Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Keybinds! Share your thoughts...  (Read 5594 times)

Offline Phyroxis

• Meat Shield
    • View Profile
Re: Keybinds! Share your thoughts...
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 12:47:41 pm »
Quote from: "Mika"
So many people swearing by the naga - which is cool.

You won't ever find someone who's tried both rate the naga over the steelseries cata mouse though.

I'd believe it. I love my Reaper's Edge (though.. the RMB is starting to give it up). I've been scouring the SteelSeries site for my next mouse. I'd go with the Cata, but I want something WoW branded. I don't play WoW, never have.

Then again, I've got my Merc Stealth, so maybe I'll just stick with a simple-er mouse and let my keyboard do the work.

Phyro
Phyro

Offline Mika

• Meat Shield
    • View Profile
    • http://hybridesigns.com
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011, 02:20:00 pm »
I wonder how hard it would be to get rid of the small wow logo which is the only thing branding it a "wow" mouse.  It's really a mouse for anyone who could use a few more buttons <(^.^<) not just wow players.

NOTICE: I am adding a disclaimer to every post I've made 'praising' the Steelseries Cata mouse.  I made these posts prior to configuring (or attempting to configure) the mouse for SWTOR.  I am having trouble finding a reliable key-mapping setup and may be forced to resort back to my Naga if I cannot find a solution. I am very sad.
PRODIGY STARBLASTER - 50 / VANGUARD / VELOX ORDER

Offline Phyroxis

• Meat Shield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 08:26:29 pm »
I wonder how hard it would be to get rid of the small wow logo which is the only thing branding it a "wow" mouse.  It's really a mouse for anyone who could use a few more buttons <(^.^<) not just wow players.

True. I could make due with it.. but not if I have to pay $100. If it were cheaper I'd have no problem throwing a sticker over the branding or something.

EDIT: Lookin' at it.. the plain WoW one is $50. Eh... Give me a week and we'll see how I'm feelin' about a new mouse.
Phyro

Offline Saint

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/saintxxx/Jedi-Archives
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2011, 08:44:01 pm »
Quote from: "Phyroxis"

You won't ever find someone who's tried both rate the naga over the steelseries cata mouse though.

I'd believe it. I love my Reaper's Edge (though.. the RMB is starting to give it up). I've been scouring the SteelSeries site for my next mouse. I'd go with the Cata, but I want something WoW branded. I don't play WoW, never have.

Then again, I've got my Merc Stealth, so maybe I'll just stick with a simple-er mouse and let my keyboard do the work.

Phyro

Why do you want something Wow branded?  or was that a mistype?

Offline Ratio

• Meat Shield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 02:14:39 pm »

Meh. I have big hands. Long fingers. I can easily play an octave + 3 on a standard keyboard.

That being said, The Naga is too small and the steelseries cata is just too big.

Too small > too big.

If you like the size of a naga, you'd hate the cata.

As far as functionality goes, the steelseries macro software (and you have to use macros for standard key presses outside of WoW) is shit. I mean fucking terrible. If you assign say, the "1" key to one of its buttons and you're click happy, it behaves like a keyboard and puts the input into a buffer with delays. To wit: it will keep spamming 1 for you long after you stopped pressing the button. Even if you press another button. This is terrible behavior for mouse software -- but it is a software issue so it can be fixed. You can remove the delay from single keypresses, but you can't remove (or edit!) the delay on a multi-key macro -- except to send everything simultaneously. So if that'd work for you... I guess you can ignore the preceding.

A big plus is that it has a ring finger / pinky button (depending on how you hold a mouse.) I hate having nothing to do with one of my fingers, and the naga is full of fail on that one point. The naga's mouse4 and mouse5 buttons are also horribly placed.

The naga's buttons feel better than the cata, too. The cata's buttons feel mushy to me.

What I really want is a naga inside the body of a g700 with a right side button.

If I had to choose between a naga and the cata mouse, I'd take the naga. If someone asked me which were better for most people, I'd say the naga. If the cata mouse had the naga software, I'd be more neutral, but it doesn't and I don't play WoW anymore.

Offline Ratio

• Meat Shield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2011, 02:19:52 pm »
And on topic, ESDF > WASD. Shifting everything over to the right gives you significantly more keys around your ring finger.

Offline Phyroxis

• Meat Shield
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2012, 11:11:00 pm »
Quote from: "Saint"
Quote from: "Phyroxis"

Phyro

Why do you want something Wow branded?  or was that a mistype?

Oops, missing a "don't". The Cata mouse is WoW branded. I don't want WoW branding on a mouse if I'm payin $100 for it.
Phyro

Offline Mika

• Meat Shield
    • View Profile
    • http://hybridesigns.com
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 09:50:22 am »
Quote from: "Ratio"

As far as functionality goes, the steelseries macro software (and you have to use macros for standard key presses outside of WoW) is shit. I mean fucking terrible. If you assign say, the "1" key to one of its buttons and you're click happy, it behaves like a keyboard and puts the input into a buffer with delays. To wit: it will keep spamming 1 for you long after you stopped pressing the button. Even if you press another button. This is terrible behavior for mouse software -- but it is a software issue so it can be fixed. You can remove the delay from single keypresses, but you can't remove (or edit!) the delay on a multi-key macro -- except to send everything simultaneously. So if that'd work for you... I guess you can ignore the preceding.

^This I just discovered this weekend is 100% true, and because of this I'm rescinding my recommendation for this mouse =(

The naga's mouse4 and mouse5 buttons are also horribly placed.

This is the main reason I stopped using the Naga - those are my most often used mouse buttons and I had to click them with my index finger (as opposed to my thumb).

The naga's buttons feel better than the cata, too. The cata's buttons feel mushy to me.

Weird, I think the Naga's buttons are mushy and the Cata's buttons are crisp, and distinct.

If I had to choose between a naga and the cata mouse, I'd take the naga. If someone asked me which were better for most people, I'd say the naga. If the cata mouse had the naga software, I'd be more neutral, but it doesn't and I don't play WoW anymore.

I'm now neutral due to the cata's terrible software functionality mentioned above. =(

/retreats
PRODIGY STARBLASTER - 50 / VANGUARD / VELOX ORDER

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://omeganerd.com
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 11:11:45 am »
Naga wins.  Flawless victory.  

"To the darkened skies once more and ever onward."

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 11:17:09 am »
To be fair, I hate the placement of mouse button 4 and 5... that said, I never use them as I have 15 other buttons to use.  heh.

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lostlocalhost.com
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2012, 02:26:22 pm »
Well... I just got a $500 bonus award at work, so looks like I'll TRY the naga.

Offline JP

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2012, 08:30:15 pm »
MB5 is throw huttball, MB4 is throw grenades that eethy has yet to make me /tapfoot
The artist formerly known as Tr4ce...

Offline Mharz

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 08:14:09 am »
Open question here about something I'm considering.

I have a mouse with macro programmable buttons with a large limit on keystrokes.  I can also use a press and hold to repeat (spam) the command at a very high rate.  Would it be worth it to build a few ability que macros?

Discuss.

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2012, 06:21:56 pm »
Which mouse specifically?

Offline Mharz

• Angelic Wrath