Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: New Laptop Recommendations  (Read 11237 times)

Offline Enoch

• Warrior
    • View Profile
New Laptop Recommendations
« on: November 12, 2010, 01:30:57 pm »
I was going to threajack Subb's Laptop Problem thread, but I figured it would be better to start a new one instead. I'm looking to buy a gaming laptop in January, and was wondering if anybody else had or has used one that they could recommend.

Based on the research I've done so far, I'm looking at the ASUS G73Jh. Webiste here: http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=8je5Ot4HBnKOdT81

The things I'm considering is cost, screen size (preferrably 15in, but they usually have lower specs because of a smaller body), cooling efficiency, and tech specs. Thanks in advance for the help.

Offline Da6onet

• VETERAN ANGEL
  • I shall either find a way or make one.
    • View Profile
    • JPL
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 03:34:49 pm »
I am surprised that asus doesn't offer a ssd as an option given the other specs. As far as heat goes, a spinning hdd does heat things up more. If you have to skimp on price, do it with the memory, that's easy to upgrade later (so is the hdd). Speaking from experience, don't go less than a 5800 series ati or 480 nvidia if you want to future proof the laptop for five years out. That one has a solid 5870 (granted laptop architecture can't be as fast as it's desktop counterpart, but they're comparible). Also there really is no benefit to 7 ultimate, another place to save money. As far as cooling goes, you'll just have to read anecdotal evidence, look for bsod problems and other hardware related problems. Most hardware failures are due to inadequate cooling rather than manufacturer defect.
If all the world's problems were solved today, what would you have left to do tomorrow?

NEED NEW SIGNATURE, CAN PAY IN THE FORM OF BEER!!!

Offline Enoch

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 03:40:35 pm »
Cool, thanks for that advice. I probably will upgrade the memory soon after buying it, and I am def. looking into an SSD hard drive, but they're still so darn expensive that I'm not sure on that one yet.

Offline Ghisteslwchlohm

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 11:11:12 pm »
SSD are soooooooooo expensive.

Im looking at a laptop from Sager and adding an 80G SSD costs an extra $225!

Offline ArchNemesis

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 03:52:38 pm »
In brutal honesty, I would HIGHLY recommend using a Desktop for gaming instead. Laptops are fully capable of gaming but don't scale nor last as long.

If you're stuck and absolutely need one (like me ;P) then here is my two cents.

I wouldn't go for the Asus. I've read on the Asus boards about how most people are impressed if they can keep their temps below 80c. Their build quality and cooling isn't so great. On my Alienware M15x with a Clevo 5870 i never went above 73c in ANY game. Furmark is the only thing i've managed to use that will bump me to 79c but that is after 20 minutes or so and then it goes back down once the fans full blast.

I can personally vouch for the 15in. Alienware ( I know subb and others are having problems with the 11in. one) that this thing has extremely good build quality. It also has dual fan cooling which helps with the temps tremendously. I'm gonna hit a year in Jan. and haven't had any major problems.

As Dag said, skimp on the ram and Windows 7 ultimate ( unless you run LOTS of programs that aren't compatible with 7) and you can save that money for either an SSD upgrade, which in my opinion is amazing, or something else like warranty.

In any case i would either recommend the 15in model laptops for either Alienware or Sager. Sager is probably what i see as the main competitor in terms of specs and build for Alienware. Not to mention that both can be upgraded to a certain extent.

The thing with Asus and upgrading the GPU is that they use reverse MXM which can make it a pain to upgrade aftermarket.

If you stick with the Asus just makes sure to extend that warranty. I honestly think the most important thing for a laptop is the warranty. At least with Dell, they tend to upgrade you for free after numerous problems or flat out replace the system with something equal or better.

This is also very easy to exploit but i won't get into that since it is straying a bit off topic. :P

Oh, and one last thing. I'd recommend sticking to the ATI cards if it is STRICTLY for gaming. The Nvdia cards are good but they don't justify the price increase over ATI in terms of gaming.

The cards are great if you do lots of work since Cuda and Physx are used. Otherwise, save some extra money and just get the ATI 58xx series.

Offline Ragnarok

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 06:18:00 pm »
I own an ASUS gaming laptop and I have to say that I love it. It can get quite hot at times but I have never had any issues with it.

So long as I breathe, I live. So long as I live, I fight. So long as I fight, I triumph!

Offline Enoch

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 08:01:22 pm »
Thanks for that in-depth post Arch. I'll start looking at Alienwares again. Honestly, the biggest turn off with those is that I think they're bulky and kind of ugly. But if they give me the performance I'm looking for, I'm all for it.

I currently have a half-decent desktop, but I'm selling it to Lazarus in January. I'm moving away from home next summer, and wherever I go, I don't know if I'll have much space which is why I'm looking for a laptop instead. As a film student, I've been using a Macbook Pro for the last 3 years or so, but now that I'm graduating and don't need to edit as much, I want to have a Windows laptop.

Without going into too much detail, I'm not worrying about spending on an operating system. RAM I know is easy to upgrade down the line. Hard drives a bit less easy, but still doable. So I pretty much want something with a CPU and GPU that will run SWTOR and other games over the next couple of years at least at medium specs. I'm mostly a console gamer anyway, but I don't want to be out in the cold when there's a PC game I can't play.

Offline Ragnarok

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 09:04:59 pm »
Why not just build a pc?

So long as I breathe, I live. So long as I live, I fight. So long as I fight, I triumph!

Offline Enoch

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 09:16:52 pm »
Like I said, space and mobility are at a premium or else I would.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 12:24:53 am »
I got my desktop from these guys:

http://www.ibuypower.com/IbpPages/Notebook.aspx

If you're wanting to make sure it can handle gaming, these are the guys to go to. Their website even has an option where you can pick the game and graphics setting and it will tell you which laptops will run it.

I found them to be much more customizable than Dell/Alienware for a much better price as well. My desktop hasn't given me any problems at all (had it for a year and a half).

As mentioned earlier, if you're going with a laptop, you're gonna want to make sure that baby can stay cool. All of my gaming laptops from Dell have had overheating/fan problems.

P.S. I was just informed that this was the 100,000th post on our forums!!

Offline ArchNemesis

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 07:00:38 pm »
Quote from: "Tbone"
I got my desktop from these guys:

http://www.ibuypower.com/IbpPages/Notebook.aspx

If you're wanting to make sure it can handle gaming, these are the guys to go to. Their website even has an option where you can pick the game and graphics setting and it will tell you which laptops will run it.

I found them to be much more customizable than Dell/Alienware for a much better price as well. My desktop hasn't given me any problems at all (had it for a year and a half).

As mentioned earlier, if you're going with a laptop, you're gonna want to make sure that baby can stay cool. All of my gaming laptops from Dell have had overheating/fan problems.

I had an XPS before my M15x. That bitch would go all the way up to 89c.

Terrible cooling on that sucker. The 15 and 17 inch Alienware laptops have some of the best cooling in a laptop though. 2 fans with the 15 inch and 3 on the 17 in since it can support SLI.

All you gotta do is go searching those laptop model forums and you'll find all the info you'd want. Everyone of those sections will have plenty of common problems for that particular model so you can decide and weigh them all to see what you'd want to take a gamble with.

Also, remember that it won't be that way with EVERYONE. Nocry's m11x (as far as i know) hasn't given him any problems and Subb got a lemon on his first try =/

I would still say go for a Desktop if possible though. I can't stress that enough especially if you like running everything maxed out like i do.

Every six months you'll want to upgrade the card or get a new laptop. If you're ok with bumping down graphics / having mediocre settings than it won't feel like such a waste of money.

Offline Enoch

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 11:30:43 am »
Cool. Everything seems to be leaning me towards an Alienware now, though I'm still looking at that link Tbone put up. Those look pretty sweet too.

Again, please no more suggestions for a desktop. I've had a custom built desktop for the last 8 years. I know the benefits of building your machine from scratch. I love my current desktop and have been upgrading it when needed for the last 3 years. I understand the positives over a laptop.

However, I need a laptop to conserve space. I'm probably moving to NYC next year. I'll probably be living in a tiny apartment sharing a room with a friend. I won't have space for a desktop. Plus, my work often requires me to be mobile, so a laptop is a must. If I'm going to be forced by this situation to have a laptop, I want it to be a good one. Hence, this topic.

Offline NoCry

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 12:46:52 pm »
I know Subb had a shocker with his but M11X is splendid. Plenty powerful enough to game and the battery life is rather impressive if you are not gaming. All in all, over the moon with it.

EDIT - just seen your screen size requirment. Clearly the M11X might be a little small therefore.

I too had a sager for a long time (19 or 21 inch monster) and it was put together very well indeed.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 11:23:29 pm »
100,000 posts!

Offline Hydrazine

• Recruit
    • View Profile
    • http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197967745406/
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 08:03:43 pm »
We have been looking at gaming laptops for a long time and really nothing out there can compare to an Alienware mx17 fully loaded. Its the most expensive but what you get plus the Dell support on top of it is unrivaled in my opinion.  They are built well and Alienware has a reputation of being the best. And they were in MxO, end of discussion!

* Discord

Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 59