Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Done Throwing Money Down the Drain  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Phienyx

• Angelic Fury
    • View Profile
Done Throwing Money Down the Drain
« on: May 24, 2009, 07:32:30 pm »
I'm about a gank and a half away from hitting the unsubscribe button.

I don't have the motivation or the desire to play a game who's sole purpose is to kill people and take their shit.  There isn't even any point in having the goal of establishing a home for your guild or becoming the best craftsman around.  First off, people would rather farm mobs for equiptment and gold rather than support their crafters.  I don't blame them for it.  You can do just as well on the "battlefield" with a mob dropped weapons as you can with a crafted weapon.  Who wins the battle has nothing to do with the weapon you have as it does how high you've exploited or macro'd your skills.  So it becomes less about experiencing the game and soley about playing/manipulating the mechanics.  NOT what I signed on for with DF.

....and speaking of the "battlefield".  Regardless of what Tasos said about banning hackers blah, blaah, blaaaaaah.....its all posturing bullshit.  We know these hacks exist and who's using them.  If a player is doing something that the game mechanics don't allow, they might be using a friggin hack.  Ban em!  Its not rocket science.  If they've got the "sophisticated" hack detection software they say they have, why are there so many blatant hackers?  I'll tell you why.  Its because they don't have any of this shit and they aren't really doing as much about the hacking as they say they are.  Do you seriously think that if hacking was as aggressively addressed as it has been claimed that 80% of the people that kill you would observe some very questionable, if not out right impossible actions.  Example:  I was just outside of iriendir, when I was attacked by a lone plate armored asshole.  I took off running as soon as I heard his bow being drawn back.  He hit me.  Ok so I pulled out my sword, turned around and faught back.  This fucktard was bouncing around and circle strafing me with a bow and didn't miss a shot.  Anyone who has used a bow legitimately in this game will tell you that you're not going to hit a moving target at close range all while running in circles and bunny hopping.

The thing is....I can deal with dying to someone in a straight up honest fight.  That doesn't bother me in the least.  But I can tell you that it won't be much longer that I'll be paying for a bug infested hackfest of a game like DF and I seriously wonder about the sanity of the person who is ok with this.

I will probably stick around for a couple more weeks to see if AV is able to redeem themselves.  If there have been no significant improvements to the hacking situation, I will be done.  I am not a rich man so I cannot afford to play a game that is not enjoyable.  It kinda defeats the purpose of even purchasing a game.

I honestly hope AV can pull this game out of the shitter because it has potential.

We're Angels, not saints.

Offline ZephixLeer (Zephic)

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
Re: Done Throwing Money Down the Drain
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 07:52:14 pm »
I have to admit I agree with you to some point. Quitting due to a game not being fun is not shameful at all.

The hacking in DFO has reached critical mass, so to speak. People are seen hacking not just daily, but near-hourly. I counted at least 2 while online a couple of days ago in just an hour online. Oromea disappearing in Iriendir with 16 or so people searching the entire city for them is pretty obviously the teleport or "under the ground" hack. Then there was the guy popping someone with arrows while i chased him on a mount, him dodging my every attack at just the right moment while still popping arrows into the poor cloth-wearer.

I'm sure for some it hasn't become so obvious yet, but really.. I think that all of us will agree this game has *nearly* been ruined by the exploiting that happened early on along with all of the hacks currenty present.

I'm in the same boat, of course, as everyone else. I'll stick around and wait to see what AV does, but I can't give it more than one more paid month.

Personally, I am crossing my fingers that mortal online will succeed in the areas DFO has failed. -or that DFO will get a few good patches very soon as well as some hacker bans. -MANY bans.

On a lighter side, I do believe DFO could be an amazing game and really, truely hope we can all stick around and game together in Darkfall. I only say all of the earlier things while keeping in mind that everyone including myself WANTS to stick around.

hmm.. Perhaps running FRAPS the entire time in in DFO would be good for catching hackers.. but.. AV doesn't accept that as proof. :( I suppose calling out people in the forums may be a good way to alienate people from joining certain hacking guilds though.

Offline Phienyx

• Angelic Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 08:09:48 pm »
The thing is, I'm already not a huge fan of fantasy based games.  There are already one too many out there.  However DF promised something different.....however they already had a strike against them when most of the features that would have made it diffrent were removed from the initial release or mysteriously disappeared frm the feature list.

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 10:59:49 pm »
Understandable... Personally, I'd love to get into another SWG type of game. I really loved that one back pre combat upgrade. I couldnt have played that game for ages. Player housing, pvp, seiges, player cities, space flight/ space shooter. Dungeons... etc...

Offline Manic Velocity

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • Pod Goo & Tonic
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 01:08:24 am »
Quote from: "Phienyx"
I will probably stick around for a couple more weeks to see if AV is able to redeem themselves.

I really don't mean to add fuel to the fire, I just want to say that this attitude is what a lot of MMO developers bank on.  They have the luxury of being able to honestly say "It's an MMO, it will never be perfect or complete."  It gives them a legitimate excuse to release a product that they know is sub-par.  And they know that there will always be a percentage of their customers who will essentially say "This really sucks, but I'm going to keep paying in the hopes that it gets better."

This is the only industry where the customer is willing to put up with that kind of bullshit.  If you order a burger, and they give you an uncooked wad of ground beef, you don't eat it and hope they get it right the next time.  You demand your money back and take your business elsewhere.

It's only when a company starts losing money that they are forced to look at where they must improve.

If people want developers to start owning up to their promises, they need to cancel their subscriptions until they feel the game is truly worth their money.  Crossing your fingers while unhappily handing over your monthly fee will solve nothing.

Offline Demiabeille

• Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 03:45:29 am »
It is a grand shame, because this game could be so much fun. Trouble is, the world is probably 80% full of people who want to play evil characters, or are happy to break rules. Those of us who want to play good characters are doomed to have a pretty crappy time.

I was looking on the Mortal Online forums yesterday, there was a poll asking whether you'd be good, or evil with a few levels in between. The overwhelming response was "I will be a hardcore murderer and no one will stop me!!".

This is all fine. That is what makes a game like this GREAT, and a game like WoW totally boring. You can actually choose and develop your character. I think the thing that is fundamentally wrong with DFO is that it's too easy to be evil. It should have some far harsher consequences, especially considering they have the greater majority. It may be realistic - if a country has no police or government then this is a great social experiment to demonstrate what happens ;) But it's not FUN. Not unless you feel like saying, fine, I will go evil as well, then. Hence the mass throng of PKers ever increases. Yawn.

Still a week left on my subscription, then I'll be giving it a rest, and may resub after the next patch if it looks good. Meantime, I've resubbed to EVE, and am waiting for Mortal Online which looks totally awesome but I won't get my hopes up this time (yeah right!).

Offline NoCry

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 12:34:29 pm »
Blimey do we need a new part of the forums where people can slate this game?

Guys; can I suggest that instead of going out to places where your enemies know you will be that you take the fight to the bad races and the bad people in our race? I appreciate that there are hackers about and of course have had my fair share of people who never miss and if you are lucky enough to hit take little or no damage.

If you are a crafter, take a leaf out of Jarimus' (and more recently dag's) book, read the advice they post and find your own way to enjoy the game - you will always have support if you want someone to go farm with or need protection when you are doing something. They have both got very high level crafting skills (as have a lot of us) and they found methods which worked for them.

Certainly from my end I very rarely see people actually asking for help - they are just in the middle of the map farming away and then get pissed off when the inevitable gank comes. Stop acting like prey and take the fight to them - you will find that the "them" you find very rarely cheat. Also, this is a pvp game, as jarimus mentioned the other day, gear up for the fight you know you will have when you are farming and you might stand more of a chance.

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 01:06:06 pm »
I agree that there are surely things we can do to make survivability higher. Personally, my issue lately is 90% with how AV is dealing (or not dealing) with hackers. And not just people that rigormid, but blatant hacks like flying or teleporting just to name the "modest" ones.

I could deal easily with getting ganked by legit players. But losing a set of banded and such to a hacker that teleported in and sticky targeted you? Then the /gm_report function only gets a reply at all if you ask for your items back since they were unfairly taken. And of course, what do we hear? "sorry, policy is we do not refund items." -but what are you going to do to the hacker? No reply. The gms do not have any pull in banning accounts or even have the authority to discuss the topic, it seems.

I'll love this game the day they rid it of hackers. And I don't have an unattainable standard for that either. I'd be happy with even only seeing these hacks maybe 1 out of 20 gankers. BUT, they thing that would make that acceptable would be if the gms would acctually ban hackers we report, and refund illegitimately lost items.

I'd never whine about lost items to a fair fight. But a hacker just makes it an infuriating loss.

Regardless of being more proactive in wearing better gear, or taking the fight to the enemy, you have to admit DFO has many problems and even the patches, which indeed have been great, are only releasing content that should have been in long before "release." yeah I know it's a pay to play beta. They just need the served wipe that follows the usual beta. :)

Offline Phienyx

• Angelic Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 01:53:26 pm »
My problem isn't with just being ganked.  I can deal with losing in a fair fight or to someone who is better equipt/skilled than me.  I'm ok with taking the fight to the enemy.  I'm not ok with people using hacks and exploits to beat honest players who simply wish to play the game as intended.  

If this were a occassional thing, i'd be ok with it, but 80% of the people we run into have exploited on hack.

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online