Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Need Help - Job Hunting  (Read 4459 times)

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
Need Help - Job Hunting
« on: January 03, 2014, 05:21:20 pm »
Hey guys,

Well, 2014 is for shit. I got let go today from my server job due to their low volume. They were supposed to enclose our patio and didn't do it, so they basically said they didn't have enough shift availability to keep me on through the winter and to reapply in the spring (I was the most recent hire).

So at the moment, I'm fucked. I got blindsided and have nothing. It's really got me down, but maybe it'll open up an opportunity - who knows. I need a job. If any of you have any suggestions, regardless of location, let me know. I don't want to move but would not be opposed to it for the right job.

Most of you know my leadership, managing, and organization skills. You should also have an idea of my technological capabilities. Customer service, sales, restaurant, performance - I have experience in all of these. Basic video editing, photo editing, etc. - though not professionally. Last year I started my own theatre company and that's still going, but it doesn't pay.

Any help or advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Offline Anamodiel

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help - Job Hunting
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 06:04:52 pm »
:(

...And we will strike down upon those of Darkness, with great vengeance and Furious Anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

Offline Akiya

• Meat Shield
    • View Profile
    • http://darkwatchinstitute.webs.com/index.html
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 09:12:03 pm »
If you work for a phone store (I've been with Sprint for the past 10 months), the pay is good, but you have to deal with jerk customers. Knowing about computers would give you a big edge in the field, since phones are pretty much mini computers anymore. It's a great job to just have a job and get paid, and it's a growing business that will always need more people. On the down side, there isn't much room to grow with any of the companies, as most "promotions" tend to be lateral. And you might have to ignore the fact that most of the time, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. But, that's pretty much anything to do with customer service.

Offline Sared

• VETERAN ANGEL
  • Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 09:21:20 pm »
Move to Colorado and grow weed with me.

(On phone, will add something more useful when I get home.)

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 09:46:21 pm »
If you work for a phone store (I've been with Sprint for the past 10 months), the pay is good, but you have to deal with jerk customers. Knowing about computers would give you a big edge in the field, since phones are pretty much mini computers anymore. It's a great job to just have a job and get paid, and it's a growing business that will always need more people. On the down side, there isn't much room to grow with any of the companies, as most "promotions" tend to be lateral. And you might have to ignore the fact that most of the time, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. But, that's pretty much anything to do with customer service.
I applied for a job with AT&T a few months ago when I was looking for work. They contacted me about an interview, but I had already accepted the job that I just loss. I got an auto-email less than a month ago saying they had hired someone else. Oops...

Offline Sared

• VETERAN ANGEL
  • Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 01:11:08 am »
So, real talk time, as a part of my trek to Washington I've been looking at trade schools in the area.

Metropolitan areas are littered with these things, with anywhere from an 8-12 month intensive training program (this one being IT Networking) and a 95% job placement rate, it would land one with a company like Dell, Cisco, or even Google.

The downside is the 'going 40k into the hole' part, but I'm thinking that is a much smaller amount to be chained with in the long-term scheme of things, particularly when the jobs being offered net anywhere from 60-110k a year.

Take a look at a short-term trade school maybe? Take out a short-term student loan on it and still have an acting degree to fall on in the future? Just some of my own life plans that I thought might be worth sharing.

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 131