quote from: "ManicVelocity"

"To the darkened skies once more and ever onward."

Offline Manic Velocity

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • Pod Goo & Tonic
New SWTOR Impressions
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 07:06:55 pm »
Hehe, I'm glad I'm giving up on MxO.  By continually holding onto it, I've essentially spent the last two years being disappointed for every day that it didn't come back.  That shit gets exhausting.

I played the Smuggler for a few hours before my machine bit the dust.

The smuggler's story is exactly what you would expect.  That can be good or bad, depending.  The main story quests can be rather predictable, but they remain intriguing none the less.  The side quests around Ord Mantell are standard MMO fare set in the SW universe.  When I think about it in the bigger picture it's all nothing new, but it's executed very well.  I was worried that I might not like playing the smuggler, but I'm convinced it's the class for me.

Ranged combat is new for me.  In the beginning I didn't like how I was at my best only when using the cover mechanic, but after a couple hours I got the hang of it.  I was surprised that I was able to take on 5 mobs at once and not take much damage.  I didn't really feel challenged at all.  Especially when I got my first companion, then I was taking out mobs at lightning speed.

Outside of actual gameplay, the user interface bugs the hell out of me.  No scalability at all, and the windows (which can't be repositioned) exhibit a lot of wasted empty space.  It irritated me both from a design standpoint and a convenience standpoint.  I can't think of any other MMO I've played where the UI is so locked down and forced onto the player.  While browsing the beta forums today I've noticed this is a common concern, but Bioware has yet to respond.

All in all, I'm really excited for us to start playing full-force.

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://omeganerd.com
New SWTOR Impressions
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 08:43:51 pm »
>full-force.

I see what you did there.
"To the darkened skies once more and ever onward."

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lostlocalhost.com
New SWTOR Impressions
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 10:27:34 pm »
A couple things...

Quote from: "Saint"
I actually played for the first time this weekendand although my wife wasnt that happy at not seeing me all weekendI at least was having a ball.

I'm in the same boat as you with the wife not being too happy. Hey, FA... She hates you.

Quote from: "Saint"
I found myself laughing during the essles flashpoint. Every one in my group was all prim and proper responses and I would say the smart ass comments, which had me going. All in all I can't wait to play for real.

This was me as well. I vented the air out and killed the folks. I loved my decision, and I loved my teams response.

I played the Smuggler for a few hours before my machine bit the dust.

The smuggler's story is exactly what you would expect.  That can be good or bad, depending.  The main story quests can be rather predictable, but they remain intriguing none the less.  The side quests around Ord Mantell are standard MMO fare set in the SW universe.  When I think about it in the bigger picture it's all nothing new, but it's executed very well.

Well said. Very well executed.

I was worried that I might not like playing the smuggler, but I'm convinced it's the class for me.

We need to get together at launch - I'm going gunslinger with my main.

Ranged combat is new for me.  In the beginning I didn't like how I was at my best only when using the cover mechanic, but after a couple hours I got the hang of it.  I was surprised that I was able to take on 5 mobs at once and not take much damage.  I didn't really feel challenged at all.  Especially when I got my first companion, then I was taking out mobs at lightning speed.

The portable cover lvl2 helped a lot for me...

While I still want a Sage, I think my main will be a gunslinger. The consensus seems to be that this will provide some of the highest DMG available, and not as many people are going this way. It did take some getting use to the cover system, and it is really difficult to manage in PvP, but in higher lvls I think it will balance out. Also, my smart-ass replys fit well with the Smuggler class. Not sure how we'll RP with FA, but I'll figure that out as I go.

I'm pretty impressed witht he game so far, but I keep hearing that each of the classes don't really start to shine until 20-25. This is a bit of a bother, but I'll deal with it.

Offline Eroz

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
New SWTOR Impressions
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 11:31:45 pm »
Got to level 11 with the Smuggler. Enjoyed it greatly, I would have to say the best part of the game is the voice controller quest NPCs, its just makes it awesome to play the quest, and I found myself caring about the quest, rather then just following the waypoints to completion, and closing dialog/quest windows as quickly as possible.

The animations and UI looked good. (I would still prefer customization on the UI just so I can make it more minimal.)

Audio was good, Voice acting was great (I may have to roll a female trooper just to listen to Ms. Hale all day.)

I loved the Smuggler class, although I did kinda pidgin-hole my toon into be Mal Reyolds (from Firefly), answers everything as a smart ass, but always does the right thing, damn the money. Although this weekend I plan on rolling a Trooper class just to get a feel for it.

I wasn't a big fan of the warzone as a Smuggler against a lot of Jedi though. It felt like I could do little other then run around, throw nades, and fire the weaker shots of the blaster, not really getting anything done. That might be due to being level 10 and not understanding all the quarks of playing PvP as a non-force character though, so if someone wants to give a few pointers that would great. And I hate force lighting.

Overall, I am so ready for this to come out now. I was itching all day to get back to play, but alas its another month before that happens.
(I am also ready for a Mass Effect MMO now, although if that ever happened it would be at least 5 years out, if not longer)
"Have you ever tried to dismantle a snowball?" - Linus, Peanut's Gang.

Offline Keeloth

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
New SWTOR Impressions
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 12:53:56 am »

Offline Avzeke (Khr0n1k)

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
New SWTOR Impressions
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 01:03:28 am »
 I didn't really feel challenged at all.  Especially when I got my first companion, then I was taking out mobs at lightning speed.

I actually felt like I was too weak playing as a smuggler until I got a companion and then wiped everyone out. Of course I played a couple months ago so things are balanced and mob density is more balanced as well, im assuming.

Topherous Jedi Sentinel
Artifice, Archaeology, Treasure Hunting

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.