Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: EVERYONE READ (Quitters Never Win, Winners Never Quit)  (Read 6494 times)

Offline Broin

• Second-in-Command
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
EVERYONE READ (Quitters Never Win, Winners Never Quit)
« on: March 01, 2011, 06:42:25 pm »
Alright I've noticed something over the past few months that I'm not to pleased with.  Examples have popped up in several different games be it  Battlefield or Champions or what have you, but the clearest example is what I have seen happen in League of Legend games that I've played with some of you.

And this has happened with both new members and some of our older members.

When you think the game has turned, when you think you have lost the advantage, when you think that you are falling behind, when you think you can't catch up.... So many of you choose to surrender.  To give up. To quit.

I'm going to tell everyone this right now.  There is not quit in FA.  There is no give up.  There is no surrender.  It pisses me off to see it, and not only do I not like it.  I won't accept it.  

The game style in this faction is not one of when things get hard you give up.  The game style is when things get hard and you think you're getting spanked then you grab a fucking belt  pull your pants up from around your ankles and strap it on.

Those who fall the furthest down, who look to be gonners, but who come back and return from the brink to succeed are the ones who will be remembered.  They will be the ones that stories are told about.  They will be the ones who are feared.  The ones that make others say "Oh Shit FA is here."

I can't count the number of times when it was just me and T and we took on and took out teams of 6 and 7 and 8.  Two against the odds, and more often than not we'd come out on top.  I can't count the number of times when there was a group of 6-10 FA going up against 20 plus REDS and coming out on top.  

There is not quit in FA, and there damn sure ain't no quit in my Order.  If you are in the Emeritus you damn well better get ready to stay and fight till the bitter end.  I pride myself on staying till the last of making sure others get out.  Namely the boss and his flag ship.  I don't care what your class is, healer / DPS / crowd control.  When the shit hits the fan your standing ground and making sure others get out or that we all make it through.  PERIOD.

So for those who are new read this well and mark it well, because when the time comes we are going to work as a unit and take on the odds.  And there will be odds against us and you will get pissed about them, and you'll want to lash out sometimes.  But in FA we don't do that we suck it up and push through.  

For those who have been here awhile.  Wake up and remember what it is we do.

Go ahead, make my day.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
Re: EVERYONE READ
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 07:00:10 pm »
This is an aspect of our playstyle that I think is important for new members to realize and old members to remember.

Originally, before MxO was even out, FA was known for the challenge and our cryptic talk and roleplay. But THIS is how we really got our name in PvP. We traveled as a pack and had a "no man left behind" mentality. If we found a group of enemies, we were attacking, even if we were outnumbered. Even if we initially got defeated, we came right back and would pick people off or play strategically. Our PvP sessions would last for hours until the other side would start to fade.

It wasn't just MxO. In our brief time in Darkfall, we fought tooth and nail to get a Hamlet (a smaller city). We were constantly ganked at that hamlet (our numbers were very low compared to the other guilds that held territory) and yet we never joined an alliance for protection. We never sold off our hamlet. We fought tooth and nail for that piece of shit even when we really got no returns from it.

I remember the first siege waged against our hamlet. We had absolutely no chance against the enemy, which was comprised of a large alliance of several guilds coming to roll us over. At the last minute I got a message from an enemy of that alliance. "If you can hold them until we get there, we'll help you fend them off". We didn't ask for the help, but the enemy of my enemy is my friend. So there we were, running around fighting these guys who were waaaay higher level and way higher geared than us. We maybe had 10% health left on our hamlet when the calvary arrived and we ended up keeping the hamlet for another couple of weeks. I could have just said "Don't bother coming, dude. We're screwed".

Our resilience is something we're known for. In MxO it made us the greatest PvP threat of the game. In Darkfall it got us the reputation of the scrappy underdogs who, despite being practically the ONLY GUILD with territory who hadn't sold out to an alliance, still had possession of a city.

In SWTOR we probably won't be the biggest guild. And we'll have enemies who will have us in numbers. But even if we're nothing more than a fly in their face, we're going to be that really annoying fly that you can never seem to get rid of.

Broin is right in that you should begin to get used to that mentality now, even while playing other games. Bad habits die hard!

Offline Erathaol

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 07:43:45 pm »
I certainly can't speak for the others, but as far as League of Legends goes I literally never looked at it this way.
I mean, in other games I hold this same "never give up" mentality, but in LoL it always seemed to me a courtesy to the other team when overwhelmed by superior opponents.  I always viewed LoL as less a battle and more a sport, where some have the skunk rule where the game is over when one team has a certain massive lead on the other.

I too remember fighting in that siege in Darkfall; I lost nearly everything I owned in that battle, charging over and over again into the mass of enemies, each one of which could whoop me in a 1v1 fight.  Even though we got our asses kicked, I had tons of fun and we earned the respect of the foremost "mercenary" clan in the game (they were the ones who came to our rescue).  Out of everything in Darkfall, I remember that siege most clearly.

You're right Broin, I (and the rest of us) should view each and every League of Legends match, and every other game we play, as a pitched battle with our team representing the Furious Angels.
From now on, I'll be clicking "No" when the inevitable surrender vote comes up in LoL, and I urge you all to do the same.

Offline Ghisteslwchlohm

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 07:52:39 pm »
I apologize for not understanding. Since I am new I didn't have as good idea on how we as a group view defeat versus perseverance. From now on I will shape up and not run away from defeat.

Offline victoriah

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whatkristinalikes.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 09:35:46 pm »
I didn't resign when Tbone was beating the crap out of me on Words with Friends with 400+ points   ;)

Offline JazzyC

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 11:14:06 am »
While I kind of expected this from FA, it is really refreshing to hear that is what is expected.

I'm sure Wind and Ex can think up a few examples of people who quit when the odds were against them (usually in a fit of rage too).  

At the end of the day, I like to be the thorn in their side that means they can't rest and constantly have to keep and eye out until the end truly has arrived.
They won't be beating me with pure strength in numbers.

Offline Manic Velocity

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • Pod Goo & Tonic
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 03:18:56 pm »
It's all about resilience.

During our glory days in MxO, we definitely had the numbers over a lot of other factions.  But as people left the game, and subsequently left FA, it was easy to get discouraged when we would get outnumbered 3-to-1.  Sometimes more than that.  I remember one time in particular, 7 FA went up against 20+ reds and came out on top.  It wasn't easy, but it felt damn good when we finally looked around and said "Where'd they all go?"

But we never left the battlefield until we owned it.  Sometimes it was quick (FA Pain Train!), sometimes a fight could go on for two or three hours.  But we did our job and we did it well against the odds.  While we received our share of hatred and petty trashtalk from a few, there were many more who regarded us as respected rivals.

Quitting only makes the win that much sweeter for the victor.

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://omeganerd.com
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 05:54:39 pm »
/slowcap
"To the darkened skies once more and ever onward."

Offline Ragnarok

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 05:58:42 pm »
I have to agree with Broin completely. Quitting just sweetens the win for the victor, trust me on this making people rage quit feels pretty darn good.

I can remember times in DAOC & WAR that I randomly grouped with people in pvp and these people would run away once our numbers got thin. Unlike these cowards I would stay and hold the objective to get the meager amount of points I could for my team until I was overwhelmed. Now nine times out of ten I would die due to the enemy having superior numbers(1 vs. 14+), but I knew that I could at least take some of them with me. This would give my team the points they needed to stay in the fight or enough time to regroup.

What is death in a video game? A stat? A short walk back to combat? A small amount of in-game currency? Clicking the respawn button?  The truth is their is no death in video games, when all you have to do is click a button, shell out some coins, or wait to be revived. Now yes I know their is "death", but why are people so afraid of it when its not permanent?

I will gladly stand on the front lines with FA whether we win or get our asses handed to us on a silver platter, though I seriously doubt the latter. Truth is I would rather die trying rather than not have tried at all, so I will be there until the fighting done.  This is a serious gut check for some of our members it seems. For them I will say this: Either man up or get left behind!

So long as I breathe, I live. So long as I live, I fight. So long as I fight, I triumph!

Offline Da6onet

• VETERAN ANGEL
  • I shall either find a way or make one.
    • View Profile
    • JPL
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 06:33:21 pm »
I would also like to add that what usually gets us through "hopeless" situations is encouragement, leadership and overall positive team building. This means not feeding off the frustration of others, and when you are feeling like all hope is lost, explain a problem you're having or ask for help/directions on what to do, chances are someone else can either give you a useful pointer or you point out something they weren't aware of before (like a tank on the right side that keeps killing you). Then you and the rest of the team can begin to work on that problem (like tracing the tank and/or a coordinated uav/rpg strike).

I will point out that LoL can be a bad example to draw from for two reasons.
1. Going into a game without a full premade team means you'll have to be relying on someone who may or may not communicate with you and may or may not be a team player.
2. If your group's objective is IP farming, a fantastic comeback takes longer than two surrenders. Again, just know what your goals are as a group.
If all the world's problems were solved today, what would you have left to do tomorrow?

NEED NEW SIGNATURE, CAN PAY IN THE FORM OF BEER!!!

Offline eeth

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 07:53:29 pm »
i've been guilty of "yelling" at people to "GTFO of my Battleground" when they say shit like "just let them win."

glad to see i joined the right crew.

"Uh oh, am I...am I crashing? There's too much dancing!"

Offline JP

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 10:17:51 pm »
Quote from: "eeth"
I've been guilty of "yelling" at people to "GTFO of my Battleground" when they say shit like "just let them win."

glad to see I joined the right crew.

Its true, he forgets they can't hear him thru teamspeak, can be very humorous at times.

on a serious note, share the same sentiment as Eeth, but this is mostly what I've expected from your MxO rep.
The artist formerly known as Tr4ce...

Offline Arawn

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 11:55:09 pm »
Ok... im gonna go ahead and think that as "quit" you mean either a) stop pvping or b) log out... As the PvP Hard Core Whores FA have the reputation as from MxO, I will take it that you guys actually rethink your strategy mid-battle and kite when needed... Personally I usually play ranged classes so I sure as hell kite and pwn... Lets take my old days at DAoC for example... I played scout and sorc... now take in mind that Archers and Casters cant shoot/cast when taking melee dmg as it interupts them, so im sure as hell kited melees because im not gonna stand there doing nothing while getting faceraped...

Now for SWTOR im gonna be playing Jedi Guardian so I wont be having those problems but what I expect is that if the situation gets out of control, we kite, maybe make a run for it, get ready to go at it again, go after them... hopefully pick up the ones that stray and gank the others... I really dont like dying and giving the enemy free points, but im not really the first one to run. Either we all run, or we die killing the ones we can.

TL;DR?

I dont think of running away as quitting, I call it strategy.

If I had the source code... Life would be easier.

Offline Heironymus

• Angelic Fury
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/Inner_Fatman
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 10:20:59 pm »
hey.. old guys.. remember in Shirikumo when we got challenged to hold the Dojo against what must have been at least 30 reds if not more.. I think we only had like 12-15 guys.. we held that damn dojo for an hour.. ALL the reds gave up.. they said.. ok.. let us hold it and you try to take it over.. and we did.. didnt even take more than 10 minutes to take that damn dojo from them.. I wish someone had the screenshots still..

Offline Da6onet

• VETERAN ANGEL
  • I shall either find a way or make one.
    • View Profile
    • JPL
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 10:29:44 pm »
Tonight in an epic game of LoL we showed what tenacity can bring to the table.

Never give up, never surrender!
If all the world's problems were solved today, what would you have left to do tomorrow?

NEED NEW SIGNATURE, CAN PAY IN THE FORM OF BEER!!!

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 308