Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: January 22nd 2009 Launch Date Announced!!!!  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Anamodiel

• Staff
    • View Profile
January 22nd 2009 Launch Date Announced!!!!
« on: December 05, 2008, 09:08:22 am »
Darkfall will be released on January 22nd, 2009!

This means that Open Beta will begin sometime in either late December or early January.

I really think everyone should get on this while we wait for The Agency. It could be a lot of fun!

...And we will strike down upon those of Darkness, with great vengeance and Furious Anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

Offline Phienyx

• Angelic Fury
    • View Profile
Re: January 22nd 2009 Launch Date Announced!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 09:37:09 am »
I've been looking for my invite for about 3 years now.  lol

We're Angels, not saints.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 10:49:47 am »
Yeah, kinda lame we are that close to launch and still no beta invite. Is it going to be a pay-per-month game?

Offline Anamodiel

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 11:25:37 am »
Quote from: "Tbone"
Yeah, kinda lame we are that close to launch and still no beta invite. Is it going to be a pay-per-month game?

If it makes you feel any better, not many people have been accepted into the Beta, yet, but they said that they will be opening it up to a lot more people in the near future. I'm holding out.

...And we will strike down upon those of Darkness, with great vengeance and Furious Anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

Offline Phienyx

• Angelic Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 11:55:55 am »
Keeping a smaller and tighter crew for beta probably helps to reduce the possibiity of leaked information.  Kinda like if you have 2 kids and something gets broken, you have a pretty good idea what two people you need to ask about it.  Since they're working on some pretty ground breaking features, they seem to be playing things very close.  I think its a smart move actually.

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 10:08:09 pm »
www.legend-gaming.net  

The Community I'm part of. We have a chapter there.

Offline Lithium

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://followtheangel.org
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 12:16:38 am »
Quote from: "Phienyx"
Keeping a smaller and tighter crew for beta probably helps to reduce the possibiity of leaked information.  Kinda like if you have 2 kids and something gets broken, you have a pretty good idea what two people you need to ask about it.  Since they're working on some pretty ground breaking features, they seem to be playing things very close.  I think its a smart move actually.

From a money and marketing viewpoint it is stupid to have these year long betas and crap.

Look at MxO they let so many fucking people in for so long, and in basically an alpha quality game, that the word of mouth ended up killing the game before anybody put a penny down for it. How stupid.

Then how much money is wasted to keep free beta servers up for a year. If you have a quality coding team, and coding is done right, beta should not end up being long or huge at all.

It just comes down to poor management with long betas.

Don't believe everything you think.

Offline Phienyx

• Angelic Fury
    • View Profile
Re: January 22nd 2009 Launch Date Announced!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 06:26:31 am »
I think its in the interview in this link: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?game ... amp;bhcp=1  that they address that very issue.  Unconventional marketing strategy does not necessarily mean unsuccessful marketing strategy.  What killed MxO was not their marketing strategy or their beta process.  What killed MxO was a poor game that didn't improve much from the time of release until its death.  (Yes, I say its death because it died long ago but many die hards just didn't want to let it go peacefully).  And yes, a more effective beta process would have helped MxO.  

Darkfall is banking on the fact that all of their ground breaking features and an actual quality game is what will sell their game and bring in players.  I personally have more confidence in a dev company that is willing to bank their success on their actual product and not on a marketing blitzkrieg.  I get the impression from these guys that they want to make money, but they first and foremost want to deliver a solid product.

We all know deep down that marketing is nothing but corporate bullshit intended to convince people to spend money from jump.   What better marketing tool than the quality of the actual product?  Sure, it may take longer to build up a "fan base", but you're less likely to have a situation where people are pulled in by marketing bullshit then disappointed by the actual product.

From reading that interview, it doesn't seem like money is a big concern to them at the moment.

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
[12] 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online