[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Poll

What kind of server should we play on for Rust?

Stay on the current server that was wiped.
0 (0%)
Move to a vanilla (no mods) server.
4 (57.1%)
Move to another Rust++ server (modded).
1 (14.3%)
Buy our own server.
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Rust Server Poll  (Read 3334 times)

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
Rust Server Poll
« on: February 07, 2014, 11:50:47 am »
There are other options to discuss too:

Sleepers? No sleepers?
Lockpick? No lockpick?
Normal craft time?

And I think there are a few other options that servers can toggle on and off.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 01:59:30 pm by Tbone »

Offline Zero

• RIFTER
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Rust Server Poll
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 02:19:26 pm »
My concern with getting our own server is that out of the over 2,400 servers I'm looking at right now, over half of them are completely empty.  Another 15 pages only have 1 person in them.  Only the first 2 pages have anything more than 10 people online.  I know it's probably not prime time right now, but I'm just worried that we'll buy a server that will only have us on it. woo....  I personally would like to be in a server that has maybe 30-50 people on usually.  I've been in one that averaged 90+ and one that averaged 15-25.  90+ was too much, but in the last server, it felt like we had the whole south side of the map to ourselves for the most part (which is good and bad, haha).  Like you said Tbone, I also worry that being admin may ruin the experience a little bit, even if we don't abuse the admin powers.

As far as modded, sleepers, etc.  I like sleepers.  Otherwise it'd be too easy to log off with all your valuables and be worry free, right?  Locked packs: I would prefer no lock, though I could see the interest in locked packs as well.  I also like halfcraft, it's not really any fun sitting there waiting for stuff to craft.  And Rust++, I like it, but I like vanilla too.  Being able to see who's online, share doors, and check your location are not terribly game breaking to me.  Even the starter kit is not a HUGE deal, just kinda a nice convenience.

There's my 2 cents.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 03:45:55 pm »
My concern with getting our own server is that out of the over 2,400 servers I'm looking at right now, over half of them are completely empty.  Another 15 pages only have 1 person in them.  Only the first 2 pages have anything more than 10 people online.
Very good point.

Offline Erathaol

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 04:27:36 pm »
My ideal server would have sleepers, door share, and very little else.  Most of the added features of Rust++ are so minor I could take them or leave them.  The only feature I despise is the kill messages in chat.

I'm neutral on crafting times; I can see the pros and cons for both.  The servers that mod the frequency of military guns and C4 are also something to keep in mind, though again I personally don't care either way.

I would also like a server around 50 people.  At this point in Alpha, the devs haven't quite solved the massive lag from large concentrations of structures in a single area, so massive servers would lag too much right now.

The server we were on averaged 15-20 people, with around 30 being the most I ever saw online at once.  If we can find a server with roughly double the population, that'd be perfect.

EDIT:
Additionally, I'd prefer a server that has been recently wiped.  Going in as the newcomers to an established server is fine and all, but everyone starting fresh at relatively the same time sounds very exciting.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 04:54:12 pm by Erathaol »

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 05:58:19 pm »
My ideal server would have sleepers, door share, and very little else.  Most of the added features of Rust++ are so minor I could take them or leave them.  The only feature I despise is the kill messages in chat.
Yeah, I found I kinda preferred not having a /player list and not seeing when someone is killed. I feel like I can be more stealthy and at the same time there's a greater risk to everything. I did miss the /pm feature, though.

I'm neutral on crafting times; I can see the pros and cons for both.  The servers that mod the frequency of military guns and C4 are also something to keep in mind, though again I personally don't care either way.
How does that work? I don't like the idea of admins deleting items or cutting off supply. It feels like there'd be too large a gap between the "haves" and the "have nots".

EDIT:
Additionally, I'd prefer a server that has been recently wiped.  Going in as the newcomers to an established server is fine and all, but everyone starting fresh at relatively the same time sounds very exciting.
I'm kinda torn here. If a server has been recently wiped, that means it will be wiped again. If a patch mandates it, then fine, but I don't like the idea of having weeks/months of work wiped because an admin gets bored.

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://omeganerd.com
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 07:09:23 pm »
I vote pure vanilla with sleepers no lock pick bag lock crap. At the most door share. But pass code locks are fine.

Sleepers are default right? Or is that added in?
"To the darkened skies once more and ever onward."

Offline Mushrumz

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 08:24:01 pm »
How does that work? I don't like the idea of admins deleting items or cutting off supply. It feels like there'd be too large a gap between the "haves" and the "have nots".

This usually works by not allowing certain things to be crafted. Generally this is used for C4 or explosives being uncraftable.

I honestly don't care what kind of server is chosen. That being said, there are some things to consider.

1. Death Messages
As annoying as death messages are, it allows the admins to see what is happening easier. For example, if 5 people are all killed by the same person in a row, that's a simple red flag that there may be a hacker, as opposed to simply having to take peoples words for it that a certain person may or may not be hacking.

TL;DR - kill messages help deter hackers.

2. No wipes
No wipes means that large portions of the server may be full of decaying / inactive bases. It makes it hard to find a place to set up shop. Also you have to contend with a lot of people (like me) running around in kevlar killing all your gatherers.

3. What is standard?
    Standard Servers
    • Sleepers
    • Door Codes
    • No locked packs (but can be toggled on by admin)

Mods
    • Personal messages
    • Door share
    • Suicide in console
    • Ability to see players on the server
    • Starter kits

Renting a server
  • Zero raises a good point about trying to get the server populated
  • It would put you guys in charge of doing all the adminy stuff on the server, fixing peoples shit, trying to regulate people doing fucked up stuff, listening to people bitch and moan about such and such. Ew. In addition to this, if you end up helping someone do some adminy stuff (fixing a base or whatnot), it becomes super questionable to raid that base later, whether you had found it legitimately before hand or not.

5. The things I would like
  • Server that averages a population of about 30-40
  • The two most useful mods I think are PM and door share
  • Playing on a server that's primarily east coast would be good if that's where the majority of you are, just to allow more chance of us actually having people on when we're under attack.
  • If there are servers that are english only that would be amazing. (I'm korean and I don't have anything against asians, but a lot of the asians on these servers seem to be pretty shady... )
  • I would prefer to be on a server that was recently wiped
  • Lastly, I am totally OK with staying on the server we were on. At least we know the admins are active and relatively helpful. I also think the population on our server was pretty decent most of the time.

Offline Zero

• RIFTER
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 11:50:14 pm »
So I have found a server.  I think from just this one screenshot, we will all agree that this is the server for us.

Offline Zero

• RIFTER
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 11:51:47 pm »
But seriously, here's the list of commands available in this server.  [US East] Wastlands.  Sleeper, PVP, has like 40ish people on.  I scoped out where our previous metal base was, and the spot is available, although someone did chase me down and shoot me dead there...

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 335