Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Columbus Day Approacheth  (Read 8336 times)

Offline Lits

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
Columbus Day Approacheth
« on: October 02, 2009, 02:19:57 am »
So with Columbus Day around the corner, I'd thought I'd open a thread, hoping to bring light to who Christopher Columbus actually was, and why I detest this holiday.

1. He collected slaves.
When Columbus first landed in the Bahamas he encountered what was most likely the Taino people, writing back to the sovreighnty that he noted their weapons were far less sophisticated than his own. He said he could "easily conquer and govern them as [he] pleased"

2. He was a child rapist.
He took the majority of the Taino people's young girls (average age 12) and sent them back as "gifts" for sex slavery to his family and friends, keeping some for himself.

3. He was a genocidist.
When he was done exhausting the Taino people (who, origionally were peaceful and amicable to him, even learning his language to better communicate for trade) of their goods, their people for slavery, and their knowledge of the surrounding land, he slaughtered them in various methods for reasons of just simply getting them out of the way. He intentionally used Small Pox as a means of destroying these people and their culture.

In short, Christopher Columbus STUMBLED upon South America by accident and then used and murdered whoever was in his way for personal financial gain and repor with the King and Queen.

Remind me again why we celebrate this holiday?

Be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.

Offline Manic Velocity

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • Pod Goo & Tonic
Re: Columbus Day Approacheth
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 09:19:49 am »
Well... he discovered America!

...oh wait.

But... he proved that the Earth is round!

...oh wait.

Anyone remember the "Jaynestown" episode of Firefly?  Mal's quote is one of my favorites:

"It's my estimation that any man who ever had a statue made of him, was one kind of son of a bitch or another."

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lostlocalhost.com
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 10:48:10 am »
It's a Hallmark holiday as far as I'm concerned...

Offline Anamodiel

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 01:29:40 pm »
I suspect that Lits wasn't exactly the most sober when she wrote this.

I could be wrong.

...And we will strike down upon those of Darkness, with great vengeance and Furious Anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

Offline Lits

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 01:59:09 pm »
Sobriety not necessary when discussing false holidays!

Offline Broin

• Second-in-Command
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
Columbus Day Approacheth
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 08:57:49 pm »
Are you kidding me...?  

Quick question.... are you still in school with those crazy whack jobs whose single purpose is to denegrate and destroy the founding ideals and principals that our whole civilization is based upon, because they simply don't like the concept of having a morale code?  Or.... have you sucked up so much of it in your time in the land of limp wristed plasctic bannana good time rock and rolla weirdo's that it is ingrained in you.

I mean if you are so concerned about Columbus whose now dead and gone, then I'm sure you are super concerned about someone like Polanski... Or how about whole Olympic thing where Obama tried to help his slum lord friends unload those areas of the projects they own at new high end prices.  

Seriously why look to the past when you have a bunch of thugs, rapist, and genocidist here in the present, several of which are best buds and installed in the white house.

Go ahead, make my day.

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lostlocalhost.com
Columbus Day Approacheth
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 09:52:45 pm »
I think it's the California air.

Offline Manic Velocity

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • Pod Goo & Tonic
Columbus Day Approacheth
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 10:02:07 pm »
Quote from: "Broin"
Are you kidding me...?  

Quick question.... are you still in school with those crazy whack jobs whose single purpose is to denegrate and destroy the founding ideals and principals that our whole civilization is based upon, because they simply don't like the concept of having a morale code?  Or.... have you sucked up so much of it in your time in the land of limp wristed plasctic bannana good time rock and rolla weirdo's that it is ingrained in you.

I mean if you are so concerned about Columbus whose now dead and gone, then I'm sure you are super concerned about someone like Polanski... Or how about whole Olympic thing where Obama tried to help his slum lord friends unload those areas of the projects they own at new high end prices.  

Seriously why look to the past when you have a bunch of thugs, rapist, and genocidist here in the present, several of which are best buds and installed in the white house.

But none of the present thugs, rapists and genocidists have their own national holiday. It's only after a few centuries of ridicule that the assholes are glorified. Lincoln sure as hell wasn't considered a civil rights hero in his own time. Maybe in a hundred years or so we'll have Bush Day or Obama Day.  

Honestly, I found this thread a bit of an eye-opener. I remember blindly accepting what I was taught in school; that Columbus set sail with three ships and single-handedly killed two birds with one stone and gave Spain the finger. Then a few years later, I learned that was all bullshit. But it never occured to me that he was a child rapist, of all things.

I've been helping the step-daughter with her schoolwork lately, and I'm really trying to encourage her to question the things she is taught. I know she just wants to get the work done so she can go hang out with her friends, but I keep pushing it little by little.  Every now and then I see something stick with her and it makes it entirely worth it. If she knew these things about Columbus, I know full well that she would mirror Lits' sentiments.

Offline Ash

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
Columbus Day Approacheth
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 12:35:27 pm »
Quote from: "ManicVelocity"
Are you kidding me...?  

But none of the present thugs, rapists and genocidists have their own national holiday. It's only after a few centuries of ridicule that the assholes are glorified. Lincoln sure as hell wasn't considered a civil rights hero in his own time. Maybe in a hundred years or so we'll have Bush Day or Obama Day.  

Honestly, I found this thread a bit of an eye-opener. I remember blindly accepting what I was taught in school; that Columbus set sail with three ships and single-handedly killed two birds with one stone and gave Spain the finger. Then a few years later, I learned that was all bullshit. But it never occured to me that he was a child rapist, of all things.

I've been helping the step-daughter with her schoolwork lately, and I'm really trying to encourage her to question the things she is taught. I know she just wants to get the work done so she can go hang out with her friends, but I keep pushing it little by little.  Every now and then I see something stick with her and it makes it entirely worth it. If she knew these things about Columbus, I know full well that she would mirror Lits' sentiments.

You might want to skip the "child-rapist" bit though...just my 2 cents.

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men"

Offline Manic Velocity

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • Pod Goo & Tonic
Columbus Day Approacheth
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 02:43:35 pm »
Quote from: "Yotogi"
Quote from: "ManicVelocity"
Are you kidding me...?  

You might want to skip the "child-rapist" bit though...just my 2 cents.

Well I know that now.  Where the hell were you yesterday?

Offline Lits

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
Columbus Day Approacheth
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 02:44:14 am »
morale code?

I think the word you're looking for is "moral" code.

And I only bring it up, like Manic said, because it's been made a national holiday. And as far as questioning what you are told, it is the nature of progress and evolution. "Dissent is the highest form of patriotism." Much like your dissent of the Obama administration.

See everybody gets along because we all respect each others' right to an opinion :)

Offline Da6onet

• VETERAN ANGEL
  • I shall either find a way or make one.
    • View Profile
    • JPL
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 06:30:07 am »
Speaking of dissent...

Quote from: "Lits"
[Columbus] intentionally used Small Pox as a means of destroying these people and their culture.

Do a quick google search for "columbus intentionally using small pox" and you'll come across many ranting blogs/opinions but no actual evidence.

The closest thing you'll find to this folklore is that Peter d'Errico's research on Lord Jeffrey Amherst, commander of British forces in North America during the French and Indian War (1756-'63). link

Now it doesn't make Columbus a nicer guy, but lets at least blame the small pox on the ignorance of medical knowledge in late 15th century and these little shits

If all the world's problems were solved today, what would you have left to do tomorrow?

NEED NEW SIGNATURE, CAN PAY IN THE FORM OF BEER!!!

Offline Lithium

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://followtheangel.org
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 08:00:04 am »
You're right, the holiday should be changed to George S. Patton day. But alas he is a terrible man too. His only good deed was saving THE WORLD from Hitler.

So, instead we will just make it Santa Clause day, because Santa Clause only brings joy and cheer and does no evil.

Don't believe everything you think.

Offline Broin

• Second-in-Command
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
Columbus Day Approacheth
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 09:17:05 am »
Quote from: "Lits"
morale code?

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism." Much like your dissent of the Obama administration.

That thee is just funny... Just like ole Hillary said everyone has a right to dissent and disagree.  Well unless you disagree with Obama and the Dems because then they call you things like

Racist
Bigots
Homophob
Nazi
Skin Head
Turn Coat
Uncle Tom
Inciting Violence

LOL I could go on and on but you get the idea... And before I hear this crap about they all do it... This is coming from the Dem leadership not some rank and file member at a protest rally.  These things come from the top when they address US citizens through the medis or during house and senate sessions.

Go ahead, make my day.

Offline Setun

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
Columbus Day Approacheth
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 09:50:50 am »
Considering most famous people in history have had their share of fuckedupness, I'm not surprised Columbus did this...if you look up any big name in history, you'll find some really shitty stuff about them.  I'm pretty damn sure Columbus did what he did because that's most likely how they handled "savages" in his time.  He prob did it without even thinking he was doing anything wrong.

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 25
  • Dot Hidden: 0