Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: This deserves its own thread.  (Read 5092 times)

Offline Anamodiel

• Staff
    • View Profile
This deserves its own thread.
« on: January 25, 2012, 03:05:10 pm »
Normally I would just post this in the randomness thread, but that sometimes gets cluttered with randomness, and this is certainly an event big enough in my life worth its own thread.

‎"Congratulations! We are pleased to inform you that the Admissions Committee has recommended your acceptance into the MS in Accounting Program at Michigan State University's Eli Broad Graduate School of Management."

I'm going to grad school! Seriously, I'm going to grad school. I'M GOING TO GRAD SCHOOL.

I joined this faction when I was fifteen years old and still had a bed time. I remember when I interviewed I had to ask my dad if I could stay up late enough for it because it was on a school night. I was still in high school. Seriously, where does the time go? Three years ago I had no idea I wanted to be an accountant. I had applied to colleges all over the country (University of North Carolina, University of Colorado - Boulder, Pepperdine University) and found myself going to Michigan State University, my backup school an hour away from me. I was devastated I was going to my safety school and a school that so many of my classmates were going to.

I went into college initially thinking I wanted to be a business lawyer. I wanted to be that for about a semester until I took my first accounting class with the single greatest professor you will ever have in your life. I changed my major at the beginning of the semester, and haven't looked back. Turns out, Michigan State's accounting undergrad program is ranked as the 9th best in the country right now, according to some report released in December. Yup. We're also the Premiere school in Michigan, according to the Big 4 Accounting firms.

I'll have my undergrad this May, and one year from now I will have my Masters in Tax Accounting. From there, I already have a full-time job offer in the bag at the fourth largest accounting firm in the world and one of the Top 10 Businesses in the country to start your career. To those who say life never works out, that's a patent, bold faced lie. Your life is what you make of it, and if you work hard and prioritize right, you can literally do anything you want. Not only that, while life may throw a curveball at you every once in a while, everything ALWAYS works out. It may just take a while sometimes.

Alright, getting off of the podium now because I have some accounting to do before we raid tonight.

Want to know the most ironic thing, by the way? I'm so old that I can get accepted into the Nation's 8th best MS in Accounting Graduate program... but I can't even legally order a drink at a bar. There's something wrong with that picture.

...And we will strike down upon those of Darkness, with great vengeance and Furious Anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lostlocalhost.com
Re: This deserves its own thread.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 03:20:52 pm »
I posted that I was having a baby in the randomness thread...

I'm just sayin'.

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lostlocalhost.com
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 03:21:41 pm »
KIDDDING! That's huge news man! Big congrats to you!

Offline Mharz

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 03:42:23 pm »
Well done Ana.  Enjoy grad school.  It was maybe one of my favorite times in my life.  /golfclap

Offline Manic Velocity

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • Pod Goo & Tonic
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 03:47:03 pm »
Congrats Ana!

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://omeganerd.com
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 03:59:39 pm »
Really happy for you Ana!  You're kicking ass and taking names.  

Be humble, gracious and ridiculously thankful for every advantage, helping hand, awesome teacher, supportive family member and kick ass faction who supports you along the way. As far as I know you're pulling out an awesome GPA and that's going to help out tons, no doubt.  Those internships are worth even more.  The job market is effin hardcore right now so it's good that you've already got a leg up on the competition.  Make no mistake, unless you already have some very solid connections, you're going to have to fight your ass off for that job later.  You got this though.  :)

I wish you all the success that you've worked hard for bud.  Don't forget us little people when you're rollin in the millions.  :D

It's crazy seeing some of us growing up and moving on in life.  It'll be neat if we still are a faction and close community another 5 years or so down the road.

Anyway, many many congrats to you thus far!
"To the darkened skies once more and ever onward."

Offline Erathaol

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 05:49:48 pm »
Congratulations, Ana!

Way to kick life straight in the nuts and make it your bitch!
You've got everything set out for you so well so early; truly a testament to hard work and perseverance.

Offline Jeyk

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.followtheangel.org
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 06:29:45 pm »
Congratulations Ana, I'm very happy for you!  Grad school will be quite a memorable and valuable experience.  Savor it, and keep up the excellent work, brother!

Offline Strod

• Angelic Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 06:31:05 pm »
Congratulations Anamodiel!

Very proud to call you a friend, awesome job!

Furious since 2006.

Offline Mythrillian

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 07:09:43 pm »
Awesome Congrats!!!!!!!!!

Offline ZephixLeer (Zephic)

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 07:12:17 pm »
Ana, my only bit of advice... Though I realize you've already had some time to maybe see some of this. It's always good to keep a firm grip on why you're where you are in life and where you're headed.

I really messed up my college career before it ever got off the ground by worrying too much about the college "experience" and not enough about the piece of paper you get at the end. I found myself questioning the system, and wanting to test out of courses early. In the end, I burned myself out, began getting frustrated with the whole education system and eventually going the opposite direction and partying too much, losing sight of my real goals.

You're going to have times where the classes are boring, you know way more than everyone else, you can't wait to move forward, but you feel held back by how slowly the classes are moving. You'll also have those times when it's quite the opposite and you'll wish they'd slow down and give you time to breath a little. Just always keep in mind that in the end, it will all pay off as long as you keep your goal clear to yourself. Don't forget why you are there, and don't be dragged into the wrong mind-set by the party crowds.

It's so hard to stay on that straight and narrow path that rewards you in a degree and career at the end. Just stick with it and I know you'll succeed. Be vigilant in protecting your goals, but also be sure to give yourself a few breaks on the weekends when you can afford the time. Burn out is a serious issue that can cause you to eventually go downhill fast.

Anyway, congratulations on being accepted and enjoy the time you have to learn!

Offline Ash

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 08:36:28 pm »
Congrats!!! Very proud of you!!

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men"

Offline Theresa

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 03:04:49 am »
Congratulations! :D :D :D

Offline Anamodiel

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 06:45:11 am »
75 likes on my status about this. Whatupppppp.

...And we will strike down upon those of Darkness, with great vengeance and Furious Anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

Offline Da6onet

• VETERAN ANGEL
  • I shall either find a way or make one.
    • View Profile
    • JPL
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 08:20:09 am »
Quote from: "Anamodiel"
75 likes on my status about this. Whatupppppp.

Congrats and may the force be with you :-)
If all the world's problems were solved today, what would you have left to do tomorrow?

NEED NEW SIGNATURE, CAN PAY IN THE FORM OF BEER!!!

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 15