Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: WHAT'S IN A NAME....  (Read 11415 times)

Offline Broin

• Second-in-Command
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
WHAT'S IN A NAME....
« on: July 27, 2004, 08:07:04 pm »
What's in a name...?  When we sign our name or post a message in our name what is the significance?  The signature of a name to a document or contract,  is like the extension of a hand offered in acknowledgment. A handshake, saying this is who I am.  It is the extension of the self.  A name is the essence of who we are and will always be.  

With that said how did you come up with the name you will be using in the MXO?  What significance does it hold for you?  And what does or should it tell someone about you?

Broin

Go ahead, make my day.

Anonymous

WHAT'S IN A NAME....
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 08:28:39 pm »
'kairos' is the greek word for time, but not jus time.  More along the lines of "In His time" - 'His' being God's.  Not pushing my beliefs, just answering the question (but I love the chance for a good God plug!)

Offline Eroz

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
WHAT'S IN A NAME....
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 08:36:00 pm »
:mrgreen: A few of the original members know it. A few more have guessed it. Finding what the name is is part of my story.
"Have you ever tried to dismantle a snowball?" - Linus, Peanut's Gang.

Anonymous

WHAT'S IN A NAME....
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 08:47:51 pm »
Yeah, Eroz's name story is rather interesting.  As for mine, it's a biblical reference.  It is the spanish translation of Enoch, although it should still be pronounced in english.

For those that don't know Enoch was said to be a friend of God, and always had divine support.  When he was about to die, God decided that he did not want his friend to suffer the pains  of death, so in an instant, Enoch just seized to exist.  He didn't die and disintegrate, he just disspeared of the face of the universe.

The way I see it, he never technically died.  I suppose my character Enoc is a religious man that feels he has divine support in his efforts against the machines.  What may seem like carelessness or cockiness, is just a confidence that a higher power is taking care of him, and that he too will never die.

EDIT: Sorry for the long post, but I've thought this through a lot.  It helps me stay in character when necessary.

Anonymous

WHAT'S IN A NAME....
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 10:19:45 pm »
Lol Enoc, cool. Actually, I tend to believe, or I have the "confidence" to say that I know that actually God took Enoc up into heaven. He was very clsoe to God, and you know that Enoc did go to heaven, like Elijah, because at the end of the bible (Revelations) the two come back as the two men at the wailing wall. For every man there is an appointed time to die, and they both have too....so it's going to happen then.

Sorry for the bible lesson guys. As for my name, Eclipse, I chose it for a rather simple reason, not to be off-putting but since an Eclipse is black, and so am I, I just thought it would be a fitting name. But now that I've had it for a while, it does have a more of a significane.

Eclipses have alot to hide, usually hiding something with great power and intensity, and when an Eclipse occurs, it covers everything in darkness...it's power seems to be absolute. And that is what my name is sort of like. I'm not going to be deterred by anyone in my quest to do what I think needs to be done, and I like to consider myself thoughtful, creative, and with some level of inteligence. Many people have been inspired by Eclipses, and I too hope to inspire people.

Anonymous

WHAT'S IN A NAME....
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 05:14:27 am »
Well my name that i use for other games facup has special meaning to me albeit a very harsh one on my part. But Quantum is just like Quantum physics, it sounds good so I choose it, has no real significance to me.

Anonymous

WHAT'S IN A NAME....
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004, 06:24:42 am »
Mine sounded angelic to me, but I found out recently that he/she is one of the norse gods.  I have wanted to change it though, to Dose or perhaps Overdose.  If I do you will see the significance when you read my Bio, when I do it of course.

Anonymous

WHAT'S IN A NAME....
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 06:50:24 am »
Erebus is one of the seven circles of hell in mythology, the barren one with banshees in it.

Anonymous

WHAT'S IN A NAME....
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004, 07:54:47 am »
oooo yay for bible stories!!! :D

unfortunately my name is not biblical at all. since my "real" name translates to "pure"--which i am--i figured my "alter ego, so to speak, should reflect the opposite when in fact meaning the same. people have been calling me "kitty" or "katie kat" and things like that since before i can remember. on a band trip to florida i was wearing a long sweater with a hood and my friend said i looked like a grim reaper when i had the hood on ... except i was too feminine-shaped and too feline ... and it was he who first called me a grim kitten. which yes that would signifiy a black kitten but since i am most definately caucasian ... it's an alter ego thing. polar opposites. seeing me as the world sees me vs. seeing me as i see me kind of thing. so there you go.

and thanks to broin for for starting this thread! i know we all wonder the significance behind others' names. thanks! :)

Anonymous

WHAT'S IN A NAME....
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2004, 11:33:58 am »
Siren, a literary reference to Ancient Greek mythology, most notably Homer's Odyssey and Illiad. Sirens were beautiful woman (or occasionally mermaids) who lured unfortunate sailors to their doom with their enchanting voices.

I picked it mainly because I'm a classics fan and it kind of seems like an MxO worthy pseudonym. The other ones I was deciding between were Elektra, Nephele and Calypso.

Anonymous

WHAT'S IN A NAME....
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2004, 04:18:35 pm »
i kinda didn't feel like using my usual nick(dunno why!?!?!?!) so i just choose a name i liked.... :roll:

Anonymous

WHAT'S IN A NAME....
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2004, 04:23:52 pm »
Well lets see if I can try to explain this without too much detail. I got the name Marrs from a game that was on the Sega Genesis called Shadowrun. There was a charcter in the game by the name of Winston Marrs who was a noble and loyal but ruthless at the same time. When I joined MxO, I tried to get the name I've used in pretty much any game I've been playing that I felt the name fit me so well but I couldn't so I choose Marrs.

However, the name has taken on it's own meaning and life since I joined the FA. I plan to live up to what his story is and try to excel past that.

Anonymous

WHAT'S IN A NAME....
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2004, 05:53:27 pm »
Ye goddesses... I love Shadowrun, and the Genesis game. Though I never got the hang of the Genesis game, probably because it was made with Second Edition rules...

In any case, my name used to be SixBit. It signified a byte that could hold the same amount of information as an eight bit byte, and was therefore superior (More information stored with less energy = more potential power or storage.) Soon it changed to SixthBit. "In the days of thousands and millions of bits, the sixth can make all the difference." Meaning, if the sixth bit is a 0 instead of a 1 or vice versa, something may seriously screw up, and because the sixth bit is likely to be part of a declaration, that can ruin the whole program.

When I started Planetside, I joined Warrior Nation, who uses Team Speak for communication. "Six" is hard to recognize as a name. "Ten" is much easier. So, I changed to TenBit. More bits, larger capacity for data storage. Knowledge is power. Power is control. Or something like that. =P

In any case, I may end up changing my name to Redux, because I like single word nicknames, and because "Redux" means brought back. As in, whatever it was dissapeared for a while, and then came back. Blue pill unplugs and plugs back in as a red pill. =)

Kudos to Broin for starting this thread!

Anonymous

WHAT'S IN A NAME....
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2004, 06:13:27 pm »
ari is just short for ariweuto nase. it was a randomized name from SWG.  although i do have a few other names i go by that actually have meaning, i wanted to keep it short and simple.

Anonymous

WHAT'S IN A NAME....
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2004, 07:15:00 pm »
Hmmm... Mephisto.

Mephisto comes from the marvel comics of the sixties arch enemy of the silver surfer. I am not a big surfer fan, but the name seemed to fit in with a sort of matrixy sound and magical feel to it.

No religious implications here but he is the ruler of the underworld or the "satan" of Marvel comics. I always found him interesting because he would change his form or become what he needed to become to get the job done. Since I plan on doing the spy thing in game it really fit.

Thus Mephisto is born.

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 [18]
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online