Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: My observations of what people think of us  (Read 945 times)

Anonymous

My observations of what people think of us
« on: March 23, 2005, 07:57:45 am »
I figured I would write this because I have been getting very mixed attitudes from other players online.

My first experience I was level 6.  I was standing around a hardline waiting for some people to arrive for a group and I get a message from some guys that says "You guys are sooo cool... I have the greatest respect for you".  I was like "Thank you, that’s nice to hear".  Conversation ended there.

Then at level 9 I see these two guys dueling and stand there watching them.  This was also at a hardline. One level 9 one level 10.  I watch for a while and the level 10 eventually beat the level 9.  I was just standing there watching and said "Nice job down with the exiles" the 9 happened to be following the exiles.  So this guy turns and looks at me a does a /suckitdown I think that was the emote.  Then he /duels me.

So I'm thinking what the heck I'm sure he is going to beat me being a level 10 but I'm not one to let things go unanswered.  So I accept, and the match is close, then I hit guardbreaker a on him and he falls.  Out for the count.  I did a /bow and walked away from his body, figuring all is fine.

About 10 seconds later I get another /duel from the same guy, and decline.  He says "Why did you decline faggot?" I responded "Sorry you only get a chance at me once a day" He proceeds to then SPAM me with "you furious angels are a bunch of self righteous pricks."  "Everyone here knows you are full of yourselves and you would have never won in a fair fight.  I'm level 10 and it’s obvious to everyone here that I should have kicked your ass."

I told him apparently it wasn’t obvious to me because I beat him silly" and how wasn’t it a fair fight, he responds "I was doing something at the same time we were fighting" so I said "I advise you to pay more attention in the future".  After that he just went off screaming a ridiculous string of obscenities and things like "You all suck, none of you is worth a damn, and he kept using self-righteous pricks over and over and how the puzzle on the main page didn’t have a solution". Anyway this guys name was like Xeonn or something if anyone wants to know.

Pretty funny, thought I'd share.

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 10:00:10 am »
We have no reason to be concerned with that other factions think of us as long as we are representing ourselves in a respectful, dignified and mature manner.   Those that are envious of what FA brings to the MxO community will always have little good to say, but those that have actually interacted with us should know better.  Even that lvl 10 that you dueled has no real grounds for his actions or comments.

Since we hold ourselves to a higher standard of behavior and expect the same of all who wish to be a part of FA, those that do not mete up to those standards will always respond with the "self-righteous pricks" defense because that is all they have.  Lets all just be mindfull not to substantiate any of the negative rumors or comments going round about FA.

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 10:22:49 am »
Well, being a new member I posted this because I do not know the history of FA in beta. Any of them I met were always friendly, which is one of the reasons I wanted to join.  

What really I was hoping to gain from this post, besides thinking you all would get a chuckle, was to why do you think this guy was so overboard with this.

I for one have to disagree with you statment about not caring what other factions think, I do care about how the rest of the factions view us.  I do care about the faction being viewed in a good light, which is why I am wondering why this guy could be soo angry.  It has to be more then just losing in a duel.

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 10:38:31 am »
Ahhh.. don't worry about that guy.  I think maybe he was having a bad night.....and couldn't get through the challenge. :)

And what I meant by not worrying about what other factions think about us is that what they think about us shouldn't be our main concern.  How we conduct ourselves should be our main concern because in the end, that is all we can control.

I think I'd kinda have to laugh if I got that response out of someone who reacted that way to me. I'd probably tell them that they need to stop listening to angry music. lol

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 10:43:02 am »
A lot of people run around with the misconception that they are the center of the universe. Someties these people send one of us a /tell when we're in the middle of tell hell or combat, etc. They then feel slighted and ascribe all kinds of wonderfully poetic epithets to us. Other people just have angel envy.

Testing patience in the face of frustration is one of the things that the challenge accomplishes. Those that get testy tend to walk away or lack the stick-to-it-tiveness to finish.

Even before PvP was implemented... even before factions and crews were implemented - we still had to deal with this crap.

Most popular phrase in closed beta: "Oh... you're one of them? You don't seem that stuck up."

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 10:50:33 am »
I agree completely with Phienyx. Our main concern is that we ouselfs live up to the higher standards that FA gives us. A good rep with the factions would be nice, but not everyone can love us. People don't work that way. And there are an abundance of humans who are eager to put the blame on everyone but themselfs. It is easier to be righteous and feel good about oneself when it always is the other guys fault that life sucks, or that the challange is to hard etc.
That guy was a great example of that. Maturity is a rare gift. Ignore them, I do.

I don't say that our way is the best, but it the way I want to do things.

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 12:22:09 pm »
Quote from: "Phienyx"
Ahhh.. don't worry about that guy.  I think maybe he was having a bad night.....and couldn't get through the challenge. :)

And what I meant by not worrying about what other factions think about us is that what they think about us shouldn't be our main concern.  How we conduct ourselves should be our main concern because in the end, that is all we can control.

I think I'd kinda have to laugh if I got that response out of someone who reacted that way to me. I'd probably tell them that they need to stop listening to angry music. lol

Yeah no offense meant to you .. I appreciate you stating your opinion to my question.  I'll just continue to hold back the urge I have to throttle these people publicly without mercy. :)

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 12:36:43 pm »
Anything that is very popular is going to get criticized by a few people. Let's say that everywhere you went you were hearing about a particular faction. You couldn't go to a single hardline without someone mentioning how "cool" this faction was. If you keep hearing it, you can't help but take one of two sides. Either you decide to agree with everyone that these people must indeed by "cool" or you get tired of hearing about them and assume they are "over-rated".

Why are we self-righteous? Because we are at the top - we are selective, we do roleplay, we do get a lot of attention. People can sense that FA members have a lot of pride in their faction. It bugs a lot of people because they don't have that. As " self-righteous" as it sounds, most FA-haters are simply jealous.

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 12:54:59 pm »
As " self-righteous" as it sounds, most FA-haters are simply jealous.

Indeed, while playing in beta just after the character wipe, I was about level 18/19 due to the wonderful access nodes and I was waiting for Ajax in Mara Central on a bench.  Some of the selfless and benevolent R I P members started saying some nice things.. such as "FA are a dying cause, might as well quit now."  I simply replied with, "I wish I was as ignorant as you, you must be euphoric" or something along those lines. To which a few by standers laughed, the R I P members started flaming and I just walked away.. I know in game Ajax has been getting lots of /tells in game from people wanting to know how to get past the puzzle.

Inevitably a group as large as ourselves will have attention drawn to it, good or bad you just have to take it as it comes.

Offline Ketamininja

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 03:50:27 pm »
I would always say take a screenshot, and report abuse to the devs.
Not only does it ruin your experience when you are being courteous, but it ruins others when the guy is spamming the area chat.

The guy lost, he wanted a rematch, and didn't get it. No need to moan about it. When you said one a day, I would have sorted my buffs out in the next 24h, level up etc, and then hunt ya down to ask ya again... all good sportsmanship that way.

I'm a total frickin rock star from mars.
C'mon bro, I got tiger blood.

Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2005, 04:22:36 pm »
Angel Envy. n.
1. A common disease that grows within the minds of MxO gamers.
2. A drug that is illegal within MegaCity but popular among Machinists and Exiles.
Symptoms of Angel Envy include, but are not limited to: jealousy, flaming, griefing, frustration, itchy feet, and bulging eyes.
Possible causes of Angel envy: wanting to be an Angel, wanting a free monkey, and mental poisoning from opposing factions such as RIP or TC (refer to your local MxO boards for more information).
Please do not take Angel Envy if you are pregnant, smoking, or about to jack in. Contact a dev for further details.

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2005, 04:32:03 pm »
If your bout of Angel Envy lasts for more than 4 hours, seek the immediate company of the opposite sex (same sex, if you go that way).

Anonymous

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2005, 04:37:10 pm »
I'd just ignore them.  All they try to do is start crap to make us look bad.  We all know what we are about so screw them. lol

Anonymous

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2005, 04:04:35 am »
(like I'm bringing anything new up...)

As stated, we are pretty much at the top. Just like a celebrity, you will have fans and (for lack of a better word) haters. Along the lines of causality, every action creates a reaction. Because we are popular some people will look for the most miniscule thing to criticize us by, which is why we ourselves must be conscious of what we say in return. This is why most of the time during an interview with a potential I ask how they would respond to someone who trash talked about them, simply because it is something we can not avoid and have to deal with.

In your case the person was classified as a 'hater' and wanted to look for the smallest thing to blow back into your face. In my opinion, it was just utter nonsense. maybe he WAS suffering from angel envy lol.

Anonymous

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2005, 07:08:31 am »
i was waiting for someone like tbone or ket or grim to post, lol yah if ya havnt been with this faction as long as maybe me, ket, grim and tbone...well obviously tbone but still, weve been getting this crap forever.  we'd be on nice terms with a clan, then somehow (sorry for the women in the faction) PMS sets in and they hate us for some weird reason, we accidentally killed you at lvl 6 at the beginning of beta and now you have a vendetta against us.....its stupid but its happened.  what i find funny about all of this is that they talk a lot of shit out of game, but once there in game they wont say a word when we come by, unless they know they outnumber us 3-1, and even then they enjoy keeping their mouths shut.

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 18
  • Dot Hidden: 0