Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Rift Demos/Games of Awesomeness  (Read 5785 times)

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
Rift Demos/Games of Awesomeness
« on: July 24, 2013, 10:01:49 pm »
I'm trying to put a list together for my brother and figured I'd post it here for everyone. You can look all these up at www.riftenabled.com to figure out where to download.

Blue Marble - cool little flying in space demo. I probably prefer Titans of Space now, though

Delta Draconis - MUST TRY! Flying around in a ship on the surface of a planet or astroid. One of the best demos I've tried!

Deskope - View your desktop through the Rift. Simple enough - good to see, and will be better with higher resolution. Must be in extended desktop mode.

First Law - demo of a space sim where you can shoot down enemies. Definitely try this.

GirlMirrorLook - Cool just to see how animations can line up with your head movements. Try once and move on.

Greebles - awesome newbie experience, flying around. I like to spread my arms out like I'm flying. VERY COOL.

Half Life 2 - one of the best experiences in the Rift. Must have. Nausea warning!

Minecrift - Probably my favorite right now! I alternate back and forth between this and HL2. I like Minecraft more because I can play with other people and feels closest to the Metaverse interacting with virtual people!

Ocean Rift - Effective underwater demo with cool sharks and whales. See how low below the surface you can get!

Oculus Street View - Google street view in the Oculus. Very cool, but no 3D currently.

Qbeh - Had a few trippy moments in this demo. Definitely check it out, but nausea warning!

Proton Pulse - simple demo but lots of fun! Brick breaker in 3D. Nice change of pace when you don't want to deal with nausea. Nice game to warm up with, and the retro feel makes you feel like you are living the dream of everyone who wanted VR in the 90s.

Rift Coaster - classic that you have to do

Super Mega Mega - A good example of how a side scroller platform can be done in the Rift!

Team Fortress 2 - I've played a few times. Very cool, but the fast pace gives it a nausea warning. I'll come back to it once I have my VR legs.

Titans of Space - good demo to see scale

Trial of the Rift Drifter - Try it standing up! Nod yes or no. Very cool!

Tuscany - classic demo from Oculus. Update has more things to look at.

UDK Citadel - Another classic

VR Cinema - classic, must try experience. I plan on watching all of Jurassic Park 3D on it once I have the time! It'll be much better with high def screen

Yunalus - marked as NSFW, but really just an anime girl in an outfit standing in a room. You can definitely see the potential for the Japanese market, though.

Offline Longboard

• RIFTER
  • Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
Re: Rift Demos/Games of Awesomeness
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 10:07:57 pm »
Quote from: "Tbone"

VR Cinema - classic, must try experience. I plan on watching all of Jurassic Park 3D on it once I have the time! It'll be much better with high def screen

Do you have to have the movie in a 3D format or will it make a 1080P fill like it is 3Dish?

"It's my hokey religion, you can have your blaster!"

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 11:44:39 pm »
It will not make it look 3Dish. You can play a SBS video in 3D or you can play a regular video and it will look like watching a regular movie on a cinema size screen. Either way it's pretty nice!

Offline Longboard

• RIFTER
  • Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 01:40:38 am »
Looking forward to it!!!!

"It's my hokey religion, you can have your blaster!"

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 11:24:33 am »
Ok, I'm trying to think of the best order to start with the demos, since my brother gets his Rift on Friday. It depends on your nausea level, but..

First run the Oculus configuration utility to set your IPD, etc.!

1. Greebles - pre-determined flight and I think would be an impressive debut to VR, just looking around flying past pulsing spheres, soaking in the 3D

2. Tuscany - your introduction to actually moving around in a virtual space. They most recent version has plenty of things to look at.

3. Delta Draconis - This is where the potentially of VR will hit you. You're in the cockpit of a jet-like craft. Simply amazing.

4. Proton Pulse - By now you might be needing a break, so check this out to see how an old school game can work great in VR. Low nausea level.

5. VR Cinema - You'll really wish for a higher res screen in this demo, but you'll suddenly understand the potential of the Rift as a media viewer.

6. Half Life 2 - Close your eyes until Gman goes away. Then your mind will be blown as you truly feel INSIDE of this game!

7. Trial of the Rifter - After HL2, you'll need something simple again. Check out this short demo with a unique animation style and cool head-nodding response. Gives you an idea of the power of storytelling and different ways of using head tracking.

8. Minecrift - By now you should be getting a handle on things and will be ready to jump into a virtual world! Even Minecraft's graphics look impressive in the Rift. Join the MetaCraft server and see what it's like to interact in VR!

Offline ZephixLeer (Zephic)

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 01:03:06 pm »
Thought this may go well here. I haven't got a rift yet, so impossible to test this out for me. Any of you early rifters want to try this out? Saw it on garage games and it looks like a stoner's dream. :P haha

Watch the Aurora Borealis using the rift:
Download link: http://mit.garagegames.com/AuroraBorealis-1-2.zip

More information on development/ what was involved in putting this together:
http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/22255

Another "demo" of the Rift functionality in the Torque3D engine.
http://mit.garagegames.com/RiftValley-1-0.zip
more info on this one:
http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/22249

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 01:16:49 pm »
That is kinda trippy. The lack of 3D prevents it from being really good, but feels kinda like watching the lowest res dome IMAX of it.

Offline ZephixLeer (Zephic)

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 02:32:21 pm »
Cool.

Did you check out the rift valley demo too? Curious how the torque engine handles Rift when the content has been generated for a game-play experience.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 01:14:22 pm »
There's some good stuff coming out of the VRJam! So many released demos, it's going to take me a while to get through them all. Here's some cool demos to try that I've found so far:

Ciess - A cyberspace hacking simulation! Quite a trip! It's very well done, and reminds me of the "VR hacking" shown in movies. It's a simple enough game, but it's really fun to pretend like your hacking in a VR environment!

Epic Dragon VR - You're flying around on a dragon collecting eggs. Sounds simple, but truly is "epic"! You control the dragon with your head, and the controls work surprisingly well. If you've ever wanted to know what it would feel like to ride and control a dragon, here's your chance!

Time Rifters - Time Rifters is a single player co-op game where 'time rifts' allow you to be your own team mates. Unlock upgrades and customize each of your time clones. Strategically plan your attack with yourself in the past & future.

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 [3] 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 24