Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 6392 times)

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
Elite: Dangerous
« on: August 30, 2014, 03:20:32 pm »
My brother and I caved and bought into the beta of Elite: Dangerous (we went halfsies on it). I've spent the last day or so setting up voice commands with VoiceAttack and getting keybinds set up and figuring out the game itself. So far it's a lot of fun and plays very well in the Rift!

I know a few people were keeping an eye on Star Citizen, but with that game being a year off, I was thinking we should make Elite our first VR MMO that we support. There's a lot of people playing it on the DK2 right now and many have them have expressed interest in grouping up on a TS server, etc.

If done right, we can promote FA as an Elite guild. Thoughts?

Offline Maglorius

• RIFTER
  • Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Elite: Dangerous
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 06:29:47 pm »
My thoughts are I'll give anything a chance.

But, I have a feeling when the day comes when both games are in full operations we will see a major shift.

The passion I have for Star Citizens is very high because I know who is behind the project. Chris Roberts games brought many hours of enjoyment from all of the Wing Commander games, to Star Lancer and to Freelancer. I wear that passion on my sleeve a little, lol.

Many people doubt that he will be able to bring the project to a final product, but I ask you, why does Star Citizens have a bigger following in comparison to Elite: Dangerous.  I honestly believe that in longevity SC will out perform.

Star Citizens - 540,000 backers = $52,000,000+ and counting.
Elite: Dangerous - 22,000 backers = $2,800,000+

I will probably get involved with Elite: Dangerous for a little while until SC becomes closer to a finished product, and I have a feeling that many of the SC backers are going to do the same. Remember, even Chris Roberts helped fund Elite: Dangerous.

Just my thoughts for now.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 08:40:24 pm »
I kinda came to a different conclusion for the same reasons. My fear is that the scope of Star Citizen will make it a VERY hard game to port to the Oculus Rift. From the videos I've seen and even walking around the hanger myself, there's a lot of auto-animations that remind me of Titanfall, where the camera takes over. You can't do that in the Rift. There's also all the first person walking around - time outside of the ship.

So far in Elite: Dangerous, everything takes place inside of the ship. You never have to worry about forced perspective or losing that sense of immersion, because you're always in the cockpit. They also already have excellent Oculus Rift support, whereas Star Citizen has not implemented any sort of support. This tells me that Elite: Dangerous puts Rift-compatibility at a high priority while Star Citizen does not. My big fear is that they will realize that, because of everything they want to accomplish in Star Citizen, they'll have to sacrifice Rift support to make sure they appeal to the majority of their backers.

All of that said, Elite: Dangerous is only $50 (when it goes out of Beta), and that's worth a year of virtual space flying in an MMO in my book, even if we were to switch down the road.

Offline Maglorius

• RIFTER
  • Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 09:47:49 pm »
I am completely newb when it comes to the Rift and what to look for, I am sure once I get the DK2 in October I'll be able to experience those issues, if they haven't ironed them out by then.

From what I am gathering is SC and ED will have the same level of immersion. They both will have a FPS element, landing parties on planets, boarding parties to take over large ships and getting out of your ship etc but ED will have those things at a later time.

I have no doubt that SC will have complete rift support, Chris Roberts has talked about it on different videos I have seen. From what i have read he is also working with the CryTek engineers to fix the issues they are currently having between the Rift and CryEngine.

I can already envision a big group flying into battle against a frigate and launching a boarding party of soldiers to try and capture and take it over while the other part of the team is battling fighters in space, that sounds like a whole lot of fun.

When I get home on the 11th, I'll jump into ED beta, I have no problem checking out another space sim, even 75 bucks is worth a years time of entertainment, I can't even go to a movie by myself without spending close to 40 bucks lol.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 07:04:05 am by Maglorius »

Offline Maglorius

• RIFTER
  • Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 07:11:53 am »
I forgot to add, if you read the forums for SC, a lot of the backers only got involved in the project because SC implemented rift support for the DK1 in the hanger module. I have also seen videos of people using the DK1 in the dog fighting module.

So the support is there but they are not as far into development because it's only pre - alpha.

Offline Okinyo

• Meat Shield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 03:51:05 am »
I know SC is about a year and a half away but I feel that it is worth the wait. Rift and Track IR support are definitely in the works for SC.  I have not looked into ED as of yet, so I will give it a try.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 06:07:42 pm »

Offline Lithium

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://followtheangel.org
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 08:06:23 pm »
About time... they are saying it still might be a version behind.

Don't believe everything you think.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 01:57:32 am »
About time... they are saying it still might be a version behind.
Yeah, but it should at least fix the SSE issue.

Offline DJLonestarr

• Furious Angel
  • StrprDJ
    • View Profile
    • Stayin' Alive Gaming
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 05:10:00 pm »
I've been checking out that game and it looks very interesting.  Does it work well with the oculus right now?  If so, I'll be picking it up in a couple days.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 08:33:49 pm »
I've been checking out that game and it looks very interesting.  Does it work well with the oculus right now?  If so, I'll be picking it up in a couple days.
Yes and no. The game looks great with the DK2! I use VoiceAttack to make controls easier. Performance is the biggest drawback. It's pretty hard to keep 75 frames in certain areas, and when it dips, you're hit with a lot of judder.

Offline DJLonestarr

• Furious Angel
  • StrprDJ
    • View Profile
    • Stayin' Alive Gaming
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 04:12:02 pm »
So it's all downloaded.  Just setting up voice commands like you said.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 04:25:29 pm by DJLonestarr »

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 06:12:27 pm »
Cool. Now that I have direct mode kinda working I might see if that fixes some of my performance issues.

Offline Lithium

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://followtheangel.org
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 06:52:55 pm »
Cool. Now that I have direct mode kinda working I might see if that fixes some of my performance issues.

My direct mode has always worked for some apps, but it never had for Elite Dangerous.

Don't believe everything you think.

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 [2] 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online