Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: How would you go about. . .  (Read 4311 times)

Offline Maglorius

• RIFTER
  • Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
How would you go about. . .
« on: February 24, 2012, 01:58:10 pm »
Getting your woman interested in playing video games?

Seems like a very difficult task to complete. Seems like one of those endless quest that never seems to have an end, lol.

Like to hear others thoughts, and maybe a couple of words from the women in the guild on what peaked their interest in becoming a gamer.

Offline Ketamininja

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
Re: How would you go about. . .
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 02:02:45 pm »
Hmmm, I would be interested in this too... how can I drag my wife away from "Always Sunny in Philly" to join me battling against the Sith? I suppose she might ask on some forum how to get me to watch her programmes with her, all cuddled up....

I'm a total frickin rock star from mars.
C'mon bro, I got tiger blood.

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lostlocalhost.com
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 02:03:48 pm »
I think it's impossible to get non-gamer chicks to get into it... though I would love to be wrong.

Offline Avzeke (Khr0n1k)

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 03:01:58 pm »
Quote from: "Maglorius"
Getting your woman interested in playing video games?

Seems like a very difficult task to complete. Seems like one of those endless quest that never seems to have an end, lol.

Like to hear others thoughts, and maybe a couple of words from the women in the guild on what peaked their interest in becoming a gamer.

This post is based on my own observations for girls or just anyone who is or has been in my life who did not play games. It is heavily biased towards Xbox as this is the console I have.

The key of getting anyone into gaming is accessibility. Alot of people get scared looking at controllers, that is a lot of buttons. This makes PC gaming even harder. I would start with console games. You gotta start with games that don't have complex controls and don't have complex menus or huds. That usually means casual games and motion controlled.

A Kinect is the easiest thing of all to get people into. My grandma asks to play it when she is over and tons of family members will only play games on kinect, this is even over a wii. It is simple because there isn't any buttons and it is just natural. Dance Central seems to be the number one favorite followed by kinect sports season 2.

Then you have wii games which take the full body motion out of it so you can just play to relax more.

Another way to introduce gaming is party games.
Scene it! on Xbox is one way, it comes with these really simple controllers that takes out one scary part for people
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Scene-It-LCA/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d530832

Then you got some casual games, I can only speak for Xbox so this is what I know girls have loved to play.

ilomilo
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/ilomilo/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410a1b

It is a cute little puzzle game that is simple to control, menus are simple, not really any hud at all. It actually does get challenging as it goes on.

Popcap games are ALWAYS good. Two that I know that work are

Plants vs Zombies
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Plants-vs-Zombies/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584109ff

Peggle
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Peggle/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410889

Now some tested full console games that are more complex

Kameo
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Kameo/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5307d2

It was a launch title, you can usually find it used for a couple bucks.

Viva Pinata
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Viva-Pi%C3%B1ata/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5307f2

This one is iffy. I actually got hooked on this game for awhile. It is meant for kids but it has some complex management stuff where I had spreadsheets and stuff I found online to track things I was doing. This game has either been a winner or a full loser with people.

Now the go to for any system, even PC, that I have never heard of failing for girls is.

The Sims.

Unfortunately, I don't know if you will be able to get a girl to play a mmo like SWTOR. If starting from no gaming at all it may take a long time to work up to a MMO.

Topherous Jedi Sentinel
Artifice, Archaeology, Treasure Hunting

Offline Da6onet

• VETERAN ANGEL
  • I shall either find a way or make one.
    • View Profile
    • JPL
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 03:14:34 pm »
It's analogous to asking for a threesome with your mistress. Most of the time you're already wearing on your significant other's tolerance by spending time playing video games instead of wasting it on her. But I would wager there are more women willing to put up with your gaming than those who would be cool with participating in your sordid fantasy... mmo. Just be happy she lets you have something on the side, most guys don't even get that, or they have to keep it on the D-L.
If all the world's problems were solved today, what would you have left to do tomorrow?

NEED NEW SIGNATURE, CAN PAY IN THE FORM OF BEER!!!

Offline Sared

• VETERAN ANGEL
  • Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 03:44:15 pm »
A good place to start if you ask me.

Extra Credits Season 2, Ep. 24 - Sharing Our Medium

Offline jessercas

• Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 09:10:54 pm »
Ok, so just a a starter I have to say that I had geeky/nerdy tendencies before I ever started playing MMOs.  I think that it was those tendencies that helped make it easy for my boyfriend to transition me into PC gaming.  Also he had to make some serious sacrifices to help really get me started.

For me it started with genuine curiosity into what my boyfriend was doing so I stood over his shoulder and watched him play.  Not only did I watch, I started asking lots of questions, which I know now had to have been annoying.  After asking lots of questions he just signed out and invited me to make a character on his account.  This I think is important because it was a no pressure way of me trying it, no financial investment or commitment.  I made a character and started playing with my boyfriend to baby step me the whole way.  He just sat next to me and answered my questions and tutored me through the whole process. He never got frustrated with me or seemed upset that I was taking time away from him.  If he had given me any negative feedback in the beginning I probably would just have said "screw it" and never got really into gaming.  Over a period of 3 weeks he would sign off and let me play the character I made until finally I decided I wanted to get my own account. I didn't really get hooked on MMos though until I started dating likwid and he talked me into trying DCUO which was awesome for me because, as he put it, I got to play "dress up barbie" and it was super heroes. After that I was hooked!

So that was it for me; lots of patience, no pressure, and lots of help.  If you have any questions for more specificity, let me know :)

Offline Heironymus

• Angelic Fury
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/Inner_Fatman
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 10:51:14 am »
I would say also playing to her likes in getting her started is the way to go.. if she likes fashion.. emphasis on the ability to customize and create different outfits and why some are better than others could be a good start... if she likes celebrity gossip or reading books pull her into the story line and backstory of the game.. that is a good place to get someone hooked..

Customize your sales pitch to your girl..

Offline victoriah

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whatkristinalikes.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 08:22:59 pm »
i was born this way baby.  so yeah...what they said.
Kind of agree with Dag on this tho...  and if you go into a relationship hoping the other person will change someday, don't hold your breath  lol

Offline Maglorius

• RIFTER
  • Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 07:34:57 pm »
Fantastic advice from everyone.

I appreciate all of the input.

Offline Ghisteslwchlohm

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 08:18:27 pm »
Ya, just be glad she likes you in the first place. And maybe while you're trying to get her to like things that you like, you could consider thinking about the same thing from her point of view.

Offline Maglorius

• RIFTER
  • Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 08:04:28 am »
I am with you on that one G!

I would hope she more then likes me, we have a 2 year old together lol but I get your point.

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 334