Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Chatting  (Read 4741 times)

Anonymous

Chatting
« on: May 20, 2004, 07:33:50 am »
my computer in unable to run ventrillo. partially because it sucks, and partially because the actual owner wont allow it. :) . i was think though that we could maybe start a chat rooom where people can go and talk in real time (like aol). this would help cut down on any thread spam we have, and also on the amount tbone needs to keep up with. any topics that we want the entire clan to know of or discuss over a period of time we will post. we can also have the chat room for live action rping, untill the game comes out that is. just an idea to have, and also something to talk about. love to hear you opinions. thanks.

Anonymous

Chatting
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 07:49:37 am »
If you can still run ventrillo you don't have to speak, there is an in-built chatroom which you could conisider Malkuth.  There is also an IRC Channel but its for a FA Idle matrix game.  We could maybe open a chat on IRC.  

L8r

Anonymous

Chatting
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 10:38:43 am »
I suggested opening an Angels irc channel, however it would be Tbone's decision.

Anonymous

Chatting
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 10:54:26 am »
it would give us something to do untill the actual game comes out. i mean i know not all of us are going to get into the beta::hopeing anyway :) ::

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
Chatting
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 01:06:09 pm »
Ventrilo will be our main form of communicating once we are in-game. I would suggest that all of you get used to using it in any way you can. There should be no problems downloading or connecting to the server. I've made it as simple as it could possibly get. Once you connect, you can simply go to "chat" if you have no way of talking with a mic.

Anonymous

Chatting
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 01:08:54 pm »
-E-

After reviewing the options, ventrillo is the best option.  It provides the chat services that mIRC does and allows you to speak in real time to eachother, which we will need game.  I urge everyone to download this program, as it is small and takes little to no space, and will help us grow together a great deal.

Anonymous

Chatting
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2004, 03:49:16 pm »
I didn't know that Ventrilo had chat capability, and I didn't see the point in getting it as I don't own a mic.  But, I've already downloaded it as you can simply chat with it.  Though, I'm not sure why you need another chat option on top of what MxO will be supplying.

Anonymous

Chatting
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2004, 05:09:22 pm »
Once the game is out, Ventrilo will be just for those who are ingame with mics. 'Offline' chat section for those who arent playing? I think there currently just are chat, captain chat, beta chat and ship chats now..

Anonymous

Chatting
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2004, 05:31:10 pm »
Everyone should also make sure to get AIM accounts set up because in game that will be the main chat medium among us and other players, cos they wont all be hooked up to our ventrilo channel. So gettin an AIM account set up wud be a good idea i think. Plus its free, so u got nothing to lose.

Anonymous

Chatting
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2004, 09:10:57 pm »

this would help cut down on any thread spam we have

Hey.....I LIKE thread spam!

Anonymous

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2004, 09:57:03 pm »
Quote from: "Syhnn"
[Ventrilo] provides the chat services that mIRC does and allows you to speak in real time to eachother, which we will need game.

Not entirely true.  While Ventrilo allows text chat - as IRC does, and voice communication - as IRC doesn't, IRC still has 2 things Ventrilo doesn't:

1. History.  Enter Ventrilo text chat and you arrive to a blank slate (ditto for speech).  In IRC you can scroll through days of chat to backtrack what happened while you were out - as well as the most recent messages left while you went to the crapper and even private messages.  Only these forums come close to those features, and I have yet to see anything rival IRC for this in 4 years of online gaming.

2. Community.  Not just ours, but those of other friendly factions included in the mix, as well as other non-factioned players.  Sure, some can be invited into the public portion of our Ventrilo channel, and I've seen some decent examples of "bonding" between friendly CS teams using Ventrilo, but never like I've seen in IRC.

The trick would be to figure out the best IRC server for MxO.  If some obscure server is chosen, and visitors are a very rare occurance, then #2 is a moot point.  For example, irc.GameSurge.net (formerly named irc.GamesNET.net) became the defacto IRC server for North American CS teams.

Three things, actually:

3. Trivia.  I love trivia.

4. Typing.  I love typing, especially when answering trivia questions.

Sooooo that makes 4 things.

Anonymous

Chatting
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2004, 10:16:10 am »
Hmmm all good ideas....I was a teen counselor on irc for two years.....believe me monk has a good point on the whole logs thing - that came in handy very much so. Anyways, we all have to make a sacrifice for the better good. We can have the mics for the people who have mics, and anyone who doesn't have it try and get one! It really doesn't cost that much at all. And if you absolutely positively can't get one get aol! We'll be able to use our aol messenger in while playing the game, so we'll be able to chat privately with one another, or (hopefully) make an aol chatroom for everyone...this'll be better and good fireveryone

Just remember that we all have to make sacrifices for the good of errbody....Peace

Anonymous

Chatting
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2004, 04:33:01 pm »
In addition to everyone getting a AIM screen name, I suggest getting one with your MxO name on it, even if you already have another one.  It's free, and sometimes it gets confusing remembering who uses which AIM SN.  Make one that is for use on MxO only.

Anonymous

Chatting
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2004, 04:49:49 pm »
it's not exactly easy to get a name you want on aim anymore :p

Anonymous

Chatting
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2004, 04:56:56 pm »
ya, people have taken about every name there is, and i think half the time AOL is lying about whether the name really exists.

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 342