Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Idea for Recruitment  (Read 15920 times)

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
Idea for Recruitment
« on: July 12, 2011, 03:28:04 pm »
Quote from: "Kaplin"
Tbone,
I've had a little idea to push the FollowTheSignal challenge beyond the TOR website, while hopefully still keeping it within the boundaries of the gaming community.

Wind, ExternalError and myself will be attending the Eurogamer Expo at the end of September this year, in London.  The event isn't anywhere near as large as say Gamescom in Germany, or the various events in the US.  However, it will be attended by Bioware showing off TOR.

Anyway, to the point.  I've created a QR code for www.followthesignal.net  This could be printed off and placed around the event, with subtlety of course.
Having been to the event last year I know there are many pillars around where some could be attached, along with the inevitable queue barriers.  Plus, we could probably slip one next to the PC we're playing on.

Now, I have come across some positive and negatives to this.

Positive
    I think this would allow us to reach people who wouldn't otherwise look for a guild before the release date.  Furthermore, the recruitment section of the TOR website can be something horrible to look at.  

The QR code is brilliant in that it holds all the information required to find the page/answer, but at first glance you can't tell what it will say.

With all the smartphones and similar devices taken to these events, the QR codes will be ideal to get the intrigue going, while making it easy for people to follow.

With the vast number of similar events taking place over the year (with Bioware/TOR in attendance) alongside the spread of FA members, we could spread this idea further.

Small possibility the codes, if placed discreetly, would be picked up by some of the media (large and small) attending the event.  Potential to boost interest.

Negative
    The challenge is not accessible with iPhone, iPad, etc or anything that doesn't allow Javascript or Flash.  We would have to re-direct to another page.  Perhaps, extending the challenge via simple pages?

Just a re-direct to
www.followthesignal.net would mean (in most circumstances) people would have to remember when back home to go take the challenge.  Would need give them something to do from pretty much the second they scan the code.  Most people will be queuing for a long time, and would probably take this opportunity to investigate the code further.

May not be appreciated by organisers of the event or developers attending (most notably Bioware of course)  Perhaps permission should be sought out?

Possibility of being caught and ruining the mystique and intrigue behind whole idea.  After all, it would be the mystery behind it that would spur people on.[/list]

These lists are probably by no means complete.  I'm sure there are more positive and negatives I've overlooked.  And I'm not expecting anyone else to do the legwork in creating additional parts if needed.  Assuming I get permission from yourself (and others if need be) I would like to take on this myself.  Ideally, keeping the idea as quiet as possible.

Anyway, please let me know what you think, and if you consider it viable and/or a good idea.

Kaplin

I'm worried that it will definitely not be permissible at the event.

Offline Manic Velocity

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • Pod Goo & Tonic
Re: Idea for Recruitment
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 04:43:32 pm »
I think it's a good idea.  Even if they're not permissible at the event, the worst that could happen is they get crumpled up and thrown away.

QR codes are a very cheap and non-intrusive form of advertising.  As long as Kaplin isn't plastering them in every conceivable spot I can't imagine it being much of a problem.  He just needs to be mindful that he's essentially speaking for the faction by putting these things up.  Abusing them would put us in a negative light.  It sounds like he understands that though.

Offline NoCry

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 05:20:14 pm »
Personally I like the idea.

Offline ArchNemesis

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 10:20:13 pm »
I like the idea as well. I'm just curious how it'll be implemented in a way that keeps people interested till they have access to a pc.

Offline Ash

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 08:37:01 am »
I think it's a pretty slick idea, and maybe we can get them to print the code on a T-shirt (CafePress) and wear it around while they are at the convention.

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men"

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 10:30:56 am »
Kaplin got an email back from Eurogamer saying they thought it was a great idea! Let's figure out the best way to do this, then!

Offline NoCry

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 11:00:18 am »
viral man; but not so obscure that people dont get it.

Offline Ash

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 11:32:31 am »
Okay, this is just a thought here but how about we pool some money together and get some business cards printed out.  On one side is the QR code and on the other "Are you an Angel?"  We could make the card look completely professional and then have Kaplin and the guys disperse them at the convention.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 11:46:08 am »
Quote from: "Yotogi"
and on the other "Are you an Angel?"

That may look like they are hitting on them. lol

Offline Ash

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 12:21:17 pm »
Quote from: "Tbone"
Quote from: "Yotogi"
and on the other "Are you an Angel?"

That may look like they are hitting on them. lol

Well we can instruct them to only hand the cards out to females.  I don't see where this is a problem..lol

Offline Broin

• Second-in-Command
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
Idea for Recruitment
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 01:12:31 pm »
Yeah I love the idea...

I like the business card idea as well... but no sense in stopping there.  

Maybe a few posters or pamphlets... tshirts maybe.

Go ahead, make my day.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
Idea for Recruitment
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 01:27:54 pm »
Moving this to the member forums so we can get more input!

Offline Keeloth

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
Idea for Recruitment
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 02:23:14 pm »
Awesome idea!

T-shirts are a must.  The "Are you an Angel?" bit might be a bit much.  Maybe just our logo?

Offline Arawn

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
Idea for Recruitment
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 02:33:57 pm »
I say we do this. Lets finish planning this so we can start the pooling... First... Who knows a good place to do the cards, etc? Hopefully get a discount for all the things we're asking for.

For the Tshirt I think the Angel Emblem on the front and the QR on the back, thoughts?
Posters... We could use some photoshop experts... is odj still around? Personally I loved his work with the black/white stuff.

I am able to donate like 20-30 dollars and some more over time... depending how much time we got? :P

If I had the source code... Life would be easier.

Offline JazzyC

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
Idea for Recruitment
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 04:32:45 pm »
Well, with Eurogamer on-board I'm going to see how far I can push it, and what (if anything) they'd be able to do to help.  Be it giving me slightly earlier access or just not caring where I stuck things.

I myself had considered about putting the QR codes onto the back of myself and a couple of friends.  However, I would want us to appear like pawns in the whole game, so we'd just act dumb if someone asked us about them.  I figure people would be more intrigued if no one around seems to know whats going on.

Perhaps a few different QR codes made into posters, each revealing a part of a message/riddle to lead them on.  A bread crumb trail if you will.
Because the challenge being in flash, a rather major smartphone/tablet is going to have trouble if we direct straight to there.
In keeping with the bread crumb trail, and the idea of it being a signal, perhaps a few messages could be made and spread around the web.  I'm thinking a message in morse code (text and audio), messages within pictures, automated email messages.

I think it would be naive to think we could keep them doing it for over a day (or even the entire weekend) but we just need to get the hooked in so they do two things,
1) Spread the word when they get stuck and start looking for answers and help online
2) Go back to it to take the test perhaps a few days later

When I contact Eurogamer again I will be also be asking whether I need to seek permission from anyone of the publishers/developers there that are showcasing their games if I wanted to leave anything at their booths.  If it is anything like last year, the majority of booths are left unattended (more or less) but my key aim would be leaving stuff at the TOR stand.  
I think this is going to be wishful thinking that I could leave something at a few of the computers demoing TOR.  Given that there would be myself, Ex, Odj and at least a couple of others, we could leave things around at least 5 PCs.  However, my initial instinct would be that Bioware and the TOR team wouldn't want to be seen giving favour to one guild over the other.
Nevertheless, I will put out a few PMs and get an answer either way.

Eurogamer Expo kicks off Thursday 22nd September through to Sunday 24th September.  However, my wonderful work as prevented me from getting down any earlier than the weekend.  So we are looking at two days (most likely the busiest) to spread the word.  Plus, it gives us over 2 months to work this all out.

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 309