Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Random (read: lame) Computer Issue  (Read 4332 times)

Offline Erathaol

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
Random (read: lame) Computer Issue
« on: April 15, 2009, 01:50:46 am »
So some time last week I tried turning my computer on and nothing happened.  Of course, I was confused and went about doing the normal things to figure out what the problem was.  Power was running through my computer, as the little mobo light was lit,  but it was simply not powering up.

Eventually, I narrowed it down to the actual power switch.  It was broken (what the hell?) and frustratingly near impossible to get to.  I had to disassemble my whole tower just to get to it and find out that it was irreparable.  So I said "screw it" and ordered a new tower online.

This is why I haven't been on Darkfall (if you've even noticed my absence), but I hope to be back on in less than a week!  I'm already starting to go through withdrawals because I can't get my Darkfall fix.  Need... to... gank!

Offline KnightOfZero

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Random (read: lame) Computer Issue
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 02:50:03 am »
I dont want excuses!!!! get yo butt in game!!! lol

nahh.. its kewl we understand you situation
There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  People who understand binary, and people who do not.

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://omeganerd.com
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 10:24:33 am »
You can manually jump the power switch pins on the motherboard with a small flathead screwdriver.

Just locate where the power switch connects to the motherboard and use the tip of a knife or a small screwdriver to "jump" or temporarily connect the two pins.  Once it powers on you're good.
"To the darkened skies once more and ever onward."

Offline Ash

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 01:21:48 pm »
that's right folks, Likwid just told her how to "hot-wire" a computer.

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men"

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 01:24:54 pm »
That criminal! :p

Offline Erathaol

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 01:56:47 pm »
Really now?  I think I'll try that.  But won't I then have to do that every time thereafter?  That could become a major hassle...

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 04:05:46 pm »
yes but as a work around until you get your new switch or case.  You can just take apart an old case and rig a new power button on your computer.

You should test this as well.  Your issue sounds more like a bad power supply than a power switch but that's just guessing.  If "hot wiring" it still won't allow it to power up it's another issue.

Offline Erathaol

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 05:44:25 pm »
I tried your method and got nothing, so I'm also thinking it's a Power Supply issue.  Though, if the Mobo light is on, doesn't that mean that power IS flowing to it?  It could be that I'm getting power, but not enough to turn my computer on.

Acting on some advice I found online (they also suggested the screwdriver jumper trick),I unplugged each part one by one to see if my computer turned on with one of them being disconnected.  I'm still getting absolutely nothing when I press the power button (or use the screwdriver), no lights or fan activity.

The next thing I'm going to try is swapping out my Power Supply, even though any spare I have lying around is inferior to my current one.  Hopefully I'll get at least a little activity with another PS.

EDIT:
I swapped out Power Supplies and sure enough, it powered on.  I was so certain that if the Mobo light was on, then the power was on!  Oh well, at least now I know the solution (and it's an easy one, too).  I'll be back online and back in Darkfall as soon as I can buy a new PS!  Huzzah!
Also, thank you Likwid; you're my hero!

Offline Lithium

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://followtheangel.org
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 06:53:21 pm »
To test a power supply, disconnect all the motherboard connections, then take a paperclip or small wire and connect it to the Green Wire and any Black Wire it sends a start signal and the power supply will turn on.

Works for most power supplies, sometimes you need to connect a fan or drive to a line or else it'll shut off when it detects no load.

Don't believe everything you think.

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 10:53:45 am »
Quote from: "Lithium"
To test a power supply, disconnect all the motherboard connections, then take a paperclip or small wire and connect it to the Green Wire and any Black Wire it sends a start signal and the power supply will turn on.

This too.  heh lith, not many people know that trick.  ;)

Just for all of you, be careful that you don't touch the paperclip when the PS is "hot" and also when it's on make sure the paperclip does not touch anything metal.  Just be careful with this.  Not sure if that "jump" carries any high voltage but I've never tested it.  Better safe than sorry?

Best idea is to take a paperclip, unfold it all the way, and wrap electrical tape around the middle part (the part that won't be shoved inside the PSU connectors.).  That way it's a little more safe.

This isn't hotwiring see, we call this Jerry Rigging.  ;)

Offline Erathaol

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 04:14:07 pm »
Ain't I the luckiest?  I got my new PSU (750W, old one was 500W) today and when I installed it everything seemed to work fine, except now I'm not getting any picture on either of my monitors (I use dual-monitors).  I tried plugging in just one and then the other, and using a different PCI-E connector from my PSU, and still nothing.

When I was initially fiddling around searching for the problem (when my PSU broke), I think perhaps I was a bit rough on my card and actually broke that tiny white handle hat helps it sit securely in the slot.  Do you think I might have damaged my video card and/or the slot on my Mobo?  Unfortunately, I don't have another PCI-E video card lying around to swap in and test that way, so that's not an option unless I just go buy a new card and try it out.

I'm hoping one of you techies that know far more about computers than me can help me out.  I need Darkfall!

EDIT:  Nevermind, all is well.  I was stupid and didn't connect the ATX 12V 4-pin to my Mobo...  so now my computer is working and I can rejoin you all in Darkfall!  Oh, frabjous day!
On a side note, with my new PSU installed, my computer is saying my CPU fan is running too slow.  Is this because my PSU is massive for my computer and is shooting too much power?  Also, is there a way to simply dial up the fan speed myself so I don't get that annoying beeping?  My computer's still running at a constant 50 degrees C so I don't think it's too much of a problem...

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 06:12:21 pm »
It may be clogged up with dust.  Try blowing it out with a can of air..  If it still does not improve you may need to purchase a new CPU Heatsink/fan combo.

Keep a close eye on your CPU temp.  You don't want to overheat.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 09:05:47 pm »
Quote from: "Lithium"

Works for most power supplies, sometimes you need to connect a fan or drive to a line or else it'll shut off when it detects no load.

That's right folks; Lithium just told her how to turn her computer into a bomb.

(On an unrelated note, I guess I missed the part where Erathaol is female. Here's your stick to keep the boys at bay. You might need it around here!)

Offline KnightOfZero

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 09:17:35 pm »
Wait erathaol is female? i couldve sworn that erathoal was male... but then again.. i could have heard wrong like Tbone did... not that i have anything against females in the guild, i think it's great and actually need more female players... its just that i could have sworn you were male
There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  People who understand binary, and people who do not.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 12:12:41 am »
Maybe Yotogi was just mistaken. I dunno!

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 129