New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Troy  (Read 5737 times)

Anonymous

Troy
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2004, 06:06:08 am »
i still aint seen it yet but its out soon in England which is good.

hhmmm this film sounded like it got even better if HELEN is HOT

Anonymous

Troy
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2004, 11:40:33 am »
Quote from: "Soma"
And Bloom was a little bitch and when he tried to kiss Helen he missed her face. lol

Lol i completly agree. I went with a couple friends to see it. Afterwards we pretty much all had the same opinion... I cant believe that little fairy. Paris killed  Achilles!

Anonymous

Troy
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2004, 11:49:02 am »
Paris killed Achilles!

And I hate him for that. She said 'no!' jerk!

Anonymous

Troy
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2004, 02:01:30 pm »

Way to go guys, you ruined the movie for me. Try putting SPOILERS AHEAD in big red letter in the title. I haven't read the story of Achilles or Troy or Homer's Oddysey or anything like that, so I don't already know the story. I haven't seen the movie yet, and now it's ruined, thank you very much, I hope you're all happy.

The, uh, title of the thread indicated it was going to be solely about the movie =( =(  Any review you read will also have the same spoilers as certain parts of the Troy story are pretty well known.

I cant believe that little fairy. Paris killed Achilles!

Bloom played Paris exactly as he ought to have been played (pretty risky move given the actors star status).   I thought it was pretty well done.   But I was disappointed in the death scene.  I thought Paris killed Achilles while Achilles was fighting someone else (hence, the act was more cowardly than that) ... plus, this way it just seemed kind of petty with his cousin yelling for him to stop.

Anonymous

Troy
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2004, 03:00:54 pm »
1.  The Illiad was based around Gods, that is why they went to war in the first place (golden apple), not having Gods in it is like having the Matrix without machines! Various Gods fought on each side.

2.  Achilles left the war (which was 10 years long) after a row with Agamemnom over a slave girl and only rejoined when his best friend Petroclus was killed by Hector.  Achilles body is supposed to be COVERED by armour made by Hephaestus (God of forging) and yet in the film he isn't.

Sorry to bitch, and there are other things that I am bound to be able to bitch about once I have actually seen the film! But I just hate it when people make films about books and do it wrong.

Anonymous

Troy
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2004, 03:22:08 pm »
I was under the impression whoever dipped him in the armor was holding him by the heel, and that part of his body was not covered.  This leads to the term Achille's Heel, meaning the weakness in the armor.

Anonymous

Troy
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2004, 03:33:39 pm »
Actually in the myth he was dipped by his heel in the river Styx becomming invincible everywhere on his body except his heel.

Anonymous

Troy
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2004, 03:40:05 pm »
You should never expect a movie based off of a book to have everything the book does. The key word here is based. Troy was based off of The Iliad, which means that the movie doesn't have everything that The Iliad does. But despite there being a few things left out of the movie, I still found it to be quite enjoyable.

Did anyone else find themselves unsure of who the wanted to win? In the fight where Hector took on Achilles, I found myself stuck in the middle wanting both men to win the fight. But in the end, I guess the right man won. I mean, come on. It's Brad Pitt....

Anonymous

Troy
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2004, 03:47:39 pm »
Brad Pitt can't beat the Hulk......  You wont like him when he's angry

Anonymous

Troy
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2004, 05:12:16 pm »
My favorite character was Hector.  I was devastated when he lost.  Seriously, bawling girl extraordinaire.

The problem with the book is that it was EPIC.  A movie cannot adequately portray a 12-year war.  On the other hand, without that length of time, Achilles' refusal to fight seemed somewhat petulant.  ("I'll help" "I won't help" "I'll help!").

Anonymous

Troy
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2004, 05:18:44 pm »
Lol. That's a good point though. Obviously the movie wouldn't be as popular if it really was true to the whole 12-year war plot-line, but it did kind of condense the character relationships to the bare minimun necessary for anything to make sense.

Anonymous

Troy
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2004, 05:57:14 pm »
Soma...

Youre killing me dude... the point is that the myths that we know today are only that: stories. The whole point of troy was to portray a more realistic story. In the movie achilles was just a good warrior looking for fame. He was killed realistically with arrows in the chest. However, notice that he pulled all of the arrows out except for the ankle one?? Yes, that is how the others found his body, with one arrow. Now since they perseved him as invincible, and he only had one arrow in his ankle, then isnt that a conceivable origin of the legend? Yes, yes it is.

Now, it is very nice that you have this knowledge of the legend of troy, and very impressive that you could watch a film with such a scrutinizing eye...however, lets think before we talk. Being smart is sweet and all, but being smart with what we say is respectable.

Anonymous

Troy
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2004, 06:12:29 pm »
http://www.livejournal.com/users/cleolinda/99710.html

this summed it up, for all the people who either CAN"T go to the movies...or who DON"T but....here ya go....just passing this along...I got a kick out of it

Anonymous

Troy
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2004, 07:15:55 pm »
Silas...

You're killing me dude.....I never said that they should have had gods in the movie and stuff. What I'm saying is that the myths should have been involved somehow. Like people should have talked about how Achilles was believed to have been dipped in the river Styx. The fact that they completely ignored even mentioning the myth content except for the little boy at the beginning saying achilles could not be killed was what i didn't like. They should have somehow involved it, though it wud have been really terrible if they actually had all the myth stuff as reality in it. So i am just saying that they should have at least mentioned/conversed about it somewhere in the film.

Also, in response to "However, notice that he pulled all of the arrows out except for the ankle one?? Yes, that is how the others found his body, with one arrow. Now since they perseved him as invincible, and he only had one arrow in his ankle, then isnt that a conceivable origin of the legend? Yes, yes it is." I have to say, no, no it isn't. My guess is that the greeks were pretty smart and not complete dumbasses and would have noticed the BIG GAPING HOLES IN THE MIDDLE OF ACHILLES' CHEST.

Now, it is very nice that you have knowledge of the medical field, and very impressive that you are able to read the tabloids.......however, lets think before we talk. Being a smart ass sucks and all, but being.....o no wait it just sucks.

P.S. What is unrealistic about a poison tipped arrow?

Anonymous

Troy
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2004, 07:33:55 pm »
lol thats pretyy funny stuff LD:lol:

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 [18]
19 20 21 22 23 24 25