Bush
7 (23.3%)
Kerry
18 (60%)
None of the above
5 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: November 02, 2004, 01:51:26 pm

Author Topic: Presidential Erec.. I mean Elections.  (Read 10290 times)

Anonymous

Presidential Erec.. I mean Elections.
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2004, 06:16:14 pm »
States' rights. That's the long and the short of it.

By way of analogy:

If the UN elected presidents based on popular vote, then small countries with low populations would have no say because they would be overwhelmed.

That's why the electoral college exists. To ensure that low population states still have a say in who becomes president. States' Rights happen to be incredibly important to a large number of Americans whether you happen to agree with it or not. If you don't think that states have the right to be treated like independent countries - consider that California has the world's fifth largest economy. All by itself. California could legitemately attend a G-5 summit. Deal with it. Most State Military units could overrun 90% of the countries in the world. (National Guard units are State controlled and account for a significant portion of US forces currently in Iraq.)

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I'm just saying that's the way it is and why.

For the record, we are not a democracy. We are a republic. We know that. The pledge of alligience even says it: "And to the republic for which it stands..."

True democracy means that there are no elections at all. There are no representatives. Every issue that gets voted on gets voted on by everyone who wishes to participate. There are no democracies anywhere in the world. It's just a word we like to bandy about.

Also for the record: I am wearing my Electoral College T-Shirt today. The one that says:

Electoral College Athletic Department - We count... So You Don't.

:P

Anonymous

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2004, 06:25:24 pm »
1. American
2. Bush Supporter
3. Electoral College Sucks :)

Back to watching the polls...

Anonymous

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2004, 06:31:02 pm »
The definition of the EC does not make it suddenly a good thing.  If the majority votes Bush in my state, then all 20 electoral votes go to Bush.  Essentially eliminating my vote.  Whereas a popular vote would ensure that every single vote is important, and that each and every persons opinion counts toward their candidate/issue.  The popular vote represents what the people want.  The EC represents some crack-pot ancient idea to get the president people don't like into office, as long as he plays a smart campaign and focuses on the swing states.

The EC doesn't protect states rights, it creates prizes out of the states.  Florida and Ohio have the most major influence over the election, they are what the EC supposedly tries to eliminate (by your definition).  Special Interest groups are everywhere, swarming my state.  I can't watch TV for an hour without seeing at least 10 political ads, simply because I live in a state that could go dem or rep.  And when the time comes, and it's 49% Bush and 48% Kerry, then Bush -wins- 20 electoral votes, and my vote, because I live around republicans, goes to George, whether I like it or not.  Now tell me how that's fair?

Anonymous

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2004, 06:32:35 pm »
I get the feeling that Bush will win tonight.

I can't imagine having to deal with this administration for four more years.  Even though I really wished Kerry would win, I was sure that the "deep america" i.e. guns and bible lovers, would reelect Bush.

Whatever.  I guess a majority of americans like the mess they're in.  Good luck with that.

Anonymous

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2004, 06:33:54 pm »
I guess I get the whole "States' Rights" thing... I would just like to see more of peoples rights...  They're out there saying "Go vote! You make a difference!"  But it seems as though with this electoral college thing, "your" individual vote doesn't really count.  Grouped with others it does, but alone it doesn't.  BUT then again, if you go and say "oh its alright if i don't vote" your probably not the only one thinking that then a lot of people won't vote... Ah don't mind me, i'm just ranting.  I can't even vote, so I don't see why I'm ranting so much...

P.S. Syntax hit EXACTLY what I was tryin to say.  Though I live in Cali, which is a democrat state, I (would be) democrat so it's not like my vote doesn't count.  But what about the people like Syntax who's vote doesn't count?  Boy, we're active right now...

Anonymous

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2004, 06:36:15 pm »
Well you know states right are kind of an illusion since more populous states get more electoral college votes.

Anonymous

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2004, 06:41:55 pm »
The right place to bitch about a system you don't like is to your elected representative. If enough people want change, change happens. That's the genius of the founding fathers. They were smart enough to realize that they didn't know everything (unlike most people) and that things might need to change over time.

Whining here about how it's unfair to you that your state's vote is more important than your individual vote accomplishes exactly donkey. Want change? Go out and vote. Petition your reps. Get involved. Typing words here is not getting involved.

Bet you dollars to doughnuts that I've signed more petitions to change and or eradicate the electoral college than all of you put together.

Anonymous

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2004, 06:44:11 pm »
You think we're complaining/whining here?  It seems to me like just a discussion.  Granted a bit off topic, but not "complaining" or "whining".

Anonymous

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2004, 06:51:36 pm »
Well Gillette you did a good thing.  I wish more americans would do it.

So does anybody know how it went in Colorado ?  Weren't they trying to change the "winner takes all" deal ?

Anonymous

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2004, 06:53:39 pm »
Eh. When I say whining and bitching and complaining, it's a blanket. It refers to anyone who says: No Fair! when they have, in the past, done exactly nothing to change what they deem is not fair. If the shoe fits, wear it. If it doesn't, then ignore it.

Call you congressperson. Call your governor.

And umm... Get involved. If you don't want to get involved, and you want to complain, try Canada.

Love it, Change it or Leave it.

:D

ps. The dems need a new mascot. Having an ass as a mascot is well... Yeah.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/results/

Anonymous

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2004, 06:56:09 pm »
Actually, there was nothing to discuss. You guys are bitching about the EC and how "Oh, well my vote wont count." Your vote DOES count. It's going toward who your representatives vote for.

If you want to complain, vote for Nader. If your gonna complain about voting. Dont go out and vote. Simple as that.

Anonymous

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2004, 06:57:45 pm »
Nader didn't make it on to every state's ballot. :P

Anonymous

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2004, 07:00:16 pm »
Well that's the thing... I can't.  Not 18.  I wan't to though.

Anonymous

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2004, 07:01:12 pm »
Yeah, but Michaels did ( the constitutional partys nominee). And that is pretty funny. Hasnt he learned that we hate people who cant color co-ordinate now?

....what has pop culture done to us?

Anonymous

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2004, 07:01:47 pm »
I would love nothing else than to get involved if I could Gillette.

Unfortunely, as you will surely agree, canadians are a sub-race and are not worthy of walking this earth.  Americans are the supreme beings of this planet and masters of the universe.  They are omnipotent, omniscient and can do no wrong.  Did I pretty much describe it as you see it Gillette ?

This kind of attitude is what makes most other countries dislike americans.

Just my opinion.

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online