Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Return to Darkfall 14-Day Trial  (Read 12907 times)

Offline Erathaol

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
Return to Darkfall 14-Day Trial
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2010, 03:31:20 pm »
Yup, looks like we're all naked on the US server.  One downside that I've seen is though my items didn't transfer with me, my quest log did.  So I can't go around doing those useful newbie quests that reward you with basic gear.  All the downsides of being a totally new character, with none of the benefits!

Also, skill progression is so fast it makes my previous accomplishments seem pretty darn insignificant.

I figured we'd be meeting in King's Holdfast, since that's where we spent the most time back at the beginning.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2010, 03:34:29 pm »
God I'm sick of this backpack system again already. They certainly haven't improved the inventory system.

Offline Da6onet

• VETERAN ANGEL
  • I shall either find a way or make one.
    • View Profile
    • JPL
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2010, 03:37:30 pm »
Quote from: "Erathaol"
I figured we'd be meeting in King's Holdfast, since that's where we spent the most time back at the beginning.

Definitely brought back memories popping up in Iriendir when I first logged back in, I'll hike back down to King's this evening.
If all the world's problems were solved today, what would you have left to do tomorrow?

NEED NEW SIGNATURE, CAN PAY IN THE FORM OF BEER!!!

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 06:42:24 pm »
Surprisingly, my second look at Darkfall has been a lot more pleasant than my first go round.

First of all, skilling up is easier. I'd say they increased the rate of skilling by at least 10x. I'd say for every .01 we used to get in a skill, you now get .10 (I haven't even see skills go up by a .01 sort of decimal anymore.

It's not nearly as populated. I have not seen a red yet. I haven't had to worry about getting ganked at all. Also, easy mobs are easier to kill. All the mobs are easier, but I can finally solo goblins and skeletons and whatnot.

I'm seeing clans taking over cities all the time, so I know there is still activity. I just think at this point all of the hostility has moved well beyond the newb areas and it's more of a "get into it when you're ready" sort of thing. I could easily see us being able to skill up and gear up in peace in preparation for trying to get our own city.

It's still not an easy game. The unforgiveness of the game still exists - mobs are harder than they are in most games, you lose all your loot, inventory is a bitch (thought it does auto-stack now!)

I've definitely been able to concentrate on the stuff I liked about the game. I like that it requires a team to complete most things, that there's always some goal to be working towards, and that there's always an element of danger. A lot of the headache is gone...at least so far. But we'll see what song I'm singing next week.

Offline NoCry

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 03:12:50 am »
I agree with you T. I also think the new abilities/ upgrades are very exciting.

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://omeganerd.com
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 02:15:23 pm »
Dude, if you guys get back into DF I'm so there.  I really really had a good time with you all there.
"To the darkened skies once more and ever onward."

Offline ArchNemesis

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 02:30:03 pm »
Yup. I've only had ONE encounter with some dwarf being douchy with his fire sword, but oddly enough i was able to parry all his attacks with my shitty wooden shield and make it back to town without him taking me down beyond a 1/5th of my health. After i made it back to town he just left and that was the last hostile encounter i've had in the game. I can't believe the amount of Ore and wood i've gathered without a problem. The fear is still there but so far i've had little problems gathering and it sure feels good.

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 05:55:50 pm »
I'm trying to remember the biggest complaints before.  

Zerging?
Exploiting?
Hacking?
Everyone just being a clone of one another due to unbalanced skills
All race clans?

Any of that stuff fixed?

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 06:17:29 pm »
The biggest problems were

the grind
hacking/sploits
ARAC guilds/uber alliances

The grind has been fixed, from what I can tell. Skills go up a LOT quicker now. Combat skills are leveled by fighting mobs...I'm not even sure that they go up when fighting a player now. At the very least they go up a lot slower if fighting another player.

This is the NA server, so all of the uber chars that got there by hacking/sploiting don't exist. There's still uber characters since the game has been out for over a year, but at least they, for the most part, should have gotten there fairly. There's less threat in the newb areas/leveling areas since most people are past that content, so it technically wouldn't take us near as long to achieve our goals.

From the asking around I did, ARAC (all race all clan, I think it means?) guilds/alliances still exist. The devs apparently said that race isn't really going to matter much. So despite the game even giving you specific quests to kill the other races, people are still grouped up with everybody. The good news is that the "uber alliances" that encompassed half the server apparently don't exist anymore.

I'd say that if we picked Darkfall back up, we'd have a much more enjoyable time than the first time around, as long as we don't piss off anyone enough for them to follow us around the game ganking us again...haha. I've still been ganked, but it's to be expected. For it to have only happened once in like 4 days of playing isn't that bad.

Offline NoCry

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2010, 03:52:28 am »
As I said to Ana yesterday; I always actually enjoyed the game (but not, in hindsight the politics).

Sure, there are vindictive idiots around but there are in many games. That being said, the pvp is fun and frankly I quite like the excitement of knowing that I stand to lose my belongings at any one point.

I am enjoying levelling my skills to get me more viable in pvp and it feels much less of a grind now.

The four or so of us active in this game have a good mix of crafting/ farming abilities (although we need your armour Dag and your bows adad!)

Offline Da6onet

• VETERAN ANGEL
  • I shall either find a way or make one.
    • View Profile
    • JPL
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2010, 08:48:23 pm »
Quote from: "NoCry"
The four or so of us active in this game have a good mix of crafting/ farming abilities (although we need your armour Dag and your bows adad!)

Just got my new computer up and running, installing programs overnight including darkfall, should be good to go tomorrow, though it will take a while to get the supplies needed to make plate armor again!
If all the world's problems were solved today, what would you have left to do tomorrow?

NEED NEW SIGNATURE, CAN PAY IN THE FORM OF BEER!!!

Offline Anamodiel

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2010, 10:06:20 pm »
http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=244731

Here's a good read from Tasos, regarding character/skill progression. Of note: AFK/online skill gain system: We have specific plans concerning this.

...And we will strike down upon those of Darkness, with great vengeance and Furious Anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2010, 04:10:55 pm »
hehe all this DF talk got me lookin for videos again.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpAhze6ralQ

Gets your blood pumpin don't it?  Forgot how much I enjoyed this game despite all the fail.

Offline NoCry

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2010, 04:53:24 pm »
download and move then likwid;)

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2010, 04:57:40 pm »
I am I am.

What's the head count of the number of FA resubbing?

* Discord

Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 [30]

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online