Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: I'm going to be nice...  (Read 3374 times)

Offline Sared

• VETERAN ANGEL
  • Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain
    • View Profile
I'm going to be nice...
« on: June 06, 2012, 04:16:00 pm »
In a raid, there are typically four roles.

The callers, who are tracking their CC targets, the NPC's health percentage, phase of the fight, etc.

The damage dealers, who's sole purpose is to kill something before it enrages.

The tanks, who take the hits that would normally crush other players.

The healers, who keep the raid alive.

Calling can be done by any one of the other three roles, but should not be done if it detracts from their primary role.

Damage dealers are paying attention to their targets, their positioning, and most importantly, their rotation.

Tanks are paying attention to their targets, their positioning, NPC behavior, threat generation, and their defensive cool-downs.

Healers, are paying attention to the health pools of the entire raid group, their positioning, and their healing rotation.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that quite a few healers have the occasional problem of loosing track of their positioning during a particular phase, or might even screw up their rotation, because they are paying so much attention to the raid's health pools.

If you are not getting healed the moment you drop low, it's because someone else (typically a tank) needs healing more than you at that present moment. Rest assured that we know your health is low, and are getting to it as quickly as possible. Healers like knowing when a tank has blown all of their defensive cool downs because it means that they must prioritize them differently.

All that being said, when I hear "Soandso is low on health" during an encounter, I consider it an open-faced insult to the healers. I will jump down your throat about it, and I will not be nice.

Thank you for reading this, and please, have a little faith in your healers.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled forum!

Offline ZephixLeer (Zephic)

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
Re: I
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 07:54:25 pm »
Man, you're such a dick.

:)

Offline Tecknik

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 10:06:54 pm »
People do this?  Bullshit.

Offline Faiden

• Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 12:59:18 pm »
Amen Sared, A-FUCKING-MEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Like the blade rushing from my hilt, my blood shall never cool.

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://omeganerd.com
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 02:19:37 pm »
Meh.  I don't mind it so much.  I mean if it's excessive sure but the occasional "getting raped over here" doesn't bug me personally.  I can understand what you're getting at though.
"To the darkened skies once more and ever onward."

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 02:22:11 pm »
Also, there's politely stating and then there's complaining or whining.  Being polite and just letting everyone know you're getting raped in my opinion is fine.  Bitching about having half health or giving attitude about not being healed, when you probably don't realize DPS player X is getting smashed in the face and you're burning all your cooldowns to keep him up, pisses me off.  :)

Offline Cyil

• Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 07:51:43 pm »
I will say I rarely call out for heals, but I have done it really I think just once or twice.  I think the healers that I have gotten to group with are great and I know I don't mean anything.  I trust them to get it done, and they do.  I think the tanks has been the only time I ever called it out and that is beucase depending on the bug with the video and the spires dropping after I take dmg or not even visually showing once in awhile.  So if i offend anyone, but Sared that is, you guys do great.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
Re: I'm going to be nice...
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 02:26:29 pm »
Quote from: "Sared"
All that being said, when I hear "Soandso is low on health" during an encounter, I consider it an open-faced insult to the healers. I will jump down your throat about it, and I will not be nice.

I don't think you should take it as an insult, and you certainly shouldn't jump down someone's throat. Like you said, healers are paying attention to health pools, their positioning, and healing rotations. There's a lot going on and sometime's you can overlook someone's health.

I consider it the same as someone telling me "Tbone, you have the red dot" or someone telling me I have aggro. Most likely I know it, but a little extra security never hurts. It certainly shouldn't be taken as insulting.

That being said, I don't think you should call out for heals every time you get below 20%. If I'm below 10% health for more than 10 seconds, I'll usually say something as that's a pretty good indication that the healer might be distracted.

Obviously the idea behind communication during a pull is to keep it the necessary information to keep the raid up and successful. If you think you're about to go down and cost the raid the pull, then you should probably say something. You should assume that you're in the queue to be healed, though, and do what you have to do to stay up. If they haven't gotten to you when your defensive stuff is done, then speak up.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 02:33:33 pm »
Quote from: "likwidtek"
Also, there's politely stating and then there's complaining or whining.  Being polite and just letting everyone know you're getting raped in my opinion is fine.  Bitching about having half health or giving attitude about not being healed, when you probably don't realize DPS player X is getting smashed in the face and you're burning all your cooldowns to keep him up, pisses me off.  :)

I think this is more the issue. When you start blaming people and accusing people, the raid group is going to break down. Even if if is someone's fault, you should try to help out and help them fix whatever issue you're having instead of just bitching.

A good example is us spending this week helping Tincan get his DPS up. We coulda just bitched about it, but instead we helped him work on his rotation and gave him time to try things out and we managed to get two bosses down in EC HM when all was said and done.

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 05:47:18 pm »
I agree.  On this note, hopefully tanks don't get mad when I let them know I've got a lot of agro.

Offline Sared

• VETERAN ANGEL
  • Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 09:36:03 pm »
Quote from: "Tbone"
If you think you're about to go down and cost the raid the pull, then you should probably say something. You should assume that you're in the queue to be healed, though, and do what you have to do to stay up. If they haven't gotten to you when your defensive stuff is done, then speak up.

Bingo. :)

Offline Broin

• Second-in-Command
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 12:35:58 pm »
Quote from: "Sared"
Quote from: "Tbone"
If you think you're about to go down and cost the raid the pull, then you should probably say something. You should assume that you're in the queue to be healed, though, and do what you have to do to stay up. If they haven't gotten to you when your defensive stuff is done, then speak up.

Bingo. :)

Agreed

Go ahead, make my day.

Offline Milhouse

• Soldier
    • View Profile
    • http://lancamp.org
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 01:14:07 pm »
Juuuuusssst so ya know...   putting this sort of complaint out there in a very general way seems to tell everyone they kinda suck.  Not really a morale builder.

Hopefully whoever inspired Sared to make this post was taken aside and told directly, "Hey, you kinda suck.  Here's why..."

Offline jessercas

• Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 11:24:48 pm »
Quote from: "Milhouse"
Juuuuusssst so ya know...   putting this sort of complaint out there in a very general way seems to tell everyone they kinda suck.  Not really a morale builder.

Hopefully whoever inspired Sared to make this post was taken aside and told directly, "Hey, you kinda suck.  Here's why..."

^
Ditto

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.