Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Handgun Suggestions...  (Read 10668 times)

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lostlocalhost.com
Handgun Suggestions...
« on: October 25, 2007, 12:33:32 am »
Reread the title. SUGGESTIONS. Not a political debate please.

I am debating between a few different handguns right now. I want a small CCW sized 9mm or .40. Preferably with an accessory rail. Good quality, obviously. Nothing rough on the hands. Here's what I'm looking at.

Taurus Millennium Pro series

Good size. Lower priced than other options. Feels good in my hand. No accessory rail on the 9mm or .40.

Beretta Px4 or Px4 SC.

The Px4 is a good size and feels good in my hand, but the SC looks like a much smaller grip - close to the 9000S (which is too small for me). Supposedly less recoil because of the twisting locking system. Sizable grips, though I think the hashing on them will make my hand hurt while shooting. Pricey.

Springfield XD9 Subcompact (or the 4" compact version)

Great size. Feels good in the hand. Great safety features. Accessory rail.

Ruger SR9

Small size, light, gorgeous. It's new so the pricetag is still over $500. After the initial batch these will be $400. I think I need to get my hands on one.

I have not shot any of these so I am looking for advice/suggestions. I am tempted to get the Beretta because I love a 92FS I shoot, but have kind of fallen in love with the XD series. I think I am liking the Ruger mor than the XD the more I read on it.

Ruger...Springfield....Ruger....Springfield. AHHHHHHH!!!!

Offline NoCry

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Handgun Suggestions...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 08:37:54 am »
but I do think this would be interesting if it went political!

Offline Pirus

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 11:09:36 am »
Who are you planning on taking out?  Broin sending you on a covert mission?

Offline Sared

• VETERAN ANGEL
  • Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 11:50:48 am »
My roommate has this, 'cept with a nickel rail.

Glock > *

Offline Phienyx

• Angelic Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 12:17:50 pm »
Quote from: "Pirus"
Who are you planning on taking out?  Broin sending you on a covert mission?

You never know these days.  Better to have one (and know how to use it) and not need it than need one and not have it (or not know how to use one.)

If I were to get one(and i do plan on it), I'd personally get what I used to use as my service weapon:  The Sig Saur P229 .40.  That is one of the most beautifully firing weapons ever made.  It wasn't too big either. I'm sure it can be set up with an accessory rail, but this is also the same weapon our tactical unit uses.

We're Angels, not saints.

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 12:34:43 pm »
As an Englishman I find the entire concept completely bizarre.  Besides, I prefer to kill with my bare hands.

However, if I had to have a gun, the XD9 does look like a rather nice penis replacement.

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 02:59:58 pm »
Quote from: "Phienyx"

If I were to get one(and I do plan on it), I'd personally get what I used to use as my service weapon:  The Sig Saur P229 .40.  That is one of the most beautifully firing weapons ever made.  It wasn't too big either. I'm sure it can be set up with an accessory rail, but this is also the same weapon our tactical unit uses.

I love Sigs, but i don't want anything >$500. My original idea was something smaller than the P229 as well...Not much, just a pinch.

I really think I'm goign to get that SR9. It's not top o the line, but it looks great, has shown some promising results in tests, looks great, would be easily handeled by the wife (maybe not so good), is 17+1 cap, looks great, is a great size, amazing price for comparable guns ($400 after first 2000) and did I mention it looks great?

But then again, I do LOVE the XD series. FUCK!

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 03:05:09 pm »
BTW, I am looking for a gun for HD and also sport target shooting. I haven't been shooting for almost a year and a half and miss it.
I usually shoot my fathers M9 - Beretta 92FS.

Offline Tecknik

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 03:08:23 pm »
Phienyx has it right.

If you trust your life to anything but a SIG, you're a fool.

Sig has a beautiful range of amazing 9mm and .40 firearms.  I have many friends who are law enforcement officers for various cities or counties in Florida.  As far as I know, all of them trust their lives to only Sig firearms.  They are great to hold, great to fire, and are some of the best firearms I have ever seen.  Take Phienyx's suggestion and definitely look into the P229.  It is available with a tactical rail.  When I was interested in purchasing a handgun, my friend Jordan who is a police officer in Miami-Dade recommended the 9mm P229-DAK with tactical rails.  He told me it is his primary service weapon.

Of course the first thing you should do before purchasing anything, is find a range that allows you to rent all the firearms you're interested in.  Buy a lot of ammo, and put a couple hundred rounds through each.  It'll cost you quite a bit, but it'll give you a chance to really get familiar with each weapon in question.

EDIT: This is why I try not to post from my Sidekick... Missed both of your replies, Fuse.  Nevermind my post. :) I think you should reconsider, though.

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 03:23:23 pm »
Gah, gun specs... I'm like -_-

Personally, I don't believe in guns. If people didn't buy guns there wouldn't be as high a crime rate :/

Saying that though, as they say 'Guns don't kill people, people do,'

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 03:42:00 pm »
Quote from: "Tecknik"
I think you should reconsider, though.

I am.... big time. I have actually always wanted either a Sig 226 or 229. I saw a special edition P229 that was nickel (i think) plated and gorgeous at a gunshow not too long abck that made me want one even more - but price is an issue.

I have pretty much narrowed it down to either the XD sub-compact 3", XD compact 4" ($500 at local store), or that Ruger SR9 when the price drops closer to $400.

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 04:15:28 pm »
Quote from: "Subb"
Gah, gun specs... I'm like -_-

Personally, I don't believe in guns. If people didn't buy guns there wouldn't be as high a crime rate :/

Saying that though, as they say 'Guns don't kill people, people do,'

I said I didn;t want a political debate, but here i go.

Lets assume a few things.
1.A gun can kill someone...like a shovel
2a.Guns are devices to do something and on thier own are a paper weight... like a shovel
2b.A gun needs an outside influence by a person to kill...like a shovel
3.Criminals do bad things and get thier hands on devices to do bad things.
4.They do this even if there are laws against it.
5.Bad people do bad things to good, defensless people
6.Bad people are less inclined to do bad thing to people if they perceive there may eb a threat there.

So considering the above assumptions, if you outlaw weapons, the good, innocent, law-abiding citizens will get rid of/not own guns while the criminals will still obtain them the same way they obtain drugs or illegal weapons now, then use them on the innocent people because they know they will not dare break the law.

Fuck that. Give me CCW. I hate living in Illinois.

Even the government has done studies and tried to prove that outlawing guns lowers crime... guess what, it doesn't. You go to vermont where they have an open carry policy and I gaurentee you won't be mugged.

Offline Tecknik

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 08:02:06 pm »
Quote from: "Fuse"
I think you should reconsider, though.

I am.... big time. I have actually always wanted either a Sig 226 or 229. I saw a special edition P229 that was nickel (I think) plated and gorgeous at a gunshow not too long abck that made me want one even more - but price is an issue.

I have pretty much narrowed it down to either the XD sub-compact 3", XD compact 4" ($500 at local store), or that Ruger SR9 when the price drops closer to $400.

Probably the P229 Elite Stainless. :)
http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=8&productid=198

This is what you need... ;)
http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=8&productid=119

Offline Lits

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 09:42:54 pm »
Desert Eagle, FTW

Be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 10:08:51 pm »

Probably the P229 Elite Stainless. :)

Nope, this was a specialty one. I wish I could tell you more or show you. The plating had a tinge of color to it, but not just one color. Sort of like the car paint that changes the color depending on ow you looked at it, this was similar, but the color was so faint sometimes it looked more like a reflection. Hard to describe.

While I woud absolutly LOVE a Sig, I don't think there any way I'm getting one new for under $500. The 229 DAK are sold at my local gunshop for between 750 and 850. Price is an issue here, guys. =(

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 325