Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: SWTOR to have open pvp?  (Read 3731 times)

Offline Ragnarok

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
SWTOR to have open pvp?
« on: October 26, 2010, 05:57:26 pm »
To all who read this I may be wrong. They simply state that if you run into someone of the opposite faction and their level is much higher than you then you are going to get killed.

Here is the Insider issue: http://www.zinio.com/reader.jsp?o=int&pub=500451076&prev=sub&offer=500236021

They have a huge article about SWTOR and its pretty informative, but its a few pages in so be prepared to click next.....a lot.

So long as I breathe, I live. So long as I live, I fight. So long as I fight, I triumph!

Offline Da6onet

• VETERAN ANGEL
  • I shall either find a way or make one.
    • View Profile
    • JPL
SWTOR to have open pvp?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 06:10:03 pm »
The statement is still open ended, they don't specifically outline the rules of engagement. The only thing that is confirmed, open pvp, just means there will be at least one server that does not have pvp instanced (like a warzone, special area, etc).
If all the world's problems were solved today, what would you have left to do tomorrow?

NEED NEW SIGNATURE, CAN PAY IN THE FORM OF BEER!!!

Offline Ragnarok

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
SWTOR to have open pvp?
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 06:18:07 pm »
Official discussion:http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=218380

Dag I am not saying it is confirmed or not just merely hinted at.

So long as I breathe, I live. So long as I live, I fight. So long as I fight, I triumph!

Offline Paitryn

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
SWTOR to have open pvp?
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 08:29:40 pm »
Im not quite sure it hints at it either. everyone snips out the PVE part because they dont feel its relevant, I think they were trying to make a comparison of the potential problem of open pvp.

Too much is left to interpretation at the statement. Same goes for how space combat is like Rogue Squadron, even though what we have confirmed for space combat is a tunnel shooter which Rogue Squadron is not.

They are still being a little too vague on the issue. unfortunately if their view on world pvp is based around the concept of High levels beating up on low level characters, I cant say I want to do that kind of open pvp again. I love pvp, but i like it when its productive to the gameplay instead of counterproductive to the gameplay design.

Offline Ragnarok

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
SWTOR to have open pvp?
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 08:38:47 pm »
I personally hope for some specified planets/zones that are open pvp while others aren't, or a pvp flagging system similar to swg special forces.

Offline Manic Velocity

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • Pod Goo & Tonic
SWTOR to have open pvp?
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 09:13:24 pm »
Frankly, I think I'd get bored on a PvE server.  Open world PvP means the excitement of always having to watch your back.

Offline Paitryn

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
SWTOR to have open pvp?
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 09:16:59 pm »
Thats what I'm really hoping for. better to have areas you can go around when your not feeling pvp then having to wonder if the sith are hiding behind that rock over there.

Open world pvp like some on the TOR forums are wanting left me aggrivated, frustrated, and annoyed to the point I almost dropped the genre altogether. It really kept me from experiencing the content the Developer provided in leiu of avoiding large concentrations of the opposing faction.

when you have areas design with pvp in mind it gets better imo

Offline Deathsythe

• Meat Shield
    • View Profile
SWTOR to have open pvp?
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 09:26:18 pm »
Quote from: "ManicVelocity"
Frankly, I think I'd get bored on a PvE server.  Open world PvP means the excitement of always having to watch your back.

I agree 100%

Offline Ragnarok

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
SWTOR to have open pvp?
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 09:32:26 pm »
I want a pvp server just something that doesn't make it into darkfall,the gankfest aspect of it. They need to have a system that allows you to have some down time. I love open pvp, but it must be done well or it can make/break a game.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
SWTOR to have open pvp?
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 09:32:55 pm »
I think with SWTOR there will have to be certain zones. The towns would be safe spots and once you're out in the wilderness you can get screwed or something. I liked the way MxO worked, but MxO was very sandbox in nature - the world was huge, and it was easy to stay out of sight if you wanted to avoid the fight (unless FA was tracking you).

With SWTOR being more linear (from what I've heard...it won't be sandbox like SWG, for instance), you run the risk of having really bad choke points everywhere that prevent a large number of players from being able to progress.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle it.

Offline Paitryn

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
SWTOR to have open pvp?
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 09:38:08 pm »
I guess for MxO that sounded like it would work, but in my WoW and other MMO open pvp experience, you could watch your back all day, wouldnt change the fact you were about to get killed, corpse camped, killed repeatedly until you managed to find a flightmaster (if he was even alive) and get out of there. Most of the time it meant logging out and waiting for them to go away so I could continue with what I am doing.

Some major concerns here so far is that combat contains a lot of CC and not sure if it contains many CC breakers. so when you try to get away from the high level sith inquisitor, he stops you with a chain lightning stun attack, holding you in place so he can finish the job. you have no choice but to watch your character die.

In wow a PVE server had all the same pvp stuff, minus the open world random gankfest. and like many who started on PVP servers (mine was RPPVP) many ended up migrating because of how rampant the issue became with no desire to fix the problem. PVE servers also had certain areas that when you did thier quests, flagged you pvp, while those that did not want to participate, did not have to worry.

again its all part of the hows of implementation. Poorly implemented  it would be a nightmare on the gameplay. Done well and it only adds to the gameplay setting.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
SWTOR to have open pvp?
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 09:42:05 pm »
Yes, Darkfall was a nightmare. There was basically no penalty for even murdering your own race, and it didn't cost any money to war other guilds. Also, when you died, all your equipment dropped - everything. Too much of that type of stuff just makes the game not enjoyable.

Offline Ragnarok

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
SWTOR to have open pvp?
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 09:45:33 pm »
I still think a on/off flagging system similar to SWG would work best, but also combined with some incentive to flag yourself.

Offline Paitryn

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
SWTOR to have open pvp?
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 10:22:22 pm »
Quote from: "Ragnarok"
I still think a on/off flagging system similar to SWG would work best, but also combined with some incentive to flag yourself.

I really did like the SWG system a lot better. even with the player bounties coming out of nowhere sometimes when oops forgot to unflag or something similar. It made you more aware, but didnt distract from the rest of the game.

i remember a while back when i was playing we had an RPPVP moment when an opposing faction guild came into town and we poured out of the cantina (player city) and drove them out of town. I love those moments when someone thinks they are gonna come into a small town and stir up trouble only to face 30 cantina goers who didnt care much for it!

Offline Erathaol

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
SWTOR to have open pvp?
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 10:37:47 pm »
I yearn for the days of Ultima Online...  Though they went through many iterations of open PvP, at the core their philosophy was to allow everything with extremely severe consequences for rampant PKing.  
After the notoriety system which was easily exploited and kinda similar to Darkfall's method and before they split the game into PvP and PvE facets, they had a simple PK counter where after 5-8 (short or long term) kills you became permanently red and were not allowed in town and were killable by all other players without consequence.  
Further, at a certain point you'd enter stat-loss, which meant upon resurrection you would permanently lose a portion of your skill points that could not be recovered until you waited off your murder counts (8 in-game hours for short-term and 40 in-game hours for long-term).

In a game like SW:TOR, a system like that unfortunately cannot work.  I don't think a linear two-side class-based MMO can properly implement things like Open PvP or full loot (oh boy do I love full loot) without either radically changing the game or reaching such a drastic compromise that their "Open PvP" is anything but open and incredibly boring.  WoW tried, and in my opinion failed miserably.  I too played on a PvP server there, and it was awful!

SW:TOR's best bet, if they wish to include some form of meaningful PvP, which I dearly hope they do, is to have many separations.  PvP servers, PvP planets, PvP zones, etc.  
An important thing for them to consider, and something TBone mentioned, was avoiding choke-points.  If the game has only one or even a few rewarding areas to farm/do quests in that aren't end-game (strict competition for the super high-end raiding locations is fine by me), they'll be left with tons of obnoxious camping and griefing in said "prime" areas.  The easiest way to avoid this is to create a variety of equally-rewarding zones at all levels, so there can still be competition over the "good" areas but any giver person can always avoid the heavily contested or enemy-occupied areas in favor of the safer ones, so long as they are not drastically inferior choices.

In any case, we'll see how they handle it.  I just hope whatever they choose is still fun, whatever it is.

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
[12] 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 233